M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
don't know which to get a 109 or an r3? i have had a 109 in the past (but had to sell) now i am reddy for a new bike. i loved my 109 but the r3 looks like a sweet ride.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
rocket............:bigthumbsup: i love the 9 but the 3 is a machine,had one for a demo from local dealer and friend for a few months.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Rocket III

Well I have currently both bikes in my stable. I picked up a brand new Rocket 3 about 2 weeks ago. The Rocket 3 is the only cruiser I know of that has close to the same pull and power as the 9 without switching to a sport bike. I had to get it just to have the biggest bike on the road and it is hard to go down in power size compared to the 9 without going to a crotch rocket.
Not sure what years you are looking at but there are some differences in the years. 09 and below have a forward peg location like the 9 and 3 exhaust pipes unless you get the touring model. The power is down on the 09 and below at 145ish HP 142ish LB TQ. The 10 and 11 have a riding position like the Harley's and two exhasut pipes touring and regular but the torque jumps up to 160ish. There are mods you can do to the Rockets such as Turbos and Supercharges to bump power in the 220-240HP and outrun Busa's. There is just not a lot of aftermarket choies like a 9 most of the stuff comes straight from Truimph.
Overall I am pleased with the Rocket and a good choice between a 9. So that is why I own both.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I always let the test make the decision for me, and I absolutely will not buy ANY motorcycle without riding it first. To do so is simply foolish....

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I don't really like the rocket. To heavy. A guy I beat down in FL showed me a place to eat. Over lunch the only bad thing he had to say about it was the pipes on the right side heats up his leg. :eek: He's got one up in Canada and one in FL. Nice guy..Didn't mind getting beat. :D He really liked the nine.

Dave and Sandy @ NES.stone.
Marry Christmas, Happy, and a Safe New Year.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The Rocket is a fun and powerful bike, to be sure. The only parts I didnt like about it when I test rode it was the styling wasnt new to me, it seemed to classic looking and feeling when I sat on it. It wasnt as comfortable for a passenger than the 9, and it did get hot.

There are not enough negatives about it to rule out though, I do like that bike a lot, it sounds awesome and pulls hard. You will have to demo, think about it, demo some more and then continue to think about it. If I could trade my 9 for a rocket I wouldnt do but as far as another cruiser, I would definitely consider it.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
The Rocket is a fun and powerful bike, to be sure. The only parts I didnt like about it when I test rode it was the styling wasnt new to me, it seemed to classic looking and feeling when I sat on it. It wasnt as comfortable for a passenger than the 9, and it did get hot.

There are not enough negatives about it to rule out though, I do like that bike a lot, it sounds awesome and pulls hard. You will have to demo, think about it, demo some more and then continue to think about it. If I could trade my 9 for a rocket I wouldnt do but as far as another cruiser, I would definitely consider it.
Which other cruiser would you consider besides the 9? I can't really think of one that compares....

·
Banned
15,179 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Which other cruiser would you consider besides the 9? I can't really think of one that compares....
None, just ours. All of the other ones were underpowered to me. The race is only between the 9 and Rocket in my book.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Have any of you heard of the baddest curiser ever produced, the VMAX.
No stock cruiser in history has ever beat the Vmax, it is the King of the
cruisers. All the motorcycle mags. agree. From 1985 thru 2007 the original
Vmax with it's 1200 cc V4 puts out 147 HP stock, and will beat the Rocket
and the Nine and any other curiser out there. Only the top sport bikes
(Busa, Kaw, Honda, etc.) will beat the 1985 thru 2007 Vmax, but they are
not curisers. Then in 2009 to present the second generation Vmax with its
1700 cc V4 and 200 HP is still not only the king of curisers, but will take on
and beat the Busa, Kaw, Honda sport bikes in the qt, mile. I own both
the Nine and first generation Vmax and I can tell you from my experience
that the Vmax is faster in the qt. or red light to red light than either the
Nine or the Rocket, I have raced both in the Vmax, and beat them. I can
tell you that the Nine is faster than the Rocket, in fact the Nine is a VERY
close second to the first generation Vmax! However, you must remember the Vmax is a V4, not v-twin like the Nine. Also, the Rocket is a stright 3.
So, when all is said and done the Nine is not only the fastest V-twin, but
can also beat the 3 cylinder Rocket. Making the NINE NOT ONLY THE
FASTES V-TWIN , BUT ALSO BEATING THE 3 CYLINDER Rocket.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Have any of you heard of the baddest curiser ever produced, the VMAX.
No stock cruiser in history has ever beat the Vmax, it is the King of the
cruisers. All the motorcycle mags. agree. From 1985 thru 2007 the original
Vmax with it's 1200 cc V4 puts out 147 HP stock, and will beat the Rocket
and the Nine and any other curiser out there. Only the top sport bikes
(Busa, Kaw, Honda, etc.) will beat the 1985 thru 2007 Vmax, but they are
not curisers. Then in 2009 to present the second generation Vmax with its
1700 cc V4 and 200 HP is still not only the king of curisers, but will take on
and beat the Busa, Kaw, Honda sport bikes in the qt, mile. I own both
the Nine and first generation Vmax and I can tell you from my experience
that the Vmax is faster in the qt. or red light to red light than either the
Nine or the Rocket, I have raced both in the Vmax, and beat them. I can
tell you that the Nine is faster than the Rocket, in fact the Nine is a VERY
close second to the first generation Vmax! However, you must remember the Vmax is a V4, not v-twin like the Nine. Also, the Rocket is a stright 3.
So, when all is said and done the Nine is not only the fastest V-twin, but
can also beat the 3 cylinder Rocket. Making the NINE NOT ONLY THE
FASTES V-TWIN , BUT ALSO BEATING THE 3 CYLINDER Rocket.
Who am I? I seen V-max on the track. Never seen a Busa Beat by One. Yes it is a Bad ass Cruiser but it aint all you make it out to be!!!

VMAX 1/4 mile and performance numbers
Just picked up the latest issue of Cycle World, and they had a full test of the new 2009 VMAX. This is the first one I've seen since the bike was debuted. Here's what they have:

Rear wheel horsepower: 174.3 @9000 RPM
Rear wheel torque: 113.0 @6600 RPM

1/4 mile time: 10.26 @ 135.8 mph

0-30 mph: 1.3
0-60 mph: 2.7
0-90 mph: 5.0
0-100mph: 5.9

Top gear roll ons:
40-60: 2.8
60-80: 3.0

Measured top speed: 138

Average fuel economy: 27 mpg
High/low fuel economy: 31/23mpg

Avarage range including reserve: 107 miles

Braking distance:
From 30 mph: 31'
From 60 mph: 128'

Wet weight: 701 lb

·
Registered
226 Posts
Go ride one and see which one feels the best for you. and which looks the best to you. I personally think the 9 is the most comfortable bike I have ever owned, but the next guy may or may not agree. So go decide for yourself.:bigthumbsup: As far as power , how much does that matter?? if you have alot of cash anything can run hard:joke:

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Good Video

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Go ride one and see which one feels the best for you. and which looks the best to you. I personally think the 9 is the most comfortable bike I have ever owned, but the next guy may or may not agree. So go decide for yourself.:bigthumbsup: As far as power , how much does that matter?? if you have alot of cash anything can run hard:joke:
:agree: And thanks Bob that was funny!!!!!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Who am I? I seen V-max on the track. Never seen a Busa Beat by One. Yes it is a Bad ass Cruiser but it aint all you make it out to be!!!

VMAX 1/4 mile and performance numbers
Just picked up the latest issue of Cycle World, and they had a full test of the new 2009 VMAX. This is the first one I've seen since the bike was debuted. Here's what they have:

Rear wheel horsepower: 174.3 @9000 RPM
Rear wheel torque: 113.0 @6600 RPM

1/4 mile time: 10.26 @ 135.8 mph

0-30 mph: 1.3
0-60 mph: 2.7
0-90 mph: 5.0
0-100mph: 5.9

Top gear roll ons:
40-60: 2.8
60-80: 3.0

Measured top speed: 138

Average fuel economy: 27 mpg
High/low fuel economy: 31/23mpg

Avarage range including reserve: 107 miles

Braking distance:
From 30 mph: 31'
From 60 mph: 128'

Wet weight: 701 lb

·
Registered
378 Posts
Thats must be the case!!!

Man I have never in th ILLinois area seen that, and I just cant belive that.At the tracks in my area all you see is busa and zx14 as the fast runners.. I would love to see a Vmax run a busa or zx14, I guess we have soem good jockeys in my area..lol

Thats weird because I have yet to see a Busa or a Zx14 beat a 2009/2010 Vmax in the 1/4 mile . Maybe the guys on the Vmax's are just better riders?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts