M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been thinking about lowering my 9 for a little while. I've done some searches about the different views on how much to lower the bike, but no one ever mentions the 1.50 inch lowering bones. I want to be able to ride my 9 through the twistys without scraping. Would I be wasting my money with the 1.5, or should I just go to the 2 inches? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Got mine lowered 2.5 with no troubles. But that's the twisties in AZ, now the ones back in Southern Indiana might be a different story, guess I'll find out when I move to Jasper in a couple months.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,143 Posts
Been thinking about lowering my 9 for a little while. I've done some searches about the different views on how much to lower the bike, but no one ever mentions the 1.50 inch lowering bones. I want to be able to ride my 9 through the twistys without scraping. Would I be wasting my money with the 1.5, or should I just go to the 2 inches? Thanks for any advice.
I just got back from a week in Gas City, and would like to know where you find those twisties out there. :D

1.5" lowers it enough to be noticeable if parked beside a stock bike, but it's not a lot of difference. And they are good if you need another 1/2" or so to be able to get both feet firmly on the ground.

You can go 2" easily and not worry about scraping. 2" bones only lower it about 3/4" at the pegs. Remove the peg feelers, or change the pegs to those that don't have them, and you gain most of that back. Then you can either shim the foot rest up or add a screw to the back of it to tilt them up a little and gain even more clearance.

For reference, I have the 2" Yana Shiki bones on mine which lowers it closer to 2.5". I have the Iso Dually pegs on it without feelers on them, and they are angled up a little. The angling actually makes them more comfortable for me. I have about 1/4" of chicken strip left on the rear tire and seldom ever touch the pegs.

A picture shows it best. Notice the upward tilt of the pegs. You can test this by lifting the pegs and placing a penny or two between them and the base to see if it works for you. If it does, remove the pegs and drill the base of them for a small bolt or screw. The stock pegs actually seem to droop a little on most of them.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I am a six foot 3 inch knuckle dragger and I weigh about 300 lbs. I would like to drop mine 2 inches but I am worried about my old lady ridding with me because of inner fender may scape. She only 100 lbs soak and wet. but that is a lot of weight and I cant leave her home, she is the eye candy.:drool:

·
Registered
960 Posts
Well, Zoom has ruined my reply.........:joke: What he said is dead-on IMO. I went 2 1/4 and I next to never scrape.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
I am a six foot 3 inch knuckle dragger and I weigh about 300 lbs. I would like to drop mine 2 inches but I am worried about my old lady ridding with me because of inner fender may scape. She only 100 lbs soak and wet. but that is a lot of weight and I cant leave her home, she is the eye candy.:drool:
you should be fine with the 2.25" bones from DLP. just be sure to set your rear shock setting to "6" or "7" to avoid bottoming out and also grind down the excess off the bolts underneath your rear fender so you don't gouge your rear tire.

as zoom mentioned, the 2" yana shiki brand of bones tend to lower the bike more than the 2.25" bones from DLP so take that into mind. if you really want to be safe, then go with the 1.5" bones or get the adjustable lowering bones from Raw Design.

good luck with whatever you choose.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts