M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, I am new to the forum, but have been reading posts for the past month or so since I bought my 06 M109R. I absolutely love the bike, and got it used as a steal, but there are some issues I have been having that I hope someone may have experienced (and solved).

The rear cylinder is running around 30 degrees C cooler than the front cylinder and the bike seems to be lacking a lot of power that I feel the M109 should have. It really bogs down after 4500 rpm, doesn't accelerate the way it should or have the power it should, and it stalls in first gear every time I ride (seems to be idling slow). I had a little "race" against my brother who has an 2006 1100 V star and should have had no issues staying in front but we were neck and neck the whole time.

So here's what I have learnt. I took it into the Suzuki Dealership here in Saskatoon, SK (big mistake). They verified the rear cylinder isn't firing the way it should be and checked the fuel, injectors, spark plugs, etc. They tried new spark plugs just to be safe, no issued. They switched the injectors between the two cylinders and the rear was still acting up. They then cleaned the coil connections and claimed it was fixed. Charged me 800 for labour, which I was happy to pay but only if the bike was fixed. Drove the bike home and not a thing had changed! Took it back and complained about how they should have never given me the bike back like that especially after charging me so much to "fix it". So they ordered a coil thinking that was the problem (which is on back order and god knows when it will come). I have heard it is often the injectors, fuel or the air, and the injectors have been ruled out (still need to look into the air).

If this coil comes in and it doesn't fix the issue, does anyone have any ideas of what it could be?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Hi Everyone, I am new to the forum, but have been reading posts for the past month or so since I bought my 06 M109R. I absolutely love the bike, and got it used as a steal, but there are some issues I have been having that I hope someone may have experienced (and solved).

The rear cylinder is running around 30 degrees C cooler than the front cylinder and the bike seems to be lacking a lot of power that I feel the M109 should have. It really bogs down after 4500 rpm, doesn't accelerate the way it should or have the power it should, and it stalls in first gear every time I ride (seems to be idling slow). I had a little "race" against my brother who has an 2006 1100 V star and should have had no issues staying in front but we were neck and neck the whole time.

So here's what I have learnt. I took it into the Suzuki Dealership here in Saskatoon, SK (big mistake). They verified the rear cylinder isn't firing the way it should be and checked the fuel, injectors, spark plugs, etc. They tried new spark plugs just to be safe, no issued. They switched the injectors between the two cylinders and the rear was still acting up. They then cleaned the coil connections and claimed it was fixed. Charged me 800 for labour, which I was happy to pay but only if the bike was fixed. Drove the bike home and not a thing had changed! Took it back and complained about how they should have never given me the bike back like that especially after charging me so much to "fix it". So they ordered a coil thinking that was the problem (which is on back order and god knows when it will come). I have heard it is often the injectors, fuel or the air, and the injectors have been ruled out (still need to look into the air).

If this coil comes in and it doesn't fix the issue, does anyone have any ideas of what it could be?
I don't have any idea what ur problem could b , however , if it's a used bike I would be first calling the previous owner and asking him if he has done any engine alterations or changed any settings ie: ECU , power command. Any mods done like exhaust pipes. Ask if they were aware of this issue and if they tried to find a fix .That's where I would start. If u find a fix please post and share. Shop talk

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
At least the Suzuki mechanics in the great white north seem to be as inept as the ones in the southern US. Anyway, I agree, sounds like a misconfiguration of a fuel management system or the like.

Shop will likely try this and try that to the point they have cost you way too much.

Try and find a mechanic that knows what they are doing and have them go through it.

You certainly have more than one issue.

Let us know how it goes. Dont let the shop nickel and dime you to death.

Good day eh...Rush and whatnot...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have any idea what ur problem could b , however , if it's a used bike I would be first calling the previous owner and asking him if he has done any engine alterations or changed any settings ie: ECU , power command. Any mods done like exhaust pipes. Ask if they were aware of this issue and if they tried to find a fix .That's where I would start. If u find a fix please post and share. Shop talk

Thanks for your fast response. First off, I could have sworn I saw that M109 below your post on Kijiji a little while back. I know this because I love that paint job and want to get something similar on my 9!

Second, I have been in contact with the previous owner and he has no idea what it could be. He salvaged the bike back in 2011 and I don't think he knows how the bike is supposed to feel when it is running the way it should be. He suggested injector cleaner, which I tried (seafoam) before we ruled the injectors out or looking at the air filter. He is a mechanic and has extensive experience working on bikes, which surprises me because he thought the bike was running perfectly. However, he did say he would look at the bike for me, but can't do it until the fall. I will definitely share as I find out more.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Am thinking maybe the bike has a fuel manager hidden somewhere , no one knows it is there and now is malfunctioning ? these things don`t happen by magic , but for something tangible and one injector that seems ok but that it doesn`t work correctly is because something is ordering it to do that .
Start from there , check the ECU contact wires one by one , specially the ones that go to the injection system .

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
You said you took it to a Suzuki Dealer so this should not be an issue but......did they change all 4 plugs?
Since this is a V-twin you would be surprised at how may people just do the 2 obvious ones and call it good.

Also you might want to verify that all 4 plugs are firing, start with taking the bike for a good hard ride, then pull all 4 plugs and see if you have an obvious difference between any of them showing on the tips.

Look around good under the seat and such for an aftermarket fuel management system or other add on performance mods also.

Let us know what you find.

BCS

·
Registered
480 Posts
Thanks for your fast response. First off, I could have sworn I saw that M109 below your post on Kijiji a little while back. I know this because I love that paint job and want to get something similar on my 9!

Second, I have been in contact with the previous owner and he has no idea what it could be. He salvaged the bike back in 2011 and I don't think he knows how the bike is supposed to feel when it is running the way it should be. He suggested injector cleaner, which I tried (seafoam) before we ruled the injectors out or looking at the air filter. He is a mechanic and has extensive experience working on bikes, which surprises me because he thought the bike was running perfectly. However, he did say he would look at the bike for me, but can't do it until the fall. I will definitely share as I find out more.
U may have seen my bike when I had it in Winnipeg from March to mid June of this year. I sold it to someone in Brandon Manitoba 1 week b4 going home to Toronto. Can't delete it from my signature but still trying. Hoping 2 have a new one b4 the end of August.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Well i dont know what is going on with your ride but I can tell you that coming from factory my bikes front cylinder was much hotter then the rear. i had an advanced tune done when adding my pciii and that temp difference was a big point of interest to my tuner. He was able to get both cylinders to within a few degrees difference of each other, less then 10°F if i recall correctly. Before the tune my bike was somewhere around 107hp and 100ft lbs torque and after it was 128hp with something like 117 ft lbs of torque and those are at the rear wheel not the crank, if i am remembering those numbers correctly! So if you dont have a fuel management device i would think you would benefit from it or like stated above you have one that you dont know about that is going bad on you so i would start there to see what you have or dont have on the bike.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well i dont know what is going on with your ride but I can tell you that coming from factory my bikes front cylinder was much hotter then the rear. i had an advanced tune done when adding my pciii and that temp difference was a big point of interest to my tuner. He was able to get both cylinders to within a few degrees difference of each other, less then 10°F if i recall correctly. Before the tune my bike was somewhere around 107hp and 100ft lbs torque and after it was 128hp with something like 117 ft lbs of torque and those are at the rear wheel not the crank, if i am remembering those numbers correctly! So if you dont have a fuel management device i would think you would benefit from it or like stated above you have one that you dont know about that is going bad on you so i would start there to see what you have or dont have on the bike.
Great! Thanks for the message, I will look into that. Any advice on if the Cobra Powr Black is a good fuel management device - that is what I have been recommended from a Suzuki Dealership in my area, although they weren't optimistic it would fix the existing problems (lack of power, stalling, bogging down at 4500 RPM, etc).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you check the fuel filter?
I haven't yet, but isn't it one fuel filter that would feed into both injectors? So if it was the fuel filter wouldn't both cylinders be having issues rather than just one?

Thanks for the comment, I'll be sure to check it regardless.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Have you tried replacing the spark plug wires? Check for vacuum leaks. It wouldn't be a bad idea to replace most of the hoses and lines since the ones on your bike are 11 years old. Those items do not last forever and will crack and form leaks. There are also rubber boots that connect the air box to the throttle body that can crack and leak. Do you have any kind of fuel controller like a dobeck blinky box, PCIII, PCV, or Cobra?

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
If rear cylinder is running that much cooler, doesn't that mean it's getting alot more fuel, running rich or not enough air?

What do you have for intakes? Is it stock?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If rear cylinder is running that much cooler, doesn't that mean it's getting alot more fuel, running rich or not enough air?

What do you have for intakes? Is it stock?
Everythingn external is stock, but I haven't been able to dig deeper into the bike yet. It very well could be an air issue. Any suggestions on after market air intake kits? My dad has a hypercharger on his v star that looks great, but I'm not too keen on spending a grand for the set I've seen on the forum.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Have you tried replacing the spark plug wires? Check for vacuum leaks. It wouldn't be a bad idea to replace most of the hoses and lines since the ones on your bike are 11 years old. Those items do not last forever and will crack and form leaks. There are also rubber boots that connect the air box to the throttle body that can crack and leak. Do you have any kind of fuel controller like a dobeck blinky box, PCIII, PCV, or Cobra?
I haven't looked into the spark plug wires or vacuum leaks, unfortunately I'm learning a lot as I go. But I agree I should replace what I can while the bike it apart. I don't have a fuel controller but I plan on getting the cobra powrpro black this fall.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the comment, I definitely plan on getting a fuel management system and better air intake. Probably not until fall though. Your story gives me hope it could be related to poor fuel management, hopefully when the coil comes that will solve the problem. It's a great bike, but I know I'm missing out on some power!

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Thanks for the comment, I definitely plan on getting a fuel management system and better air intake. Probably not until fall though. Your story gives me hope it could be related to poor fuel management, hopefully when the coil comes that will solve the problem. It's a great bike, but I know I'm missing out on some power!
Much of the power i gained has just about everything to do with the Raw exhaust pipe i have and its not something everyone can expect to get by just getting a fuel tuner just so you don't expect those numbers.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts