M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just like the title says. I am lowering my bike with 2.75 bones and was wondering if I need to use a shorty kickstand or if the stocker will work. thanks for any info.

AROD

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
No you don't have to put on a shorter side stand. But it would be adviseable to have one. I had 2.75 bones on my 109 with a stock side stand and never had a problem. Just make sure you never park your bike when the pavement on the left side of your bike is higher than the right.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I am @3" down and no issues! just use good judgment when parking it. make sure the bike is leaning towards the stand side and not straight up.:bigthumbsup:

Juice109

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I say YES!!!

To avoid an unnecessary damage to your bike, in the event that you just happen to park it somewhere without realizing the incline, decline, slope, or layout of the ground you parked it on, it would be wise to get a short kickstand for you 9. Better to pay $150 for a kickstand as apposed to thousands of dollars in repairs if it were to fall over. JMHO.

Not to mention it makes the bike look cooler and more custom too. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I am @3" down and no issues! just use good judgment when parking it. make sure the bike is leaning towards the stand side and not straight up.:bigthumbsup:

Juice109
i lowered my 9 2.25 with long k/stand what happen that day, i was cleaning the bike the front tyre was straight up my baby girl 5y old she is weighing about 30 pounds only sat on the right floorboard, suddenly the bike started to fall back to her side, i was so lucky taht I was in front of the bike, I grabbed the bar. so i recommend you park with front wheel to the L/H.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Will put this out there as I tend to do every now and then - lowered bike, stock kickstand, flat tire, - you are holding your bike till someone stops to help you - nough said :doh:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will put this out there as I tend to do every now and then - lowered bike, stock kickstand, flat tire, - you are holding your bike till someone stops to help you - nough said :doh:
Good point. never thought of that. I think I will go with a shorty. I like the looks of the custom chrome one anyway.

Thanks everyone for the info.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Man, $179.00 for a shorty from DLP? ouch!! That is a little more than I expected. Seems like a lot for something so small:dontknow:

·
Registered
215 Posts
3" drop here, thanks for the info, don't want to be holding my bike up on flat. that would suck 1st having a flat and then not being able to stand the bike up.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,086 Posts
I used the standard length kick stand even when I had my air ride on and would slam it. That's down about 4", maybe a little more. Just watch how you park it and turn the bars to the left.

With the air ride, the bike wouldn't stand up if the bars were turned very much to the right. It was OK with them straight, but barely.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
That is a great point that I never even thought of.

I park my bike with the air ride slammed, so even turned all the way left, the bike is rather easy to push to the right.

If I ever come out to find a flat, I am also going to find it laying on it's right side.

Shorty stand in my future.

Or maybe a mod to the stock stand.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I lowered mine 2.75. Got off the bike with the bars turned all the way to the right on level ground and it went over. I was able to catch the bar in time to let it rest on the right peg. No damage! But I would say go shorter. Why take the chance???

1 - 15 of 15 Posts