M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning All,

I recently purchased the 2in lowering bones from Johnskits.com and while I'm waiting for delivery I figured I'd get as much info as possible on the installation. John sent me the instructions which look pretty straight forward, & I'm sure they will make more sense once I start installing the bones, but my question to those who have lowered their bikes is "Do you have any advice for someone who is trying to lower their bike?" It seems a lot of jobs that I accomplish there is always some hine-sight after the fact that would have made the job A LOT easier. So any advice would be greatly appreciative. ^-^

Thanks for any info Y'all can give,

Brian

·
Registered
15 Posts
just installed mine from Johnskits, his instructions are spot on. they talk about removing the top muffler...i have cobra slash downs and thought i could skip this, nope. there is an access behind the pipes, a hole big enough to fit the 22mm socket, you cant miss it. all in all its a fairly simple install. take some before and after pics.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Did mine last weekend without removing anything. Jacked it up far enought to get the wrench up from the bottom.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I wrote those instructions so I am glad to hear people are having good experiences with them. There are ways to get around a couple of steps but that will depend on what hand tools you have and how anal you are about scratching stuff. The instructions are written for the very basic hand tools. When I did this I found my 12" long 3/8" drive breaker bar and 24" long 1/2" breaker bar to be a must due to the high torques on the bigger nuts. John asked me if it was absolutely necessary to remove the shock and I included that step because it was easier to move around under there and get both bones aligned for bolt insertion with the shock out of the way plus it kept things from getting the crap scratched out of them too. You definately have to take it loose but it's up to you whether or not to remove it from the cavity. It wasn't any trouble for me to slide it out from the bottom so I did it. I am not sure if he left the shock removal step in the instructions or not. The other thing about the top muffler removal was put in there because I also have the Cobra Swept Slash Down pipes and I was not sure if the stock mufflers leave you with enough space to get in there. I was able to do mine without having to remove any part of the Cobra pipes. I guess it just depends on what hand tools you have.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the information. I helped my brother lower his Yamaha Raider, and it wasn't too bad. I'm hoping to lower my M90 in the next week or two, & I'll let you all know how it goes...Thanks again,

Brian

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have been looking at mine.. looks like it is going to be fairly simple with 2 of us doing it. I don't think i am going to need to remove the shock but until i do it.. i might be wrong. My 3" lowering bones from john should be in early this week... so either thurs or fri mine will be dropped. I am planning on doing all the measurments and pics for john and i will also post them here after.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts