M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Banned
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I love the 109 but it has ALOT of faults. I have had and driven ever year of this bike and I have a list of complaints that I think need to be a addressed by Suzuki developers.

The look, This bike looks mean, like a true iron horse and stays extremely popular with a great following. Sounds mean and tons of torque (2much)

If you have any complaints post them up

DISLIKES

1) WHY IS THIS BIKE NOT A 6 SPEED ?

2) CLUTCH SHUDDER - while loading up an 08 today the clutch shuttered terribly, made me wonder why its not fixed, with the current design and displacement I dont think it can be fixed ?

3) BAD HANDLING - Even with inverted forks I can still handle a goldwing, valkyrie, and V Star much easier than I can handle this beast.

4) TOO MUCH TORQUE, NO TOP END - How come at 70 mph the bikes power band falls off the deep end ? While in 2nd gear their power to the rear is so much that it spins tire causing an unsafe grip ?

·
Banned
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Please dont try to jump on here and "stand up to me" yet adress the dislikes with an open and logical mind.

·
Registered
300 Posts
a cruiser without CRUISE :dontknow::dontknow: and yeah a 6th gear for...um...cruising!!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Absolutely a 6th gear!

This gear would not be for higher speeds but the bike has enough torque and horsepower to be able to run at 75 mph at a much lower rpm. (say 3000?) the fuel savings would be tremendous. My fuel mileage faulters greatly when i have to get on the freeway.

The best place for good fuel economy for me is the mountains. It has so much torque it does not take extra fuel to go up hill and coasting downhill saves tons.

Other than that i do not have any problems to complain about. A few minor things that are easily corrected like the Rear brake pedal set up for someone with really small feet. like a size 10 or smaller...

As far as too much torque, i think that is a throttle control issue on the opwerator. I appreciate the torque.

I do not have a Problem with the powerband dropping off. However i have never ridden one of these stock either. So it is possible that is cured when the PCIII is on the bike.

I think it is an improvement the location of the tach on the newer models.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I think every bike has it's upside and downsides. ...with any downer I can come up with, one twist of the thottle makes me forget about it :D and no, not too much torque - for me anyway. :bigthumbsup::D :doorag:

·
Registered
216 Posts
"TOO MUCH TORQUE".... Is there really such a thing? :dontknow: I'd say that goes in the PROS column but that's just me. As for what I don't like..... SUZUKI's attitude and history of ignoring and addressing common design deficiencies/flaws--we all know what they are. Doesnt look like they are @ all interesed in taking the design to a new level by fixing some of the common issues with the bike even in newer models.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I would have to say an extra gear would be nice, since I am always looking for it anyways..Besides, what about an aftermarket trans? is there anyone making a 6 speed for the 109?

·
Registered
791 Posts
"TOO MUCH TORQUE".... Is there really such a thing? :dontknow: I'd say that goes in the PROS column but that's just me. As for what I don't like..... SUZUKI's attitude and history of ignoring and addressing common design deficiencies/flaws--we all know what they are. Doesnt look like they are @ all interesed in taking the design to a new level by fixing some of the common issues with the bike even in newer models.
:agree:+1

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I'll give you the top 2 but not the bottom 2:pop:

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
I love my 9 but think it would be an improvement if it were a 6 speed.
mostly for the fuel economy, hense my screen name the GASSGUZZLER lol all my friends rag on me because at 135 miles I ned gas, I just tell them I will wait for them at the station I will hae my gas pumped before they get there. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
VERY true!!! The part that really pisses me off is that they bring the 2010LE in the US and try to pass it off as a 2011....:confused:

·
Premium Member
3,523 Posts
shudder is getting bad on my bike. Last year was bad. I am going to try to address it before spring if it ever warms up.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
3) BAD HANDLING - Even with inverted forks I can still handle a goldwing, valkyrie, and V Star much easier than I can handle this beast.
:eek:.........I'm not even sure how to respond to this one. Other than I completely disagree.

I think every bike has it's upside and downsides. ...
:agree:

all my friends rag on me because at 135 miles I ned gas, :bigthumbsup:
I don't need gas until 170-180 miles so I don't get this complaint either.

-----------------------------------------

The 6th gear thing is not a big deal for how I ride. If I rode hundreds of nonstop, flat, straight, boring interstate miles at 85mph then I could see needing a 6th gear. But alas I don't consider that type of riding to be fun so I try to avoid it. The bike is not even working hard in 5th gear at 70mph so I don't think its a big deal.

Clutch Shudder, Bad rear rotors on 06 & 07 models, PITA to get to and change the shock preload IMO, Do away with the plastic/fake chrome tank trim and move speedo to a small digital display, they should all come debeavered and with shorter/louder exhausts are some things that come to mind about the bike that I would consider improvements.

Oh and how about a sight glass for the oil reservoir instead of the damned dipstick that never reads correctly.

·
Registered
254 Posts
:eek: what? wow! and I thought the 'easy on the throttle' for 125-130 was AWESOME!!! I must be twisting the gas away when I ride. I avg 120mi per tanker :dontknow:
I start looking for a gas station at 150 miles.

I start panicking at 170 miles.

I start pushing at 180 miles.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I have the C and I hate that 2nd gear clunk, this is the same for both the C and M.
I have to shift HARD from 1st to 2nd to keep this from happening but understand that there are some current fixes for this problem. Suzuki could have made both bikes without that problem but didn't.

I've rode both the C and the M and found the M to handle better then the heavier C. I also own a M95 Suzuki (AKA Kawi Mean Steak), this bike is a outstanding handling bike, rides smooth and looks cool for a cruiser but when I'm in with a pack of M's, goldwings or other higher power bikes I always seem to end up at the back of the pack because of a lack of power, even after the big 3 mods this bike only packs a punch of about 76-80hp.

As said before, pro and cons no matter what bike you own. If you can do your own mods most not all (6th gear) but most problems can be fixed or learned to live with!

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Sometimes I feel like Nathan's (GeorgiaRoller's) parrot.....seems like I always agree with him...LOL!

The only problem I have with this bike is the high rate of 2nd gear failures....unacceptable!

All of your other complaints IMHO, are unwarranted. This bike has looks, power, handling, etc. I can go 200 miles on a tank and I have more fun than I should on the twisties.

A sight glass would be nice....my GSXR has spoiled me.

·
Registered
445 Posts
1st bike i ever owned so i don't know any better...lol but my biggest thing would have been the gear indicator turning corners in 1st and trying to grab 6th gear when there isn't one! no fun!

1 - 20 of 84 Posts