M109 Rider Forums banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
More yak, yak, yak, yak and another magazine's opinion about how bad this bike is. Have ridden many bikes in the past 45 years and I like this one best. If those test riders rode it long enough to learn it they might change their opinion. I love my 07LE. The end.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Test your skill

I almost bought the two liter Kawasaki, but finally settled on the 109 in part because of the enthusiasm of this forum. A good portion of the biking public WANTS a bike they can master in a few outings, but I wanted a machine that would be a challenge for months, even years to come. I haven't been disappointed.
I still have my other ride of five years, a Kawasaki KLR 650. The 650 has knife-thru-butter handling; it basically takes me to work with minimum effort. While I'm always careful on any bike, I have to admit the single-cylinder Kawa tends to make me a "lazy" rider. In traffic including congested parking lots the KLR is your proverbial overgrown MX 125. Kawa's 650 is VERY forgiving; on pavement you would have to be damn near comatose to get in over your head on this ON/Off road machine.
Not so with the 109…the first thing I realized on my initial ride was that this bike is a serious bike for serious riders and you CAN get yourself in over your head in a New York second. This big Suzuki is intolerant of half-assed riding techniques; I find that it tends to purr like a (very big, mean) kitten when I'm doing things right; and gives me pure hell when I'm doing things wrong. When you can do a five MPH 180 degree turn with a stabilized grace and accuracy, brother, you have arrived - savor a proud moment the rest of the biking community will never know.
I don't know; sometimes I get lost in all these comparisons. Suffice it to say that Suzuki went out on a limb and provided the biking community with a truly unique vehicle. While the transmission and drive train may not be perfect, the engine itself is mighty damn close. I haven't conducted any research on the matter, but I think most 109 owners would say that this is one bike that makes a better rider out of you. How many bikes can truly say that?

·
Registered
405 Posts
The 9 handles supremely well for how it is built, especially when comparing it to others in it's class. It is long and low keep in mind, so tight corners be careful or you will find your pegs jumping your feet up a bit. In the wider smoother sweeps, it is is impeccably stable, like a locomotive and can be charged in those with some aplomb. I have never experienced the chassis getting upset or bobbing around when getting serious into corners. It is an overall great bike to be on for a Sunday afternoon or a long 450 mile day, which ever you prefer. I like the bike for it's versatility.;)

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Anyone ever ride a Goldwing? I love my 9, but my old beater of a Goldwing handles better. If only my 1100 GW had the balls that my 109 has! haha
I came off an old 1975 Goldwing. This bike handles a LOT better than the wing, gets better mileage and rides a lot smoother.

·
Registered
13 Posts
:agree: The first thing you should do is install a JSD or GI-Pro. It's a real pain at low speeds with the touchy throttle or in turns before adding the JSD. I find my bike extremely managable at low speeds turns and curves now. Not so before.
+1 totally agree, this bike should come with the GIPRO as stock, it completely changed the ride for me.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
IMO

IMO, I've owned alot of bikes over the years and I feel that the 9 is the best I've owned yet. It IS NOT a crotch rocket so you CAN NOT ride it like one. It IS NOT a light cruiser like my Intruder 1400. It is wide than your normal cruiser and the weight distribution ratio and balance are superb. As far as power is concerned well you know. I don't think I have to explain that to any 9 owner. All together the handling is great but that's only small aprt of the overall package. IMO it's a AAA machine.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I used to read Motorcycle Cruiser magazine until I realized that the writers were very biased .This article is from Oct 2006 . I remember reading it back then before I purchased my 2007 M109R . It almost made me opt for something other than the Nine. I am sure glad I did not go by what was said in the article and not buy a Nine because I love everything about the bike and would not trade for any other. Check out Cycle World Feb 2007 write up about the Nine. It is alot better and non biased . The writers in Motorcycle Cruiser Magazine are a bunch of TOOLS.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So how go these bikes handle?:dontknow:

I have read different articles that say it handles good and has neutral steering and then I just read the article MegaTwin Motorcycle Comparison - Honda VTX1800, Kawasaki Vulcan 2000, Star Roadliner, and Suzuki M109R
that says it handles poorly and is the worst of the bunch.

what gives????
I’m learning to ride on a ‘06 109 and IMHO the combo of the wide smooth rear tire, the torque supplied and weight of the MC makes this a straight ahead machine not engineered for Corners. Have to take them slow and soft black top surfaces have to be respected as well.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I felt that our "9's" didn't like corners when i first got mine. It was kind of sketchy leaning hard. I rebuilt my front forks and used Amsoil 15 weight oil, installed 260 rear, 160 rear in the front, (Metzlers M888 ultra) and it totally changed the ride. Before I did a ride with some friends who are great riders, both with Street Glides. They would drag parts around corners, and I couldn't touch them in the corners. Afterwards, a year later on the same rode, they couldn't hang with me in the corners. That 260 rear tire is more arched than the 240, which isn't far from going to the "Dark Side" because of how squared off it is. That inspired far more confidence with that 260. But let's keep it in perspective. I can out corner Harleys all day long. My son on his Ninja 400, well, I am dragging floorboards, cutting corners, and went off the road once on our last ride trying to keep up with him in the corners. He didn't even look like he was pushing it. SO we will never be sport bikes, well, maybe in a straight line. But as far as cruisers go, I will drag floorboards all day long with the best of them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
the only complaint I have is cornering clearance...my floorboards are taking a beating...and I STILL cant get rid of the chicken strips!!!!

·
Registered
2009 / VZR1800
3,651 Posts
the only complaint I have is cornering clearance...my floorboards are taking a beating...and I STILL cant get rid of the chicken strips!!!!
Maybe regular pegs are not sticking out as much
as your floorboards, and that would help? :unsure:
OEM M109Rs did not come with the floor boards..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Maybe regular pegs are not sticking out as much
as your floorboards, and that would help? :unsure:
OEM M109Rs did not come with the floor boards..
Understood, but the OEM pegs SUCK!! Floorboards are much more comfy and "safer" it seems...more confidence when riding.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
I have a ten inch rear rim with a 280 Metzeler on my 06. Yeah, it handles heavy, but with some judicious counter-steering, it will get around corners just fine. Odd thing is, that rear tire is worn all the way to where the tread and sidewall meet, yet I don't ever drag anything but the heels of my feet, and occasionally a footpeg. Rear shock is on number one, so it sits lower than one with the shock on 4. Noticeably. Friend has an o6 still set on 4, mine appears a half to 3/4 inch lower than his. I've never drug anything hard.

Had the bike 15 years and still love it. Still have the factory footpegs on it. They're fine to me. No reason to spend money on them.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Bumper

I am running these floorboards. I do not remember who makes them, but I got them from Meancycles. They actually gave me a little more ground clearance. After bending the rear brake lever up, these were a game changer.I can stretch out better on my bike then I can on my friends Ultra Classic.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts