M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the M109Rider community as of today and this is my first post. I bought a 2007 Suzuki Boulevard M109R Limited Edition motorcycle about a week and a half ago and absolutely love it. The previous owner took a great deal of pride in his bike and made some impressive modifications to it. One of the modifications he made was lowering the back of the bike by 2" using a lowering kit. I don't know what type of lowering kit he used but I've included a picture of what they look like to me from an online manufacturer. I've also attached pictures of my bike to give you an idea of what it will look like when it is lowered. I think this looks awesome but unfortunately I weigh about 100 pounds more than the previous owner, so when I take right turns too sharp the pipes drag the ground. The problem is just accentuated when I have a passenger. The best solution would be for me to lose weight but we all know how that goes. For a more immediate fix I want to put the original links back on my bike. However, the previous owner doesn't have the original links. I am ideally looking for someone who wants to lower their bike so we can negotiate an even exchange of the lowering links for the OEM links. Please let me know if you're interested.

Also, if anybody has any other solution suggestions please share. Thanks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
You can do a couple things here - if you'd like to have an adjustable set of "lowering bones" you can pick these up:

Adjustable Bones

OR - if you don't find a set of STOCK lowering bones within the next couple weeks, I'll ship you out mine as soon as I get back to the Northwest and take them off my bike at the end of July. I could probably have them shipped out by around the 28th of this month...I'm just kind of in Afghanistan right now....

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Check shock setting. Mine is on 2 with a 2.25" drop and still having trouble dragging pegs. Some bigger guys that have 2" are driving on 6 or 7. 2" is the best drop for a 9. Just enough to scrape pegs regularly. How much is you're total weight with passenger?:bigthumbsup:I weigh 220 and wife weighs 95lbs. hope this gives you a point of reference.

If you still want to go higher. In a couple weeks I will have a set of 2.25" cyclehouse lowering links for sale. Believe it or not the 2.25 drop is not as much as a 2". I just ordered a set of 2.5" drops.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
You can do a couple things here - if you'd like to have an adjustable set of "lowering bones" you can pick these up:

Adjustable Bones

OR - if you don't find a set of STOCK lowering bones within the next couple weeks, I'll ship you out mine as soon as I get back to the Northwest and take them off my bike at the end of July. I could probably have them shipped out by around the 28th of this month...I'm just kind of in Afghanistan right now....
Well Inked, you need to decide where your priorities lie. This guy needs some bones!!!:joke::joke::joke::D

·
Registered
74 Posts
Try changing your shock setting first. Look and see what it's set at. If it's setup for a stiffer ride then u may need to go back to stock or 1in drop. Previous owner my have been riding with it set on 2 or 3. It's normally 4 from factory. I just recently adjusted mine to 2 from 4. :super::super::super::super:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Adjustable Bones

That would be great if you could ship the originals to me. Is there somebody at your home now that could do that? If so my links would be back at your house by the time you get back. You're the first person I've found who still has their original links. Keep me posted. If you're in Afghanistan doing what I assume, US military work, I really appreciate what you do!!

Also, do you think those links you posted in the picture are sturdy enough to support my 250lb hind parts and a passenger? They just don't look that strong to me in the picture. I've seen those before on raw design.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Try changing your shock setting first. Look and see what it's set at. If it's setup for a stiffer ride then u may need to go back to stock or 1in drop. Previous owner my have been riding with it set on 2 or 3. It's normally 4 from factory. I just recently adjusted mine to 2 from 4. :super::super::super::super:
Thanks for the input, I hadn't checked that yet but I'll do that first.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Check shock setting. Mine is on 2 with a 2.25" drop and still having trouble dragging pegs. Some bigger guys that have 2" are driving on 6 or 7. 2" is the best drop for a 9. Just enough to scrape pegs regularly. How much is you're total weight with passenger?:bigthumbsup:I weigh 220 and wife weighs 95lbs. hope this gives you a point of reference.

If you still want to go higher. In a couple weeks I will have a set of 2.25" cyclehouse lowering links for sale. Believe it or not the 2.25 drop is not as much as a 2". I just ordered a set of 2.5" drops.
Thanks for the input, I think I follow what you're saying. I need to stiffen up the shock and see how that works before I start breaking the bike down to change links, right? Enjoy riding!

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Thanks for the input, I think I follow what you're saying. I need to stiffen up the shock and see how that works before I start breaking the bike down to change links, right? Enjoy riding!
Good Idea. Ride safe!:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
795 Posts
If it don't work out with Inked I have the stock set off my 07 LE I'll swap ya for the 2":bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
538 Posts
I haven't messed with my shock any, Can someone tell me if going up on the number stiffens the ride? How do you know what yours is set on? is there a Mark on the shock to go by?

·
Registered
96 Posts
If it don't work out with Inked I have the stock set off my 07 LE I'll swap ya for the 2":bigthumbsup:
This would likely be a much faster route to take. If my bike were at my house then I'd just have someone pull them off for you, but as it is, my bike is at the dealer, in their warehouse awaiting me to pick it up!!! I'm a new M109R owner as of yesterday, haha - I haven't even seen my baby yet!!

Out here working for the Marines on a contract - I'm a vet tho! :bigthumbsup: Good luck on getting those bones and shocks setup just right, I already know I'm going to be leaving sparks everywhere, so I just got some titanium lean angle points for my pegs! :evil:

G

·
I dragged the pipes when my bike was stock. The lowering bones don't affect the distance off the ground up front too much.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This would likely be a much faster route to take. If my bike were at my house then I'd just have someone pull them off for you, but as it is, my bike is at the dealer, in their warehouse awaiting me to pick it up!!! I'm a new M109R owner as of yesterday, haha - I haven't even seen my baby yet!!

Out here working for the Marines on a contract - I'm a vet tho! :bigthumbsup: Good luck on getting those bones and shocks setup just right, I already know I'm going to be leaving sparks everywhere, so I just got some titanium lean angle points for my pegs! :evil:
Inked,

Oh, what a sweet greeting when you return!!! I appreciate your willingness to help me out man. Stay safe over there and have a safe trip home. Get in touch with me when you get back.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,436 Posts
:welcome: and :congrats:

I had 2" on mine and they looked and worked great, except when both my wife and I were on board. Together we are around 365 pounds. With both of us riding I bottomed it out twice. If you keep the bones on, look under the fender right over the tire and make sure they ground the bolts off. They are the bolts that go down from above and hold part of the fender on. You can remove them from above and grind off about 3/16" so they don't dig into the tire.

I finally went with an air ride and really like it. I can't ride it as low as it was with the 2" bones and still have a decent ride, but you can ride at whatever height you want and slam it when parked.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Stock is 4 7/16"
1" drop is 4 9/16"
1 1/2" drop is 4 5/8"
2" drop is 4 11/16"
2 1/2' drop is 4 3/4"
3" drop is 4 15/16"
Are these center of hole to center of hole demnsions?
Also I heard that Yana Shiki are a little different than the cycle house. Do the 2" Yana's lower a little lower than the 2" cycle house?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.