M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is my first time posting. I test drove an M109 and LOVED the power. Two things are holding me back from pulling the trigger. First, it's a little more expensive than I was wanting to pay for my next bike (currently I own a Suzuki Volusia 800 and a Suzuki SV650, and I'd sell the Volusia when buying my next bike). Second, the handlebars had me stretched out and caused some pain between my shoulderblades pretty quickly (I'm 5' 11"). But again, I LOVED the power. So, the question is, how many of you have also owned the VTX1800 and/or the Yamaha Warrior, and how does the M109 compare to those in power, comfort, long-distance riding (I'll want to make some 500+ mile trips), and just overall fun. I know that I'm losing power, but do the other factors I mention above outweigh the thrill of the power. Just want some comparisons for those of you who might be more in the know. I figure I can buy a used VTX or Warrior for a lot cheaper than a used M109 since they've been around longer.

Thanks.

Greg

·
Registered
326 Posts
Why don't you just go test ride the VTX and the Warrior also, you are the one who is gonna have to live with it.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I just bought my M109R and now selling my VTX 1300. Besides power, the M109R is much easier to handle and feels lighter than my VXT1300 (641 dry) due to a lower center of gravity. The VTX 1300, from what I was told, handles better than the VTX1800. Also, my VTX1300c my arms are stretched out. Looks cool for city driving, but long runs my back gets a bit wore out, plus I didn't have a windshield and it really worked me over on the highways..

I like my X, but I'm much happier with my M!

Good luck on whatever you get. Either way, come back and lets see your new ride! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses so far. Certainly I'll test drive the others (also wondering about the Kawasaki Vuclcan 2000), but a 10-minute test ride can only tell you so much. I'm looking for input from people who've owned some of these other bikes and compare the long-term pros and cons, if possible.

Thanks again.

Greg

·
Registered
1 Posts
ransom said:
Thanks for the responses so far. Certainly I'll test drive the others (also wondering about the Kawasaki Vuclcan 2000), but a 10-minute test ride can only tell you so much. I'm looking for input from people who've owned some of these other bikes and compare the long-term pros and cons, if possible.

Thanks again.

Greg
I currently have a 1800 X in retro style..very cushy ride 700 mile days are not a problem..lots of get up and go ..some complain about the weight..never been a problem for me..got to ride what feels good to ya and what fits..as to performance I get about a bike on the warrior and lose 4 on the V rod..didnt by the bike to race...got rear ended and have been looking to replace it when repaired..thats why im here..

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I want to chime in here, even though I own none of the bikes you mention. :bigthumbsup:

I ride a Suzuki VS800 Intruder...and have had no problems with 500+ mile road trips. If your bike(s) cause you issues on the road trips, alter them so they do not. 500 miles in a day is (for me) and should be (for most) easy to accomplish. Any of those bigger bikes should be less strained than my Intruder and have a few more items that make them better suited to long hauls, but your Volusia would also easily go 500+ miles. One of the riders I went to RFTW/Rolling Thunder with rode a Volusia.

If/When I get an M109, first thing I'll probably save up & change will be the handle bars....I just don't like the feeling of having my hands out wide, didn't like it when I test rode one, didn't like it when I rode my buddy's 1300vtx.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The price quotes OTD for the Warrior were higher than the prcie I got for my M109r, by 400 bucks. Plus Suzuki gave me a nice jacket. I rode both an 06' Warrior, and the M109r. Clearly more power w/ the 109. Bigger, bolder....better IMHO.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
You won't be disappointed with the 109! Have the handlebars raised and leveled and it'll take care of that sharp back pain! This bike is awesome even if you leave it totally stock! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
456 Posts
The handle bar issue can mostly be sovled by simply rotating the bars up about 3 inches. You'll get 1" of pull back and 2 inches of pull up by doing just that.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
x_caliber50 said:
The handle bar issue can mostly be sovled by simply rotating the bars up about 3 inches. You'll get 1" of pull back and 2 inches of pull up by doing just that.
I'm about 5"10.5 and I don't have any problems but this would seem to be me to be the answer if it was a problem. Haven't done it to mine. I ride comfortably!

·
Registered
64 Posts
The VTX is a bloated bike that really lacks the power of a powercrusier. It is just a really big freaking bike. Ditto for the Vulcan 2000. They are huge bikes and you might as well have a Dresser if you were riding with that much weight.

The Warrior vs. the M109: the warrior is a push rod carbed bike. it has a great sound but you HAVE to replace the Bazooka on it. They tried to make a sportbike with a cruiser but went too far on the pipe.

The M109 is heavier but has more get up and goooooooooooo

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm 5'10 and short wasted and I don't have any issues wit the bars. Maybe they are just adjusted a little bit better than the one you rode. Also, consider if you were tense riding an unfamiliar bike. After my first 200 mile ride on my 109 I had little aches and pains, elbows, back etc. But eversince then I haven't had any discomfort at all.

That said.... get what feels good for you. It's all about the ride. :doorag:

Marc

G

·
I agree what everyone has said, but they are forgetting to important issues. Those are age and the possibility of and injure or bad back. Both can have negative effects on the comfort of your ride.

oldold

1 - 16 of 16 Posts