M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just lowered my 109 and debeavered her. It was easier than I thought. I bought a 3" set of bones, but it only lowered her 2 1/4", but that was enough for now. Just cant figure out if i want to mount the tag behind the wheel or off to the side of the shaft hub ?! Does anyone that has done this mod have any regrets or ideas on which they think looks the best, open to suggestions. Also went to a 250 rear and dont know how to update that on my profile.

·
Registered
159 Posts
revlo3's is 3" his tag on the side (Black one) , Blakester71's is lowered 2" plate on side (orange one), mine is lowered 2" plate on fender (silver one).

·
Registered
159 Posts
Jacob, did you notice our signatures? You have a pic of the back of our bikes, and I have a pic of the front, now we just have to get Darrell to post the middle section.......

·
Registered
214 Posts
South Carolina's Finest:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
791 Posts
Only thing bout the side mount is the lack of a light illuminating the plate at night. -any fixes for this out there?

:dontknow:Only 2.25" from 3" bones? I am going to lower mine and need a 2" drop. Was leaning toward the YanaShiki 2" bones but now I'm not sure. It seems like the amount of drop really varies for each bike. What gives?

q: What is your shock set to?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Only thing bout the side mount is the lack of a light illuminating the plate at night. -any fixes for this out there?

:dontknow:Only 2.25" from 3" bones? I am going to lower mine and need a 2" drop. Was leaning toward the YanaShiki 2" bones but now I'm not sure. It seems like the amount of drop really varies for each bike. What gives?

q: What is your shock set to?
Mojo, you hit the nail on the head, the drop depends on where your shock it set. We have to adjust Revlo3's to raise it up, he is hitting bottom with some big bumps.

as far as the side plate, get a white LED pod and mount it on the frame rail above the plate, both Blakester71 and Revlo3 have them there, can see the tag with no problem.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Mojo, you hit the nail on the head, the drop depends on where your shock it set. We have to adjust Revlo3's to raise it up, he is hitting bottom with some big bumps.
Ok, cool. So I guess the Q now is, do the 2" bones drop it 2" without having to set the shock to it's min. setting? or should I go with 2.25 bones.

as far as the side plate, get a white LED pod and mount it on the frame rail above the plate, both Blakester71 and Revlo3 have them there, can see the tag with no problem.
sweet. tnx for the info.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
215 Posts
I didn't check, but if i had to guess maybe 3. I still need to play with that, i haven't rode my wife on the bike yet. So i may need to make some adjustment when i ride 2 up.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Quick Q, while you guys are on the subject...
I'm assuming the use of lowering bones significantly reduces you ground/cornering clearance?
I've had a pair of 2" bones sitting in the garage for ages now - but never fitted them as I am very unsure of the repercussions.

·
Registered
791 Posts
From memory, some say no difference while others say lower equals more peg grindage.

I don't remember reading anyone removing them once installed tho, so that has to say something :D

If you don't want those that you have in storage, let me know :D:bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,878 Posts
The Yana Shiki bones will lower it more than 2". You might be able to get it at 2" with the shock set maximum stiffness. Mine in my sig pictures is with the shock set on 4, stock setting, and it's at least a 2.25" drop. If the bike is setting on the side stand and you get down eye level with the chrome fender strut, the strut is just about even with the top of the rim.

Quick Q, while you guys are on the subject...
I'm assuming the use of lowering bones significantly reduces you ground/cornering clearance?
I've had a pair of 2" bones sitting in the garage for ages now - but never fitted them as I am very unsure of the repercussions.
It does reduce clearance, but not as much as you would think. consider the 2" drop is at the rear axle. Look how far the axles are apart and look where the pegs are. The pegs are maybe 1/3 of the way back, so they drop about 1/3 the amount of your drop. A 2" drop lowers the pegs less than 3/4". You can make that up by removing the peg feelers (my aftermarket pegs don't have them), and/or by shimming the pegs so they tilt up a little.

What is hard to fix is the droop you get from a long exhaust since the drop on them is at least as much as you drop the bike. Even the Cobra Swepts will drag if you lower it much. My Speedster Longs have had the mount modified to lift them up and they don't drag, or at least not yet. :D

·
Registered
791 Posts
Zoom, are you running the 2" YS? The amount of drop you talk about (bout even with rim) is what I am after.

·
Registered
572 Posts
i got my side bracket from Custom Dynamics and it came with an white pod light to light up the plate. You have to mount the light right under the left chrome saddle bag housing plate. You wont even see the light unless you go looking for it and it shines directly on the plate. i inststalled it in 15 mins and you can see the plate at night with no problems.

·
Registered
300 Posts
make sure it is legal to have a side mount plate where you live! could be costly if you do it and have to pay a ticket just to take it off! stupid laws

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Zoom, are you running the 2" YS? The amount of drop you talk about (bout even with rim) is what I am after.
Yes he is running the YS 2". After seeing Zoom's bike, I also asked him which bones as I loved the stance. When we bought Bikergranny her bike, we immediately put them on and it is perfect. Here are some pics of different angles for you to see up close.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts