M109 Rider Forums banner

Lowering the 109R

9K views 35 replies 16 participants last post by  muahman 
#1 ·
Anyone out there got any ideas on lowering the 109 an inch or so, I just put on my side mount plate and cut away all that plastic plate crap in the back to show off the 240 now I need to drop the bike some to kill some of that gap between fender and tire. I have asked before about lowering the bike just wondering if anyone as anything yet    Thanks

#2 ·
Re: Lowering to 109R

Throw a chick on the back.... a heavy one if you want that low rider look... handling suffers, though... LOL :joke:

Seriously, I don't think anything's out yet for lowering... I'm sure something is in the works... as with just about everything for this bike...

J

#3 ·

thanks...The fat chick thing doesn't work for me unless it's 4am and there is nothing left. I lowered my 02 VTXR 1 1/4 inches with no adverse affect in handling. But O will wait to see what comes out and what the reviews are.

G
#5 ·

I spoke with my service manager about that last week. He said "you have to remove the shock cover and replace the dog bones (don't know just what they are, or what size you would use.) There was a post on this site awhile ago showing a 109 that some guy had lowered, but I have not been able to get any information on how to do it.

#6 ·

Any of you guys have a service manual, or an online part diagram catalog. You should be able to find it in the exploited view. The dog bones on my bike is probably not the same, but I bet they are similar. Just look under the bike at the swing arm pivot. There should be a set of links under there that will look like a dog bone. My advice would be to see if you can get another set to experiment with. Cutting them down a 1/4", may lower it over an 1". So be careful

#11 ·

Well I've got a chubby chick (wife) and I am tellin ya, it don't get any better than this!!! You guys don't know what you're missing. :evil: :a18:

#12 ·

lostrider, I have not seen under the 109, but if they are anything like my intruder 1500, they do kinda look like a dog bone, and to lower your bike you make them (dog bones) longer....I have had 3 sets of dog bones made for my ride in a 1" , 2" , and 3" drop.....I run the 2" all the time.....When having them made, it is for every 1/4" longer you make the dog bone...it is equal to 1" of drop.....so if stock length of the dog bone is 6".... you have one made 6 1/4"......you'll get 1" drop.....hope this helps :bigthumbsup:

#13 ·

There was a guy in here, I think in tech tips, JasonZ, said he reworked the dogbones and dropped it. Looks great. The pics showed the bike lowered, de-badged and he tucked the tachometer. I think he also did a side-mount tag off the rear hub. I think his post was under, "Got some work done here." Would like to get mine dropped a bit.

Keep it on 2 guys.
brent.

#14 ·

I should have some ready end of this week... gonna be doing a few sizes ... anywhere from mild 1" to probably 3+". I've had trouble sourcing the bearing in the upper portion of the link, so these will be solid steel bushed. Won't wear... however there might be a squeek once in a blue moon. Looks like these will cost about $75-100 a set. You guys willing to pay that?

#15 ·

Hey guys thanks for all the info. Kudos to the 109 bro with the "2 great rides" Jason I saw your bike it looks great. you lowered it right where I am looking to go. What size did you go with on yours? The price sounds pretty good but I am a little concerned about not having the bearing in there could cause long term probs. I'll keep looking but let me know what you come up with Thanks

#16 ·

lostrider......jasonz is right on with the bearings in the link having to be changed along with the bones.....I have a few Roadstar buddies that have lowered there bikes and that's the way Yamahas rear suspension is also....at a rally in Stephenville one time I watched a guy lower a Roadstar in about 30 minutes....I guess once you have done that type of lowering kit, it doesn't take very long.....

#20 ·

Without seeing what I'm up against, I'm not sure... I might have the better part of a day figuring out the design. But if it's anything like my Volusia, I wold say somewhere around 40-50 a set. If I can, I will even make it universal, and have it 1-2-3" drop.
Just talking about this makes me want to go back to work and figure it out now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.