M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

First post for this fresh 109 owner. Love the bike, but I'm a bit short (5'8, on a good day) and would like to pull the bars back a little bit to help me keep better posture for longer rides. Not sure if I would be okay with just bolting on a 1-2 inch riser block, or if I should be getting something more like the Yana Shiki setup (or perhaps something that I don't even know about...haha)?

Any wisdom that can be shared is much appreciated! I cannot wait for this riding season!

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I'm 5' 9" and went with the Kewl Metal 2" extensions. Made a huge difference in riding comfort.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm 5' 9" and went with the Kewl Metal 2" extensions. Made a huge difference in riding comfort.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk HD
Thanks for the input Giovavic! I just found a pair of Kewl 2" extensions for $50. I think I'll pick them up.
How did the install go for you? Were there any issues with cable lengths? Any re-routing of cables required?

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Before you buy anything, try rotating your handlebars up so they are level. It helped me out a lot, as I didn't have to bend down to reach the bars. IF you rotate the bars, you'll have to re-clock your clutch and brake levers. When you do, you have to rotate your turn signal switch housing. IF you don't, you'll flash your high beams everytime you pull the clutch in.

-Josh

·
Registered
583 Posts
Thanks for the input Giovavic! I just found a pair of Kewl 2" extensions for $50. I think I'll pick them up.
How did the install go for you? Were there any issues with cable lengths? Any re-routing of cables required?
there is a video on kwel metal site for the install, you can use the stock cables but you have to reroute them

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
that fact that you mentioned longer rides brings another issue to the question. you likely will find the stock seat very unforgiving as most of us have. i went with the OEM gel seat and it puts you 1 inch FORWARD from the stocker, they are reasonbly comfortable, moreso than the stocker for sure, then you can put the kewl metal risers on and you will be very happy for a total investment around 175 if you buy the seat off the forum here ( they frequently come up for sale)...with the risers you will need to rerout the cables but that only took me about 20 minutes so no big deal....you wont have to get longer cables which is a plus for sure

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hey thanks for all the tips!

I'll take a look at the Kewl video, thanks for pointing me there.

I'll do some research on different seats as well. I did a 1 week tour with the bike, roughly 3,000 kms (or 1,800 miles), and found my tailbone getting tired near the end of each day. A new seat sounds like a decent inexpensive option.

Much appreciated!

Edit: In case there is anyone else needing a video tutorial, see it here:
http://www.kewlmetalstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=19_588&products_id=45

·
Registered
415 Posts
there is a video on kwel metal site for the install, you can use the stock cables but you have to reroute them
:agree: I used the video and it made the install very simple. I do recommend going with longer cables if you can I plan on changing mine very soon. When you turn the handlebars fully from one side to the other it puts unnecessary tension on the cables. It's probably nothing to worry about and im sure i could leave that way but I just don't like it.

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
Hey thanks for all the tips!

I'll take a look at the Kewl video, thanks for pointing me there.

I'll do some research on different seats as well. I did a 1 week tour with the bike, roughly 3,000 kms (or 1,800 miles), and found my tailbone getting tired near the end of each day. A new seat sounds like a decent inexpensive option.

Much appreciated!

Edit: In case there is anyone else needing a video tutorial, see it here:
http://www.kewlmetalstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=19_588&products_id=45
Check out www.meancitycycles.com for a seat mod. I've had 3 done by them. A much cheaper alternative to buying an expensive aftermarket seat. Turn around time is 1 week. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Without a doubt, I would go for the Yana shiki risers (Cheapest price. Amazon) and the Gel seat. Your tail bone will appreciate it. It made a big difference for me.

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
Big-B, which seat did you order from them? what was the true difference from stock?
You send them your seat and they re do it to your specs. I'm having the double memory foam done on mine.

Sent from my ultra cool Lightningbolt using Slapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.