M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just switched my M109R to that Castrol semi synthetic 10W40. Before changing it I took the nine for a 30 mile ride and got back and let it cool a bit while I gathered the items needed for the change. I slid the pan under it after losening the two drain plugs and then released the oil, I let it drain out and then rocked the bike back and forth, I did that twice and got more oil to drain each time. I strap wrenched off the filter and was surprised to see more oil drain from there for 5 minutes. I put the drain plugs back in and screwed the new K&N filter on. Put Just over 3 and one quarter quarts in it and started it and let it run the 15 minutes and shut it down for 3 mminute. Checked it and it took the remaining oil in the 4th quart. I was quite surprised because the book doesn't say it will take 4. I drain my oil from the pan into gallon plastic milk jugs and that milk jug was right to the neck of the screwcap so 4 quart definitely came out of the nine. :bigthumbsup: I do love that K&N filter, they were thinking when they welded a 17 MM nut on the end of the filter, just a straight 17mm boxend wrench tightens it right up nicely.:tools:

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
Not a fan of wrenching on filters. I always do it by hand. They only need to be snug:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
216 Posts
I AGREE BUT IT SURE WOULD BE NICE FOR REMOVAL.....BACK TO THE THREAD. MINE TAKES 4 QUARTS ALSO ALWAYS HAS SINCE I GOT IT NEVER PUKED OUT OIL LIKE I SEE IN SOME OF THESE THREADS AND NEVER ANY ISSUES HERE.:cop:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thats what mine took also after rocking it a few times...4 quarts took it right to the full line exactly :agree:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,878 Posts
I do the same thing and get the same results. The first time I changed mine it actually filled the gallon jug and had another pint or so left in the pan. I routinely get very close to 4 quarts out of it by tilting the bike left to right and letting it drain for 45 minutes or more.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
I've changed the oil in my 06 five times, and every one of them it took four quarts to hit the full mark. Mine has never puked oil, not once.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Me too, mine has taken 4QTs since day 1...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts