M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok im about 100 miles from my 1st oil change and the one thing i remember from the dealer when i bought my bike was that when i do an oil change make sure that the oil type meets the API SF/SG or SH/SJ with JASO MA.

Went to wallmart wanting to buy Moible 1 fully senthitic oil and all of the API's were not the API i was looking for. I looked at oil for probably 20 min then i got pissed off and left lol. I was tempted to purchase 15w40 Fully Senthitic Mobile 1 but was worried about the API.

Does anyone know if that stuff would of been ok for my bike. im picky about my *****

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
From Oil Doc:

The following link is to the Second Edition of a Series of Tests performed on the top M/C oils. These tests were performed by Several of The Top Testing Facilities in the US and will give you more information than you can get in any one place.

Pick one of the top 3 finishers and you are sure to have a good oil.

http://bestoil4you.com/files/MC_Oil_Study.pdf

REGARDLESS of Brand, Synthetic or petroleum, I recommend a Motorcycle Specific oil with a JASO MA Rating, better yet, MA 2 but Never MB.

If anyone tells you there is no difference between an auto/diesel oil and a Motorcycle specific, they have been misinformed and are passing on bad information.

Oil, is the LifeBlood of your engine. The oil filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Ok im about 100 miles from my 1st oil change and the one thing i remember from the dealer when i bought my bike was that when i do an oil change make sure that the oil type meets the API SF/SG or SH/SJ with JASO MA.

Went to wallmart wanting to buy Moible 1 fully senthitic oil and all of the API's were not the API i was looking for. I looked at oil for probably 20 min then i got pissed off and left lol. I was tempted to purchase 15w40 Fully Senthitic Mobile 1 but was worried about the API.

Does anyone know if that stuff would of been ok for my bike. im picky about my *****
Just make it easy if you go by your stealer to the parts dept they have all the oil you need from synth to reg

·
Registered
2,703 Posts

Walmart dosen't keep the Mobil 1 MC oil with the rest of the oil, it sits on a shelf with the MC accessories. Out of the 3 walmarts I have been in recently they are all in the exact same spot.

·
Registered
310 Posts
i just bought my m109r used two weeks ago so i changed the oil right away..
im using valvoline 10w40 4 stroke motorcycle oil..used in both my gixxers love the stuff...i have tried synthetic but clutch tended to slip..

·
Registered
232 Posts
M109R Lubricants

I've been in the industrial and high performance lubricant business for 35 years now. There are several different products on the market that will provide excellent protection for your 109. Amsoil Full Synthetic and Mobil 1 motorcycle oil work very well. After running used oil analysis on my 109 using several brands, I have switched to Castrol Power 1 Racing 4T - 10W-40. It handles the oxidation issues found in V-Twins better than the Amsoil and Mobil1 with increased engine performance. If you can't find it at your local motorcycle dealership, send me a quick email ([email protected]). I'll work on getting you some.
Beware of automotive products both mineral and synthetic. These are NOT designed to be used in transmissions. If your current oil says "energy conserving" in the API sybol on the container, it's the WRONG oil. The additives will actually cause slipping problems in your transmission. You may not realize it or feel it, but your losing horsepower.8)

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've been in the industrial and high performance lubricant business for 35 years now. There are several different products on the market that will provide excellent protection for your 109. Amsoil Full Synthetic and Mobil 1 motorcycle oil work very well. After running used oil analysis on my 109 using several brands, I have switched to Castrol Power 1 Racing 4T - 10W-40. It handles the oxidation issues found in V-Twins better than the Amsoil and Mobil1 with increased engine performance. If you can't find it at your local motorcycle dealership, send me a quick email ([email protected]). I'll work on getting you some.
Beware of automotive products both mineral and synthetic. These are NOT designed to be used in transmissions. If your current oil says "energy conserving" in the API sybol on the container, it's the WRONG oil. The additives will actually cause slipping problems in your transmission. You may not realize it or feel it, but your losing horsepower.8)
I use mobil 1 15/50 car oil that is not engery conserving

·
Radio Active Member
27,668 Posts
I use mobil 1 15/50 car oil that is not engery conserving
Here is a copy of some of there fact sheet.

Applications
Mobil 1 15W-50 is recommended for all types of modern vehicles, including high-performance turbo-charged, supercharged gasoline and diesel multi-valve fuel injected engines found in passenger cars, SUVs, light vans and trucks.

Notice it does not state motorcycles. Because it is not specked to work with clutches in the trans. I hope that it works out for you in the long term.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,864 Posts
:welcome: to the forum and thanks for the information. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Oil Specs

Here is a copy of some of there fact sheet.

Applications
Mobil 1 15W-50 is recommended for all types of modern vehicles, including high-performance turbo-charged, supercharged gasoline and diesel multi-valve fuel injected engines found in passenger cars, SUVs, light vans and trucks.

Notice it does not state motorcycles. Because it is not specked to work with clutches in the trans. I hope that it works out for you in the long term.
You are exactly right. Google "Mobil 1 Motorcycle Oil". They differentiate the their Motorcycle Oil from the 15W-50 by saying: "blended to meet the unique needs of motorcycles". They are talking specifically about the transmissions and clutches. Read the Mobil 1 15w-40 info. It is designed to cover several different applications such as older engines, diesels and some high performance engines, not motorcycles. Go to: www.castrolmoto.com and read up on a product designed just for motorcycles. Lots of great information on some great products. I am a true believer!8)

·
Radio Active Member
27,668 Posts
You are exactly right. Google "Mobil 1 Motorcycle Oil". They differentiate the their Motorcycle Oil from the 15W-50 by saying: "blended to meet the unique needs of motorcycles". They are talking specifically about the transmissions and clutches. Read the Mobil 1 15w-40 info. It is designed to cover several different applications such as older engines, diesels and some high performance engines, not motorcycles. Go to: www.castrolmoto.com and read up on a product designed just for motorcycles. Lots of great information on some great products. I am a true believer!8)
I might give it a try on my next oil change.

·
Registered
194 Posts
oil PLEASE HELP

:dontknow:eek:k, thank you for the great info about Castrol Power 1 Racing 4T - 10W-40. The only problem is that I can't find this oil anywhere. I called Castrol and they sent me to one website and a distributor in California. Called them and neither one have this oil. I have even called some of the motorcycle shops and still no luck, also tried e-bay. Does the chit even exist??? If anyone can help me on where to purchase this oil that would be great.

thank you
BDK

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm using the castrol dino oil too. Seems like great stuff and its only like 2.50 a quart. I bought it at Autozone but I'm sure advanced and napa and oreilly probably have it too. I picked it cause it meets all suzukis requirements and no one here has complained about it yet. I also went with a fram filter cause they aren't that expensive and ill be doing changes more often than every 4k.

·
Radio Active Member
27,668 Posts
:dontknow:eek:k, thank you for the great info about Castrol Power 1 Racing 4T - 10W-40. The only problem is that I can't find this oil anywhere. I called Castrol and they sent me to one website and a distributor in California. Called them and neither one have this oil. I have even called some of the motorcycle shops and still no luck, also tried e-bay. Does the chit even exist??? If anyone can help me on where to purchase this oil that would be great.

thank you
BDK
Because the 4T 10w40 is Mobil 1 not Castrol. I went to my local dealer and the Castrol is not a full synthetic. It starts off with a synthetic base.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts