M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi today was the first time i took the missus out with the 2.5 lowering bones on and i have to say i am not happy with it i love the look but every little bump in the road and it was scraping the underside of the fender and even with just me on the bike it scrapes the pegs so much faster now the corners that didnt scrape do now i think i will end up taking these off i dont know how the ones with 3 inch ones on could not be scraping i know they will say stiffen the shock up more but when i am on by myself i hit bumps and nearly get thrown off the seat now

·
Registered
277 Posts
Gav, i only went the 2inch lowering bones and dont have the 18inch wheel but its so cool. It looks good and ive had a pillion on over bumps and speed humps and around bendy corners and its awesome. Yeh it does touch the feelers a little earlier but i find i tend to drag my heels first which actually helps me feel my way around corners. Oh and im not light and just quietly neither is my passenger lol. Mine will definetly stay lowered :doorag:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hey gavs,

Sorry to hear about the lowering probs. I have the 3" and i am currently about 245 lbs and i have not bottomed out yet. I do scrape the feelers alot but i did that even when i was on stock bones. I can ride 2 up and no probs with bottoming out yet but i also have a set of 2 1/2 that i would be switching to if doing a long trip 2up. Might be because i am on the stock tire still? might want to try the 2" or 1 1/2" and see how that works for you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey gavs,

Sorry to hear about the lowering probs. I have the 3" and i am currently about 245 lbs and i have not bottomed out yet. I do scrape the feelers alot but i did that even when i was on stock bones. I can ride 2 up and no probs with bottoming out yet but i also have a set of 2 1/2 that i would be switching to if doing a long trip 2up. Might be because i am on the stock tire still? might want to try the 2" or 1 1/2" and see how that works for you.
:agree:
Definitly the 240 problem. Measure the distance from where the tyre rubs to the fender where it rubs and divide by 2. It will tell you how low you can drop without bottoming out on roads with a passenger.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i might have to try the 200 again but the bike feels alot different than before i lowered it .like i have to really muscle it around the corners also i helped my mate lower his 109 on the weekend and he nearly lost the bike after he was going around a roundabout and he must of scraped his peg and panic and stood the bike up abit and drifted into the other lane he was lucky he clipped a 4wd and snapped the footpeg off and put some light scratches on the fender and shroud i dont know how he didnt dent the fuel tank but there was a mark high on the neck close to the tank i feel somewhat guilty because he seen mine lowered and he loved it and i brought the bones for him

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hey Gav sounds like ur mate had a lucky escape, but really when u mod something on ur bike u gotta give it bit of re-learning time when you go for that test ride. No way u should feel guilty though, he wanted u to lower it.
Sure it does scrape the pegs earlier but i just find it feels better lower to the ground.
Thats why i use my heels to feel my way around, its working for me!

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have to agree with Spanners here,yes it does scrape abit earlier but it handels great with the 2" bones and looks great, must have something to do with the 240 Gav

·
Registered
381 Posts
And that's why I'd never lower my bike.
I have the 3" kit on mine and drive it into the turns... i drag peg alot... but i did that before i lowered it aswell.

the way i ride.. my heels hit first.. i can feel it all the way upto the pegs... i know before it is going to drag so i can control the drag better and i have never had a problem leaning it. You must understand before you head into the turn...this is not a sport bike.. you can't do the 90 degree turns at 75... anyone who tries will learn that lesson real quick.

Sorry to hear about your problems... do what is right for you and your style of riding and be safe, keep it shiny side up.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i like the way the bike looks and yes i do use my heels to judge when its going to drag but i just found that when i was flying through the corners even with the 240 on i could go just as fast when the 200 was on now you have to take the corners alot slower unless you would like to wear out the pegs i know its not a sports bike but you dont get many thrills from going in a straight line its a pity theres not an air ride made for the 90

1 - 10 of 10 Posts