M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I've been considering replacing my turn signals and possibly creating some super small driving lights utilizing the Luxeon 3 or 5 watt LEDs. If your not familiar with these LEDs, they are the newest and brightest LEDs on the market today. The 5 watt versions are insanely bright and can cause blindness if you look at them direct with the naked eye. I have several Luxeon 1 watt flashlights and they are much brighter than even my halogen MAG-lights.

At around $5-$8 each (depending on color). These are an excellent light source and are available in a circular array of 6 or 12 LED emitters.

Anyone else considered this?

These things are small...

This is a single emitter..

This is the star emitter..

This is the circle array of emitters...

These come in either 6 or 12 emitters. This would make for some bright-azz driving lights!!

This is an example of a single 3 watt Luxeon LED (in various colors) in a Star Wars style lightsaber (where I got the idea).

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
that's pretty interesting. how big are they? bigger than typical LEDs? could make some nice, inconspicous fog lights with something like that.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Updated post with pics..

The LEDs are about the size of a pencil eraser. They DO require heatsinks!

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
the only thing I've noticed about LEDs is their inability to really throw a good beam of light without a good lens or reflector. Even the brightest ones, to me, don't seem like they would make real good driving lights. Sure, they would be very bright to oncoming traffic (a big plus indeed), but not sure if they would help out with seeing things any better than the headlight. That being said, if you do come up with a good reflector/lens design, they probably would work pretty well.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Medic1210 said:
the only thing I've noticed about LEDs is their inability to really throw a good beam of light without a good lens or reflector. Even the brightest ones, to me, don't seem like they would make real good driving lights. Sure, they would be very bright to oncoming traffic (a big plus indeed), but not sure if they would help out with seeing things any better than the headlight. That being said, if you do come up with a good reflector/lens design, they probably would work pretty well.
Actually, they make several lens and reflectors for the Luxeon LEDs that snap directly onto the LEDs. The LEDs are also available as side emitters. I know my 1 watt Luxeon Dorcey flashlights project the beam very well. Shoot, you can koon hunt with the 1 watt flashlight. That thing shines way up in the trees...

I could only imagine the amount of light that a 6 or 12 LED ring would produce. Even a 3 LED array of 5 watts Luxeon Vs would be insanely bright.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I have seen direct replacements for our incandescent signals and stuff that have LED's and a reflector. is there anything ready to go with these types?
Is luxeon a brand name? or a type like Halogen? There are some out there that say they are super bright... All I know about LED's are..

1) use less electricity
2) they are actually OFF more than on, but blink so fast you cant tell (I think)

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sledzep01 said:
I have seen direct replacements for our incandescent signals and stuff that have LED's and a reflector. is there anything ready to go with these types?
Is luxeon a brand name? or a type like Halogen? There are some out there that say they are super bright... All I know about LED's are..

1) use less electricity
2) they are actually OFF more than on, but blink so fast you cant tell (I think)
Luxeon is the brand name of these LEDs. They do have some direct replacements for car/truck. I haven't seen any for motorcycles. They do sell drivers for them that controls the blinking correctly.

I think my main interest is some very small driving lights that I could pretty much hide on the bike and use when I want additional light. I would think the same driver that is used for the Brilliance LED strips would work with these as well.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I too am a SureFire fanatic, I work Security and I'll tell you the 5w bulb is bright! I guess if you had to use them as driving lights on a bike, you'd have to figure the reflector would have to be about the size of a SureFire Flashlight, with the correct reflector and lens design, it wouldn't take more than 2 - 5watt bulbs to light up the world as Driving lights.

Don

1 - 9 of 9 Posts