M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally the day has come!! I have been wanting to lower my 9 for quite some time. Studying the great write up and pics on how to do it from this forum but just did not want to take a chance on screwing something up. I harley rider told me of this guy that does custome work here local so I call him and he says he would do the links and the kickstand for $100 me buying the parts of course so as cold as it was I had to go drop her that day!!
I also saw a bike on here that had the factory exhaust shortened, we are going to look at getting that done also, I suppose. Man this will be a great Christmas if I get my bed back for my 71 C-10!!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Man, Should have tried it yourself. (both) The springs are the hardest part for the kickstand. And as far as the bones. If things were to go wrong. You could do like NavyDave. Put it back together until you can find some help.
Just messin with Dave cause he's a good friend. He's also bike sitting for me.
Next time try and do it yourself. All the help you need is in here.
Good luck for next time :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
215 Posts
I must agree,
After getting my oil change at a dealer which cost too much money and having them put to much oil in the bike pretty much ended me from letting others work on my bike, as long as people on the site can support me i will try it. Its such a good feeling of accomplishment as well. I'm still impress how i was able to install my bones myself.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Man, Should have tried it yourself. (both) The springs are the hardest part for the kickstand. And as far as the bones. If things were to go wrong. You could do like NavyDave. Put it back together until you can find some help.
I really wanted to try it myself and read up on it over and over just to build up my confidence but I was just to chicken. Not really a lot of people around here with 9's and he is going to do the kickstand for me.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I must agree,
After getting my oil change at a dealer which cost too much money and having them put to much oil in the bike pretty much ended me from letting others work on my bike, as long as people on the site can support me i will try it. Its such a good feeling of accomplishment as well. I'm still impress how i was able to install my bones myself.
I have changed the oil though, lol. I know what you mean by feeling of accomplishment by tinkering on my old truck and various mustangs. I feel sure I could have done it but I have screwed some stuff up too, lol. I really like this bike and did not want to take any chances getting frustrated and doind something stupid like I have been known to do.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,865 Posts
The kickstand springs are easy if you use one little trick. Extend the stand out to where the spring is stretched the most, then insert either washers or pennies between the spring coils. Move the stand back into place and the springs will fall off. After you put the new stand on, hook the springs (there's two of them) back up, extend the stand and remove the washers or pennies.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The kickstand springs are easy if you use one little trick. Extend the stand out to where the spring is stretched the most, then insert either washers or pennies between the spring coils. Move the stand back into place and the springs will fall off. After you put the new stand on, hook the springs (there's two of them) back up, extend the stand and remove the washers or pennies.
Thanks! I hope to get this beast to look as well as yours and a lot of other ones I have seen on here. I think there are only 2 in the area here so I hope to make mine stand out!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Cold

Got my bike back today and rather than trailering it home I decided to ride it and boy was a smiling to be on my way to getting this beast to having her own personality. I love the look!! I had it lowered 2 inches and I am now very happy with the way she sits. I am only 5'8" so it now sits very well for me and again I love the look. It was a cold ride home but I enjoyed it all from the shop to my shop about 8 miles of freezing joy!

Hopefully around Feb. I will be doing exhaust and power commander, then saving up some bucks for some wheels!! Man wheels are expensive, I thought they were high for my shelby!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What kind of lift do you guys use to change oil on a lowered bike? She does not need right now it only has 2400 miles and I just changed the oil about 200 miles ago when I bought from my brother in law. Would like to know for future reference thanks.

·
Registered
215 Posts

Harbor Freight $89.00 bucks
My bike is to low for the jack to go under, so i made a little ramp (2x4 and small sheet of plywood) to get the rear wheel up a few inches, it works great.

·
Registered
159 Posts
yeah that's my buddy.........and he is speaking the truth, if you need some help, there are many people here to help you out. and most of the stuff on the 9 is pretty easy. Just some of the engineering is redonkulous!!!!! get a service manual, and ask questions before starting a project. if you need help during the process, just ask. You will get lots of help here. Happy Mod'ing

Dave

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah that's my buddy.........and he is speaking the truth, if you need some help, there are many people here to help you out. and most of the stuff on the 9 is pretty easy. Just some of the engineering is redonkulous!!!!! get a service manual, and ask questions before starting a project. if you need help during the process, just ask. You will get lots of help here. Happy Mod'ing

Dave
Thanks, I will be getting the jack and I guess it can be too much harder than tinkering on my old truck. Just a lot of new stuff I have never dreamed of fooling with.

There are tons of info on here I have read just have not worked up the balls to do it lol!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Harbor Freight $89.00 bucks
My bike is to low for the jack to go under, so i made a little ramp (2x4 and small sheet of plywood) to get the rear wheel up a few inches, it works great.

Thanks, it does seem to be a little lower than 2 inches because I don't think I can change the oil with it sitting on the ground like I did before.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,865 Posts
What kind of lift do you guys use to change oil on a lowered bike? She does not need right now it only has 2400 miles and I just changed the oil about 200 miles ago when I bought from my brother in law. Would like to know for future reference thanks.
You need to do it off the lift so it drains completely. It only drains fully when sitting on the side stand, plus it helps to tilt it back and forth a little while it's draining to get more out.

Take a piece of 2 x 10 and angle one end. Lay it on the ground and run the rear tire up on it. That will lift it enough to easily get a pan under it, and if the pan is short enough you don't even need to do that.

I have to run mine up on something to even get the lift under it. It doesn't take much, maybe a 3/4" thick board, but it won't go under unless it's lifted a little.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I did the second oil change my self. Used the stand. One I did not have an oil filter wrench. PIA to get that off. Then the fun part was when the stream changes directions. My stand was in the way for the pan to catch it. NOT FUN. I have carpet in my garage.
Lesson learned for the next time.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I run the back tire up on a 4X4 piece of wood and put a 2X4 down for the kickstand. Than gives me enough clearance to have the drain pan underneath AND my hand while I'm taking the plugs on and off. I have a motorcycle jack, but as Blakester said, it would be very messy chasing the various streams.

-Josh

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I run the back tire up on a 4X4 piece of wood and put a 2X4 down for the kickstand. Than gives me enough clearance to have the drain pan underneath AND my hand while I'm taking the plugs on and off. I have a motorcycle jack, but as Blakester said, it would be very messy chasing the various streams.

-Josh
Thanks for all the input guys I am going to get me a jack for maintenance and cut me some pieces for wood for oil changes. Does anyone know if the K & N air cleaner makes any difference or just mental, lol.?

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Yes, K&N's make a huge difference. The stock air filter are pleated paper. K&N's are cotton trapped between 2 metal screens. It breathes a lot easier, thus increasing horsepower.

-Josh

·
Registered
791 Posts
hey gottattooz were there any mods necessary to put that 160 on the front? Just curious. Does it handle any different? ...like feel weightier in the front or??? ---tnx

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
hey gottattooz were there any mods necessary to put that 160 on the front? Just curious. Does it handle any different? ...like feel weightier in the front or??? ---tnx
WHen the tire is mounted and installed on the bike, I loosened my fender bolts and maximized the gap between the back of the fender and the tire by wedging a screwdriver in between and tightening down the fender mount bolts. That's all the modificatioins I did. It handles much better. It absorbs bumps better, has more clearance in the turns, and steering is more neutral ( it doesn't fight you as bad going in and out of turns like the stock tire does). I'm on my second 160/60 front tire, and I'd recommend it to everyone!

-JOsh

1 - 20 of 24 Posts