M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
XXXclnt site. The 411's gr8! Here's my sitch, maybe u can shed some light: Â

After 2.5 yrs & putting 20K plus miles on my vtx - (up the coast, Yosemite, Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon, etc., etc) - it's X 4 a change. The vtx was a solid bike - though a tad top heavy. Come nxt Jan/Feb /March, i'll b going w/ either the M or Strato.  By then there should be lots more solidly built mods / asses avail (4ward controls, quick release backrest / lug rack, seats, pipes ) Both the M / Strato r xtrmly well balanced - also want the option of going the occasional 2 up trips w/ some power. And from what I've read on this site, the M is good for 2 up long rides providing u change out the seats.Â

W/ bikes & cars i generally buy 1 or 2 yr used from the "wife's pregnant / moving / to many toys /bored with it / can't make payments" group. OR off the showroom flr after the nxt yr models have come out and in Jan / Feb / Mar - dealers r making wicked deals.  If I go M - from what i've seen, I should be able to p/u a used '06 for about 8Kish (come Feb / Mar ) 9.5K to 10.5K now - then sink about 3/4 K in mods.  If u come x a "used bike", I can travel from TX to the Pacific, or from Washington state to the Mex-afornia boarder.Â

Any suggestions or comments r greatly appreciated ?? And how does 1 place a pix below their username, and /or in their message?Â

thx much -Â

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Welcome to the board. I plan on buying an 06 or an 07 (M) in 2008 or 2009, myself, and adding a couple grand in accessoreis. Never been on a Strat, but prefer the look/style of the M..so the Strat isn't an option for me.

As far as your wanting comments and suggestions, here they are, but remember, you asked for them. :)

1) I think any bike above 650cc can be a great bike for two-up long rides. You just have to make both rider & passenger comfortable, both on the bike, and in the type of traffic you ride in. Meaning...the 650 V-Star or 650 Savage may not be great two-up riding in 85 mph Atlanta traffic...but would be just dandy on backroads travelling and enjoying the view, country, etc.

2) If it's occassional two-up, then buying a bike for good 'two-up' long rides riding might be buying a bike for the wrong reason.

3) I got a couple friends with VTXs and they seem to be just fine for riding, even two-up. 20K miles is just barely starting to break a bike in so why not just do some mods to it & keep the bike you have..or are you just wanting another bike?

4) Your spelling, grammar, and punctuation made it hell to read your post.

Then again, those are my comments and suggestions, so do with 'em what you want. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
890 Posts
:welcome:

I haven't personally heard when the Stratos will be available, there is a promo on this board but I didn't see a release. That said if you follow your purchasing strategy you'll get a great deal, though you may find that 06's will be hard to come by soon because of the colors available only for that year. Mainly Silver, burple was a limited offering and rare! If you think you want Silver you'll prolly end up getting used rather than new seanon change, well used... ;).

I don't ride 2-up so I can't address that, but this bike is not like any other you're ridden. So come on take the plunge!

Devilish

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
DevilishEyes109 said:
:welcome:

I haven't personally heard when the Stratos will be available, there is a promo on this board but I didn't see a release. That said if you follow your purchasing strategy you'll get a great deal, though you may find that 06's will be hard to come by soon because of the colors available only for that year. Mainly Silver, burple was a limited offering and rare! If you think you want Silver you'll prolly end up getting used rather than new seanon change, well used... ;).

I don't ride 2-up so I can't address that, but this bike is not like any other you're ridden. So come on take the plunge!

Devilish
I would have to say he is talking about the Star(Yamaha) Stratoliner :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
686 Posts
I love my 109, but only have 600 miles on it (3 screws in the back tire benched it until I can get another tire in....hopefully today). You will hear a lot of responses on the other issues, and a lot of them are personal preference, so I will just address price.

If you can find an '06 in a dealership, you can most likely get it for around $10.5k new. I think there are still two in a dealership here in Utah. I almost bought the blue one, but had to have the red one still in the crate out back. :)

Depending on when and where you buy, your price will vary a LOT. If you buy quite early in the season, and buy in a cold climate, you may still get a good deal. However, if you wait until it is warming up (at least around here), everyone gets the bug for a bike. Sellers and dealers will hold quite firm to their price.

Around here, if you can find a bike you want, the best time to buy is in the butt-cold time of the year......then you just have to worry about getting the machine home without turning into a popsicle.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Bonehead said:
I would have to say he is talking about the Star(Yamaha) Stratoliner :bigthumbsup:
Hahahaha...I bet you're right...my bad :eek: :dontknow:

Devilish

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
3) I got a couple friends with VTXs and they seem to be just fine for riding, even two-up. 20K miles is just barely starting to break a bike in so why not just do some mods to it & keep the bike you have..or are you just wanting another bike?
 :bigthumbsup:
Agree 20K + miles is barely broken in - however, it is top heavy and if I go the phat tire route, fender, etc. on the vtx well, it's 2-4K ez. And the M, apparently I can move up 2 a 260 tire on the same wheel 8) - and ride 2 up 4 the occasional get away wknd w/ a vry large fake breasted chickeeepo :bigthumbsup:.

Not worried about colors. 4 about 1K-ish w/ parts xchange, can have an awesome paint scheme if needed. Rode HD's for 25 yrs before going metric. (Does my 1st 350 honda count?) So going back under 95 cubes, or under 1400 cc's is NOT an option.Â

The Strato's & Roadliners r n! The 190 tire, aluminum frame, longer wheel base, and newer 'more better' Yam motor makes a diff. Feels good, sounds good. Â

sry if my e-mails r difficult 2 read at times. The age of speed w/ texting & emails. Guess I might want to stop dating young women. I grunt - they fast text. What can I say.

All ur suggestions r gr8!  Have a few mths 2 decide. hey, how do I post a pix under my name, or in the 'signature' section?  My limited Detroit ed 'ain't' helping :dontknow:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Bro,

The strato will be more akin to the VTX. If you want to up the performance ante greatly, the 109 would be a better thrill ride. It's by no means a touring bike, however, it's much more comfortable than my Harley Night Train and I've put 24K miles on that bike in 2 years. If you get the chance to test drive one at one of the bike events, you'll be blown away. I've ridden the Strato, Victory
Hammer, and Kawi 2000; no comparison to the 109. The 109 is simply less conventional. That's my 2 coppers.

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts