M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Radio Active Member
27,688 Posts
I like the way mine handles. For a 700 plus pound bike, she does great. And it you put on a Metzler they say she handles a even better.

"The M109R wound up solidly at the bottom of the score sheets for handling. In addition to the problems created by the abrupt throttle response and herky-jerky drivetrain, it was hampered during cornering by its wide tires, which make the bike resist leaning into a corner, especially under braking. And its riding position makes it hard to counter that tendency. Stiff suspension and meager cornering clearance are further reasons this is a bike that's happiest on straight roads. At low speeds, the awkward ergonomics, lurchy drivetrain and heavy clutch all conspire to make it the toughest bike to master in this group."

This bike has a lot of power is why when you twist the throttle you get a immediate response. But the JSD or GI-pro helps to tame that. If you want the best cornering, I would buy a sport bike. It is the style, fat arse and power that really this bike away from the pack.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've owned a lot of motorcycles in my life and this one is one of my favorites...It'll out handle any Harley that I have ever owned... the bike i traded on this 109 was a 04 busa.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
i love the way my bike handles. it is no sportbike, but again that is like comparing apples to oranges.
but as far as cruisers go, this bike handles as good, IF NOT BETTER, than any of them.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,049 Posts
It's not a sport bike, but it handles good IMHO. Especially for a cruiser. It tracks nice, leans well into turns, and overall is fun to ride in the twisties. I think those guys in the test were just scared of it. You do have to give it some input, but you can make it go where you want right up to the point you start touching hard points. And that doesn't happen all that soon.

Once you learn to tame the throttle at low speeds, which does take some practice and experience with it, it's even easy to ride a slow speeds.

G

·
Handling

Hey Guys, I just wanted to put my 20 cents worth in. I'm riding in New Zealand, which means lots of twisty country roads, in questionable condition...

I am 45 yrs old and I found test rides on other metric cruises, Harleys and Triumphs Rocket 3 all interesting.... but it was the 109 that got my blood racing and was clearly going to be the most fun to ride.

I have also ridden a large number of sports bikes and sports tourers over the years, mainly through the 80's and 90's so I have to say the the 109 was a real change for me.

I think if you try to ride the M109r like a sports bike you are going to come undone... I will admit to not being the best rider in the world, It took me over 3-4 months of solid riding to come to terms with the throttle, the tires and the weight of this bike.

All that said, it has been the most awesome time, I have made great friends and seen some spectacular country... Once you have tamed this beast, shes a wicked ride. :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
To me this bike corners like it is on rails. :bigthumbsup: It handles much better than my VTX Retro and I haven't met another "cruiser" owner that can keep up with me and my buddies. That article was NOT acurate.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I agree that the article is not accurate, i think this bike handles as good as any other bike and even better than most. It seems to handle as well as my marauder 800 wich is a few hundred pounds lighter..

·
Registered
401 Posts
Handleing

So how go these bikes handle?:dontknow:

I have read different articles that say it handles good and has neutral steering and then I just read the article http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/0610_crup_megatwin_motorcycle_comparison/handling.html
that says it handles poorly and is the worst of the bunch.

what gives????
I used to have a Yamaha 1100 VStar much smaller and lighter, but the 9 handles much better at any speed even better with the new Metzlers

·
Registered
922 Posts
Article not correct!

I felt the article was incorrect the 9 handles very good for its size and weight and the fat rear tire. With any bike you have to get used to the handling characteristics. We all know that the 9 is not a sport bike, but for a cruiser it comes close. Handles real good in the twisties and of course that straight line speed so much fun can't beat it.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I like the way mine handles. For a 700 plus pound bike, she does great. And it you put on a Metzler they say she handles a even better.

"The M109R wound up solidly at the bottom of the score sheets for handling. In addition to the problems created by the abrupt throttle response and herky-jerky drivetrain, it was hampered during cornering by its wide tires, which make the bike resist leaning into a corner, especially under braking. And its riding position makes it hard to counter that tendency. Stiff suspension and meager cornering clearance are further reasons this is a bike that's happiest on straight roads. At low speeds, the awkward ergonomics, lurchy drivetrain and heavy clutch all conspire to make it the toughest bike to master in this group."

This bike has a lot of power is why when you twist the throttle you get a immediate response. But the JSD or GI-pro helps to tame that. If you want the best cornering, I would buy a sport bike. It is the style, fat arse and power that really this bike away from the pack.
:agree: The first thing you should do is install a JSD or GI-Pro. It's a real pain at low speeds with the touchy throttle or in turns before adding the JSD. I find my bike extremely managable at low speeds turns and curves now. Not so before.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I have some issues with the low speed jerk coming back on the throttle, but that is nothing compard to the honda shadow I traded in. It just would not turn. you would find yourself in the middle of a turn and even if you leaned it harder it would not recover, I found myself balancing on the white line way too many times. That has never happened on the 9, if I go into a turn a little too hot, all I have to do is lean it a little harder and it pulls right thru. Awesome bike!

·
Registered
307 Posts
So how go these bikes handle?:dontknow:

I have read different articles that say it handles good and has neutral steering and then I just read the article http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/0610_crup_megatwin_motorcycle_comparison/handling.html
that says it handles poorly and is the worst of the bunch.

what gives????
I think the 109 handles great for a bike as big and long as it is. My last 3 bikes were sportbikes. This is my first cruiser and to be honest I was quite pleasantly surprised at how quickly the 109 steers at speed and how light it feels in motion. Really slow maneuvering, such as in parking lots, is more cumbersome than on a sportbike due to the weight and reach to the bars but that is par for the course with a cruiser.

I do agree with the articles assessment of the clunky shifting and lack of cornering clearance.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think the first picture in that article will tell you whos the baddest bike out there:super:

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Can some1 explain to me what the difference will the jsd and the other part do.

I dont have any trouble at low speeds, nor cornering

thanks

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I agree with the article this bike does handle like :edit:

1.Your on edge and can't wait till it comes out
2.The more gas the faster it goes
3.rumble rumble
4.when it gets going there is no other feeling like it.
5.It like the other is near the seat of your pants

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have been riding for only about 16 years now, but I have never felt more confident on a cruiser than on my 9er. Never have I been able to put my bike into turns like I can with this one. I feel like I can drag my pegs and not worry about wrecking. I think she is a bit heavy and is sometimes reluctant to want to lean, but that's when you just give her a little more hell and enjoy the ride. I have seen when you get her over to touching the pegs, you still have some room on the tires to lean on.
As long as you are practicing good safe riding fundamentals, you can make this bike out handle any other cruiser out there. :bigthumbsup:
Wow, I love this bike.
Stay safe.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I liked this quote from the second page!!!!:bigthumbsup:

When four big bikes come rumbling into a gas station or restaurant parking lot, the question you'll frequently hear is, "Which one's fastest?"
The answer's easy in this group. It's the Suzuki. The M109R may not pack the displacement, but it definitely packs a wallop, easily leaving the other three behind when the tach needles are climbing and the throttles are open. Though a little softer than the others down at low rpm, the M109R pulls hard once the engines get spinning, and it also makes the most rpm of any of this quartet. Where the others run out of breath well below 6000 rpm, the Suzuki revs almost to 7500 rpm, and it's pulling fiercely up there.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts