M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum, well actually any forum, so please bear with me if I post in the wrong spot or something. But I am looking for some advice. I have a deposit in on a 2007 white 109. I am a sucker for white. Anyone with thoughts on the color? Also I have been riding for two seasons now. This is my second season. For my first bike i purchased a 2001 Honda CBR 929RR crotch-rocket. I learned on that and rode it very well from what I have had other people tell me. A little shaky on the turns at first, I guess just gaining the trust to lay the bike out in the turn. But once I did, man it was a blast. I never have ridden a cruiser before. The closest was when I took my rider course and that was on a standard 250. I guess the two main things I want to ask is 1) If it is very hard to turn with this bike? because my 929 was 450 lbs wet but I was scared as :edit: :edit: :edit: :edit: at first to lay it out. I hear the 109 is supposed to be ridden kinda like a sportbike, meaning leaning alot but I'm just nervous it will be too heavy for me in turns and ill drop it :verymad:. 2) I am about 5'6" 178lbs. and have pretty good strength and about 30" inseam and size 9 shoe. Is this bike not going to be good for me? I sat on it in the dealership and reached the handlebars fine and they felt good ( a little wide but good) and they said they can adjust the brake to pull it in closer? But the footpegs and shifter felt a little far, but I could reach them. It just felt very stretched. Maybe its just me and since I'm not used to stretching that far for the pegs or shifter or brake considering I have only a size 9 shoe. Can the pegs be pulled closer? Anyone that could help me here would be greatly appreciated.......... I'm not sure if i should transfer the deposit to a 2007 GSXR 750 or just get the white 109. I have always wanted a cruiser but just hated the lack of power that i would loose coming off a sportbike (which is why the only one ill buy is the 109). Just don't wanna drop a brand new $13,600 bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
ive had sportbikes too man....went to a mean streak last year...and now the 109...im 6 foot...240lbs...the bike fits like a glove...its very well balanced so the weight is not that noticable...you cant ride it like a gixxer...if thats what you want by the gixxer...but as far as a cruiser bike...there is none higher than the 109...and the white looks awesome!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,035 Posts
ALBINO109 said:
I am new to this forum, well actually any forum, so please bear with me if I post in the wrong spot or something. But I am looking for some advice. I have a deposit in on a 2007 white 109. I am a sucker for white. Anyone with thoughts on the color? Also I have been riding for two seasons now. This is my second season. For my first bike i purchased a 2001 Honda CBR 929RR crotch-rocket. I learned on that and rode it very well from what I have had other people tell me. A little shaky on the turns at first, I guess just gaining the trust to lay the bike out in the turn. But once I did, man it was a blast. I never have ridden a cruiser before. The closest was when I took my rider course and that was on a standard 250. I guess the two main things I want to ask is 1) If it is very hard to turn with this bike? because my 929 was 450 lbs wet but I was scared as :edit: :edit: :edit: :edit: at first to lay it out. I hear the 109 is supposed to be ridden kinda like a sportbike, meaning leaning alot but I'm just nervous it will be too heavy for me in turns and ill drop it :verymad:. 2) I am about 5'6" 178lbs. and have pretty good strength and about 30" inseam and size 9 shoe. Is this bike not going to be good for me? I sat on it in the dealership and reached the handlebars fine and they felt good ( a little wide but good) and they said they can adjust the brake to pull it in closer? But the footpegs and shifter felt a little far, but I could reach them. It just felt very stretched. Maybe its just me and since I'm not used to stretching that far for the pegs or shifter or brake considering I have only a size 9 shoe. Can the pegs be pulled closer? Anyone that could help me here would be greatly appreciated.......... I'm not sure if i should transfer the deposit to a 2007 GSXR 750 or just get the white 109. I have always wanted a cruiser but just hated the lack of power that i would loose coming off a sportbike (which is why the only one ill buy is the 109). Just don't wanna drop a brand new $13,600 bike.
Hey bro, let me just tell ya about myself and let you decide if this bike fits you. I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam also, got you on weight by quite a bit and wear the same size shoes. This was my first bike after 10 years off so it was almost like starting from scratch for me. Having said that I can put this bike on its pegs in a full lock turn at 3-5mph and never have had a problem with handling.

It carries most all of its weight very low on the frame and feels very naturally balanced to me. Pegs can't be pulled closer, but if you're worried about being too short you might look into one of these to move forward: http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=5258.0 Should move you closer but may make you stand up a bit more.. shouldn't be a problem for you tho. As for the handlebars, mine are just a bit of a reach for me and can cause my lower back to hurt on long rides, but I haven't tried rotating them up yet, and I'm planning on adding some riser extensions also, both of which should help.

Hope that helps and I'd take the 9 over the GSXR-750 any day. No comparison in comfort and the 9 will get WAY more attention as well 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awsome! :bigthumbsup: Thanks! :bigthumbsup: I do want a crusier real bad im just not sure how to ride it in turns or anything like that... any tips? And if your 6 ft 240 and it fits like a glove isnt it gonna be a little to big for me?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
Best you can do is ride one...i gotta 34 inch inseam too.so my legs r long...but it feels perfect to me...its all about what is comfy for you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,035 Posts
Uhmm... Take a look at these bro?





Heather (FireCat) is only about about 5' nuttin' if I recall right and weighs < 120lbs I believe I read... Now if she can take this bike out and throw it around turns and DRAG RACE it.. Are you gonna say you're not big enough to put it thru a turn?? :joke: :joke:

Oh and FireCat, I hope ya don't mind me reposting your proofs 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nice, that seat im sure would def help. But i dunno if im too crazy about how high the back sticks up. If it were a little bit lower then it would be an instant sold. I guess im just gonna have to ride this thing and if i dont like it then have no choice but to get that seat. BTW this forum is awsome! Im loving it and all the help im getting in a quick amount of time. I think u guys r right the 109 is the way to go. Worst case senario I could just sell it or trade it if it doesnt work out for me. Its just so damn sexy! ....... Can anyone photoshop me the white with red, black, or blue flames or tribal design?? Thanks in advance
 
G

·
Hey ALBINO109, it's all about your preference. I bought the 109 because there was no way my wife would have climbed on a Gixxer. I was one day away from buying an '06 750. But for long rides the 109 is much more comfortable. I have ridden mine about 1500 miles the last month and I'm still sore from the 2+ hour rides. It is big bike to spread your legs around. It is heavy, I almost layed it over in my garage. But the bike is balanced so well. it can be ridden close to a sportbike, and leaned over almost as much. Your insurance should be less than half a sportbike, such as in my case. I still have a severe itch for a sportbike though. Someday i will get my Busa. The white bike looks awesome, I picked the blurple myself. Whatever you choose, dont regret it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We have a winner:

:a20: Thanks for that DaltonH. You made it offical for me. Im going to pick up the bike tomorrow and getting out there this weekend! Done deal!

White M109 it is!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,035 Posts
ALBINO109 said:
We have a winner:

:a20: Thanks for that DaltonH. You made it offical for me. Im going to pick up the bike tomorrow and getting out there this weekend! Done deal!

White M109 it is!
Hmmm... thats sweet... You may be the first person SHAMED into buying an M109! HAHA! :joke: :joke: :joke: :D :D
 
G

·
LOL well the day I hit a 120lbs my fight coach will lock me in a shed and starve me to death, I fight at 100lbs so I never go above 108lbs but maybe with all the gear I'm close to 120lbs ;). This is me after the first month on the bike now I shave up the pipes just to keep the rust off them, and my pegs are almost cut in half from dragging the bike in and out of turns. If I can handle this bike anyone should be able to ;)

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:redfaced: Yeah its a little shameful, but figured it would be better to be shamed in here rather than in a corner in front of the hotest girl anyone has ever laid eyes on...... Sux when that happens. (happened to a good friend of mine).

BTW just for clarification, normally I'm not such a "marypants". But I guess I'm gonna have to gain some of my testosterone back by learing how to ride it very well and ripping sick wheelies like JR.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
But I guess I'm gonna have to gain some of my testosterone back by learing how to ride it very well and ripping sick wheelies like JR.

DON'T DO THAT......I'm not being a "Marypants".....but J.R. is the guy you see on those "closed coarse" commercials :bigthumbsup:
:joke: :joke: :joke: :joke:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:bigthumbsup: Thanks and :beer3: cheers with two beers to you and ur victory on your 1 inch risers. I might have to steal them from you though lol. Or at least borrow them. looking out for my fellow vertically challenged folk.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey who knows you might see me next......... dreams are always good right? suxs only a select few come true lol
 
G

·
ALBINO109 said:
Hey who knows you might see me next......... dreams are always good right? suxs only a select few come true lol
Ya vertically challenged people get all the cool cloths ;) and shoes they never run out of my size shoes ;). LOL just kidden, but ha if you do get the 109 and you are in the area of Colorado I'll be more then happy to show you how we can get this bike to act like a street bike and do cool thing that taller people can't :D.

A few examples, I can stand up on my bike when I'm riding, I can sleep on my bike (head to toe and its comfortable, I always fall asleep on long waits.) we can put are feet on the back pegs and look somewhat normal and no one messes with you because they think we are mental :joke:
 
G

·
If you want a fun bike with little maintenance go for the M109R. I used to hate cleaning that damn chain. That Gixxer sure is nice though. Hope this helps...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the tips ITGuy, I'll def be sure not to do that now. As for the throttle through the turn I'll be sure to wear dark colored underware on the ride home just in case.....

Firecat, :a20:. I actually am going to be in the Colorado area soon.... scouting out a house for ski season... What part are you in? I wasn't planing on taking my bike out there but maybe now I will. How much riding time is left out there...cant be much right? Sorry New York boy here.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top