M109 Rider Forums banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
My bike is confused. It thinks it's a sportbike. I love the hadling on this bike. My son has a gxr750 which I bring close,the m is real nice on turns. My turn line is almost gone/

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
rocket109 I think your right, the picture on the first page dont look like its holding anyone up through the twisties

if you look close you can see through the full face helmet that he has a grin from ear to ear...............

WE all know how he feels

·
Registered
325 Posts
When you ride this bike on roads it was meant for like sweepers, on ramps to the highway, big wide boulevards etc it handles fantastic. Its meant to be ridden fast. Now if your talking about chicanes, swithcbacks, tight 90 degree turns or decreasing radius turns on bumpy roads then you'll call the bike twitchy and poor handling. The throttle is sensitive especially so without the JSD which is great when gunning it in mild curves or dragstrip type situations but not if you want to turn slow on bumpy roads. Can't really downshift like on a sportbike either. Ride it and it will put a smile on your face.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
:agree::agree::agree:I live for the big, long, uphill left sweeper that's about a mile from my house- I hit that thing every time, even when I'm supposed to be going the other direction! Just means I'm taking the long way!!:D

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
When you ride this bike on roads it was meant for like sweepers, on ramps to the highway, big wide boulevards etc it handles fantastic. Its meant to be ridden fast. Now if your talking about chicanes, swithcbacks, tight 90 degree turns or decreasing radius turns on bumpy roads then you'll call the bike twitchy and poor handling. The throttle is sensitive especially so without the JSD which is great when gunning it in mild curves or dragstrip type situations but not if you want to turn slow on bumpy roads. Can't really downshift like on a sportbike either. Ride it and it will put a smile on your face.:bigthumbsup:
:agree:

On the kind of roads I enjoy riding (and the ones it was built for), the 9 out-handles every other bike I've ever ridden. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
For a bike as big and wide as it is it's very easy to ride. Can jump a little off the line but then that's just part of it. It inspires confidence. Very sure footed in corners and winding through traffic. Drug pegs on test ride with sales person following.

I drove several other bikes before picking this one. This was the best of the bunch. Others were Honda VTXs, Victorys, Yamahas.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I don't know guys, but my opinion is this bike handles very well to be as big as it is. It is definitely not a sport bike but it will go through some tight cornering surprisingly well. The guy who wrote this needs to ride behind some owners who have adapted to the twitchy throttle and watch the sparks fly when they rip through the switchbacks on 129 aka the Dragon..Just my opinion here fellows.

CP

·
Registered
98 Posts
When I first bought my 9, it took me at least 3 turns before I figured out how to roll the back wheel properly (I made a big jump from a 250cc to 1800cc). After that as long as your not pulling into a 35mph ramp at 100mph, it'll do it. Just can't be a p:edit:y about it. Feather the rear brake a little through the turn or pullin in on the clutch if it's really got you scared... as long as it doesn't pull you off your line, otherwise get ready to get some new boots and scrape away.

·
Registered
19 Posts
this is my first season for the 109 fresh off 22years of sportbikes the latest being an R1. My first ride problems : lots low-end torq -- very jerky into second, slow turns - never rode a bike with handlebar risers,
stopping - twice the weight , and the one that almost killed me on the first ride -scraping the foot pegs. Dove onto the freeway on-ramp, scraped the foot-peg hard which stood me upright. Just scimmed along the concrete barrier. But now that I've got some hours on it I really like it. Great handling, but know the limits, great stopping power, but use more that one finger and now I use the back brake, I feel well balanced in slow turns now that I'm use to the larger turning radius. Smooth shifts take some practice because of the big V-twin and fuel injection combined. Need to get a gel seat though!!! Crusiers are hard on the tail-bone.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Who are we kidding?

If you came from sportbikes like many of us did, we traded handling for comfort. This bike will barely keep up with a half ton truck on a curvy road. Only the power in the straights keeps one in sight. A sports car will just flat disappear. Sportbikes are in another dimension compared to the 109.
I rode a cbr1000 for many years, no cruiser could keep me in sight for 30 seconds.
Sure I can ride the snot out of this bike, and really enjoy it, but
I keep in mind it's a 700 pound cruiser with limited clearance.
Most of my riding is freeway or the city. When I do get to ride the mountains or canyons, I can really feel the weight and limitations of the bike.
I can drive my truck pulling a 26 foot trailer pretty well through the curves too, but I don't pretend it handles like my Corvette.
Different tools for different jobs.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
If you came from sportbikes like many of us did, we traded handling for comfort. This bike will barely keep up with a half ton truck on a curvy road. Only the power in the straights keeps one in sight. A sports car will just flat disappear. Sportbikes are in another dimension compared to the 109.
I rode a cbr1000 for many years, no cruiser could keep me in sight for 30 seconds.
Most of my riding is freeway or the city. When I do get to ride the mountains or canyons, I can really feel the weight and limitations of the bike.
I can drive my truck pulling a 26 foot trailer pretty well through the curves too, but I don't pretend it handles like my Corvette.
Well said Dude!

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I've learned to take what magazine staffers say about bikes with a grain of salt. I found from my own personal experiences just the opposite of what they report an astounding number of times. Sometimes I think they go into these tests with preconceived notions of how a bike SHOULD be, and if they're not like that, then they don't like the bike and they trash it for miniscule little things, or they say things about them that are completely untrue. For example in the article noted early in this thread the testers made many mentions of the 9s poor handling, but made not a single mention of the behmoth Vulcan's handling. I've riden a 2K Vulcan and it feels like it weighs 2K. The 9 feels like a sport bike by comparison.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
The best comment in the article:

"When four big bikes come rumbling into a gas station or restaurant parking lot, the question you'll frequently hear is, "Which one's fastest?"
The answer's easy in this group. It's the Suzuki. The M109R may not pack the displacement, but it definitely packs a wallop, easily leaving the other three behind when the tach needles are climbing and the throttles are open. Though a little softer than the others down at low rpm, the M109R pulls hard once the engines get spinning, and it also makes the most rpm of any of this quartet. Where the others run out of breath well below 6000 rpm, the Suzuki revs almost to 7500 rpm, and it's pulling fiercely up there."

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
I've been riding since I was 9 years old, and from all the different types I've ridden I dont think the 9 is the "worst handling" at all. In fact I think that for a bike of its size and weight, it handles quite well and yes it takes a little bit to "master" it but again its not a sports bike and its not a classic cruiser... It does what it does very well :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
216 Posts
mine was kinda jerky when I first got it, I was a little intimidated to ride with the wife because the power hit so hard in 1st gear. A PC3 and pipes helped clear up all of that jerky power in 1st gear though. I couldn't believe how much it smoothed out the power delivery. I think the bike handles better now than any Yamaha, Harely, or Honda I've been on. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I have mixed emotions about the review. I've owned my 9 for a little over 2 months now. I'm definitely a lot more comfortable on it now that I was the first day. I couldn't imagine, regardless of my riding experience, test-riding one bike after another and being instantly comfortable throwing the 9 down into the corners. I know it doesn't corner like a crotch rocket, but I've left my share of shoe rubber in the turns while carving the pavements and rolling the throttle as I exit the curves. I especially can't believe the power the 9 makes, and I mean 4000 rpm and up is like a rocket!!!. I ordered the GIpro today to fix the stammering below 4k, so I hope to have a smoother ride in the lower revs. If I could figure out a way to move my pegs up and out a bit more ( I have the raw forward controls), I'd turn harder and farther than I already do now. I f:edit:'ing LOVE this bike!!!!

-Josh

·
Registered
396 Posts
Dude!

Let's see a picture of your Corvette.

I just put new wheels on mine last summer.... I put 11's on the back.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Anyone ever ride a Goldwing? I love my 9, but my old beater of a Goldwing handles better. If only my 1100 GW had the balls that my 109 has! haha

·
Registered
411 Posts
I like the way mine handles. For a 700 plus pound bike, she does great. And it you put on a Metzler they say she handles a even better.

"The M109R wound up solidly at the bottom of the score sheets for handling. In addition to the problems created by the abrupt throttle response and herky-jerky drivetrain, it was hampered during cornering by its wide tires, which make the bike resist leaning into a corner, especially under braking. And its riding position makes it hard to counter that tendency. Stiff suspension and meager cornering clearance are further reasons this is a bike that's happiest on straight roads. At low speeds, the awkward ergonomics, lurchy drivetrain and heavy clutch all conspire to make it the toughest bike to master in this group."

This bike has a lot of power is why when you twist the throttle you get a immediate response. But the JSD or GI-pro helps to tame that. If you want the best cornering, I would buy a sport bike. It is the style, fat arse and power that really this bike away from the pack.
Man Ryan sounds like you work for harley!!!!

21 - 40 of 57 Posts