M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed my lowering bones today. OMFG what a royal PITA! Had I known it would be this difficult I would have gladly paid to have them installed. Unfortunately, I got a pair that was not a perfect fit. I had to do some MAJOR forcing to get them installed. I've been working on them all day. I will upload pics later tonight. I have to take a shower because I'm flat filthy and I wanna ride it before I have to pick up the girls.

Here's the pics. Also shows the Cycle House plate mod and Small Kury Silver Bullets I added a while back.

·
Registered
315 Posts
lol... Medic I felt the same way... it kick my a$$ for 8 hours but I wasn't going to give up and glad I didn't love it.
Watch out for some speed bumps ... What in the hell did Suzuki put those bolts or with?

lets see the pics buddy.

G

·
Congratulations. I bet you installed them by your self? It is alot easier with two people working on this install.

Reed

·
Registered
702 Posts
Congratulations on sticking with it until finished. The end result looks great, and it adds to the love of the machine.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
billh1943 said:
but it's not hard doing the install by yourself.
Yeah, I guess it was just my imagination that I was out in the sun for over 5 hours.

Loosen all the nuts before you jack it up.
Dude, if that's how you did yours, then you are the man. I could hardly get to the bolts with the bike lifted, much less with it still on the ground. If I had done it with the bike on the ground, I would have had to use a shorter wrench, which would have lessened the leverage I had, making it even that much harder. You can't use a socket on most of the bolts because it won't fit. I had to use a 12" crescent wrench, which with the limited finger room, made it difficult to get a snug fit. This led to me nearly rounding out the bolts before they even broke. Add to this the fact that I had to hold two wrenches to keep the bolts from rotating made it all the more difficult. Maybe you had loose bolts, but mine were torqued to well over 100#. Either that or they had begun to corrode or seize as some bolts do (I have had my bike at the beach in salty air). The long bolt had a whitish corrosion on it, so maybe that was from the salt, I don't know. Then, when I start installing the new bones, they did not line up. Apparently they warped when they were welded, or just put together poorly. The looked very high quality, and I could tell no abnormalities in them, but once I mounted the bottom part to the frame (loosely at that), the top pieces were 2mm too close together, which as you can imagine, made fitting them on the linkage very very difficult. I honestly did not think I was going to get them on. It took a lot of banging and pulling and pushing to get everything fitted. Once the bones were fitted on the linkage, I had to hammer the long bolt in place. Mounting the shock back to the linkage was very simple. Anybody that installed these by themselves in an hour should consider themselves very lucky to have had such cooperative bolts. This is what mine started to look like trying to get them to break. Take a look at the threads on the nut. I just noticed the broken thread at the end. That, along with the rounded edges, should give you an idea of how much force was needed to get it to break.... literally. I guess the bolts had actually seized to the nuts.

G

·
Medic, Regardless of how long it took you bro, your ride looks awesome. That is one mean looking bike, even if it is black :joke:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One thing I need to add.... A lot of people have asked if this mod will affect cornering. It should be known that it will have some affect any time you lower a bike. I took it for a spin along a curvy stretch of road that I have begun scraping pegs on occasionally. Well, it really scrapes on that road now. I took peg and seat height measurements before installing the bones. They were measured with the bike perfectly level. I haven't re-measured, because I was pressed for time, but when I do, I'll post the results.

All this being said, if you are a person that really loves carving canyons or riding hard in the twisties, and you find yourself scraping your pegs regularly, you should really think hard about whether or not you want to do this mod. If you scrape regularly, you are going to have to slow down and change the way you ride your favorite routes because you're gonna scrape even sooner, and possibly hit the hard parts if you try to keep your speed like you did at stock height. Not saying this isn't a good mod, just trying to give you information to make an informed decision. If you like looks more than performance, then this mod is for you. If you are a "function over form" person, then maybe this isn't the mod for you. I may just end up buying the air ride after all to have the best of both worlds. I just wonder if I will be able to pull those bolts loose as tight as they are fitted.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Doctor.... upssss! Medic, that is one awesome bike. Looks just like a custom bike. And the fact that is the Faster Black Bro, forget it, I have to call it the Black Lightning, powerful, fast and into the ground. Great job Bro. Now go and put some lotion on your hands. :D :D

·
Registered
343 Posts
SAAAAAWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEETT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Looks great :bigthumbsup: ................................. I'm gonna have to do that to mine soon :doorag:

·
Registered
703 Posts
Looks great :bigthumbsup: I am waiting for my lowering bones to arrive anyday now. I guess I will have to pre mix up some Captain Morgan and cokes before I try to start this mod. Thanks for the heads up

G

·
The hardest part is breaking the nuts loose. I used a box wrench and a mallet. It took all of it. Then you absolutely must have two jacks. One for the bike and one for the rear wheel. Just jack the rear wheel all the way into the fender to hook everything back up. To reattach the shock you have to be able to slowly lower the rear until you can attach it again. It is a royal PITA but the looks are WORTH it IMHO. It does make you scrape your pegs sooner. You just have to reaclimate yourself again.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts