M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone dropped the fork tubes in the triple tree. would like the steering to turn in a little quicker for better cornering. havent really looked at it yet. just wondering, it worked well on my bandit 1200.

·
Registered
161 Posts
It won't help your cornering any. Just like on the Warrior the turn in isn't your problem with the 109. The weak link is the clearance. Lowering the forks will only lessen your already low ground clearance. Besides your turn in is going to be a little slower regardless of what you do to the forks. That's one of the downsides of having a 240 rear end.

Yes, I know, I don't own a 109. But Warrior guys have been putting 240 kits on their bikes for close to 4 years and complaining about the same thing you are. But the best fix is to get tire sizes that will let you corner. Reducing clearance on these two bikes is NOT what you want to do.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i know cornering is tough with a 240, but how could dropping the forks a little not quicken the steering?

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
That's right about the stock 240 rear, but doesn't seem to be true in general just because it's a large tire. I just put the Metzler 260 rear on and I can tell you, it's mucho faster into a corner than it was before. Made much more difference than I had imagined. The bike actually feels quite a bit lighter in handling now.

·
Registered
161 Posts
That's because you are squishing a 260 on a smaller rim and thus making it a higher crowned tire than its supposed to be. You will get quicker turn in, but your tire will flat spot a lot quicker than a guy running a 240 on that rim.

As for the forks yes it will quicken turn in a little. But if you are really worried about turn in, than you should be even more concerned with available clearance while turning IMO. I fixed both on the Warrior by raising the rear end 1 inch, that quickened turn in and gave me more ground clearance. Best of both worlds.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DFW_Warrior said:
That's because you are squishing a 260 on a smaller rim and thus making it a higher crowned tire than its supposed to be. You will get quicker turn in, but your tire will flat spot a lot quicker than a guy running a 240 on that rim.

As for the forks yes it will quicken turn in a little. But if you are really worried about turn in, than you should be even more concerned with available clearance while turning IMO. I fixed both on the Warrior by raising the rear end 1 inch, that quickened turn in and gave me more ground clearance. Best of both worlds.
actually metzeler recommends this tire for the 109 8.5" rim or a 9.5" rim.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
DFW_Warrior said:
That's because you are squishing a 260 on a smaller rim and thus making it a higher crowned tire than its supposed to be. You will get quicker turn in, but your tire will flat spot a lot quicker than a guy running a 240 on that rim.

As for the forks yes it will quicken turn in a little. But if you are really worried about turn in, than you should be even more concerned with available clearance while turning IMO. I fixed both on the Warrior by raising the rear end 1 inch, that quickened turn in and gave me more ground clearance. Best of both worlds.
As a point of reference for others that might entertain a like tire change. The Metzler 260 is not quite as big as the numbers might lead one to believe. It's actually smaller than the Dunnie 250 - and it's in between the size of the Dunnie 240 and 250. So it's really a smaller size change than you might think. When you run that against the total radius of the tire and it's mount points, I think any change in the contact profile of the tire is negligible. I think more importantly, when you look at the 240 Dunnie and the 260 Metzler together off the bike, you can see that it has a rounder surface and less flat center contact point from a design standpoint. That's where the big difference in handling comes from.

Point well taken on the contact point and wear for the Metzler tire. It will be real interesting to see how far this tire goes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Before you try dropping the forks in the triple clamps ya better take a close look at them just under the top clamp.

They're tapered!!! :mad:

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Billh is right the forks are tapered much like my VTX. You can not dropthe forks down in the trees without making mods to the fork tubes. Thanks for the info on tires I am getting close to a change out and am considering the Metz 260. I would like to keep tread patterns the same front and rear, does Metz offer a front tire for the 109?

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
lostrider said:
Billh is right the forks are tapered much like my VTX. You can not dropthe forks down in the trees without making mods to the fork tubes. Thanks for the info on tires I am getting close to a change out and am considering the Metz 260. I would like to keep tread patterns the same front and rear, does Metz offer a front tire for the 109?
Metzler does not make a VR rated tire like the 260 rear is that is stock size, but they do make a 130/70R18 tire which I am told is an HR rated tire. It is the same tread pattern. It's a bit hard to find though. At first my dealer told me it didn't exist. Then he finally came back and said it's listed as the front tire for the VTX1800. So I guess it's listed as a Honda tire by Metzler. That's what I put on the front to go with the 260 rear and it's working great so far.

So you know, Metzler does make a 130/60VR18 tire (VR rated like the back). But my dealer recommended not going with a lower profile (60 series) tire up front as it might mess up the overall handling of the bike.

·
Registered
161 Posts
jazzman said:
So you know, Metzler does make a 130/60VR18 tire (VR rated like the back). But my dealer recommended not going with a lower profile (60 series) tire up front as it might mess up the overall handling of the bike.
It won't hurt a thing. if anything the smaller sidewall tire will help quicken the steering a tiny bit. But it definitely won't do anything bad to the bike. And I really wouldn't worry too much about keeping tread patterens the same front and rear. As long as the tire types and cross sections remain similar you will be just fine. In fact the only time I've ever had matching tires on any bike was off the showroom floor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts