M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many people wonder how things like cornering clearance or peg height is affected when you lower the bike 2 1/2 inches. We all know that the rear drops 2 1/2 inches, but up until now were just making assumptions regarding things like peg height or seat height. Well, before I installed my bones, I took measurements in three places. I finally got around to taking the followup measurements today. Anyway, here's what I came up with. With the bike level, the measurements are as follows.

Stock Lowered Change

Tail= 25 1/2" 23" 2 1/2" lower (just as advertised)

Seat: 27 1/2" 26" 1 1/2" lower

Peg: 11" 10" 1" lower

I measured the pegs from the ground to the bottom outer edge and measured from both sides to assure I was truely level. It dropped the pegs more than I expected, and it does make the bike corner differently. As I have stated in my earlier posts, corners that I didn't scrape in before, I scraped in after. Corners that I scraped in before, I really scraped in after. I have since changed my riding style a bit so it's just as natural now as it was getting used to scraping at stock height. Riding is still as enjoyable as it was, but now the bike looks totally badass too.

·
Registered
775 Posts
is the lowering just for looks, or does it change the feel of the bike at all? ( comfort, etc.)
or is it basicly the same feel, just a little different look?

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
walker_mufc said:
is the lowering just for looks, or does it change the feel of the bike at all? ( comfort, etc.)
You lower the bike for looks. It does change the feel somewhat, making it a bit stiffer. I'm guessing this is because when lowered, the rear suspension is already partially compressed. I imagine you could change the preset to a lower tension though to make it feel more like stock. You will feel the larger bumps in the road a bit more when lowered though.

·
Registered
775 Posts
good to know; i'm probably gonna end up doing it, i just love the way it looks. takes that gap out over the tire. looks more like a heavy cruiser than a light a&&

·
Registered
592 Posts
I did mine like this.

But when I ride I put it like this.

That way I get the best of both worlds :bigthumbsup:
Big Joe

·
Registered
592 Posts
walker_mufc said:
is the lowering just for looks, or does it change the feel of the bike at all? ( comfort, etc.)
Changing Ride Height makes for a whole new feel to the bike.

Big Joe.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^^^^ $100 v/s $1000. Man if I could afford the big air kit, I would surely have it. For now, I gotta go with what I can afford. That is a sweet setup though. Do I remember Lamont mentioning something about your kit messing up, or asking you if you got it fixed?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Has anyone made a kit(progressive springs) to lower the front to match the rear end? We used to lower flat track bikes,but had to lower the front,and rear the same,or the handling would go away in the turns.

·
Registered
775 Posts
cbxer55 said:
What gap?
Mine is stock height. on #1 pre-load.
There is no gap!
Tire is up in the fender just fine.
You got a vivid imagination, PAL!

Robert Hill
Midwest City, OK.
the gap between the top of the rim and the bottom of the fender rail, PAL.
the same gap everyone lowers the bike to take out,PAL.
check your eyesight,PAL.
and, by the way, I'm not your PAL.
Billy Dale Green
Gulfport, Ms.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Big Joe, I am most impressed with the recent increase to your capabilities with your digital camera bro! Much improved photo skillz 8)

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cbxer55 said:
IF you want to lower your bike, by all means it is yours to ruin.
I ride mine, I am not a poser.

Said the same thing, Like to ride it, not be a poser.
Hey Robert. Don't assume that just because we chose to lower our bikes that we don't ride or aren't interested in riding them. I lowered my bike a month after I got it. Am I a poser? I don't think so. I've had my bike for 4 months tomorrow and have put over 5K miles on it. Trust me, I would have more on it than that if I didn't have other responsibilities at work and home. I commute to work every morning unless it's pouring down rain when I leave. I don't let a threat of rain stop me from riding. I've put several hundred accumulated miles on my bike in the rain. I absolutely love riding the twisty roads, and my pegs prove it. A lowered bike isn't just for posers. It's for riders that like to ride and also look good when cruising the boulevard. If you want to hit Deal's Gap type roads at double posted speeds, then buy a sport bike or a Roadstar Warrior or Harley Street Rod. Those bikes will all out corner our 109s, stock or lowered.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Medic1210 said:
Hey Robert. Don't assume that just because we chose to lower our bikes that we don't ride or aren't interested in riding them. I lowered my bike a month after I got it. Am I a poser? I don't think so. I've had my bike for 4 months tomorrow and have put over 5K miles on it. Trust me, I would have more on it than that if I didn't have other responsibilities at work and home. I commute to work every morning unless it's pouring down rain when I leave. I don't let a threat of rain stop me from riding. I've put several hundred accumulated miles on my bike in the rain. I absolutely love riding the twisty roads, and my pegs prove it. A lowered bike isn't just for posers. It's for riders that like to ride and also look good when cruising the boulevard. If you want to hit Deal's Gap type roads at double posted speeds, then buy a sport bike or a Roadstar Warrior or Harley Street Rod. Those bikes will all out corner our 109s, stock or lowered.Â

Hey... where did you get a photo of my Pegs?? :D

·
Registered
775 Posts
hey, looking at those pegs reminded of something. a buddy of mine has lowered cruiser that he put sparkler scrapers on. he only lets them touch out of town ( he's cool that way; doesn't want to cause traffic problems) i followed him out through the country one night and took pics of the bright blue and green sparks flying off of his pegs in the curves. looked really incredible. i'll see if i can get pics from him and post them on here.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Big Joe said:
I did mine like this.

But when I ride I put it like this.

That way I get the best of both worlds :bigthumbsup:
Big Joe
Man! That is sick!... I gotta get that setup! Looks Nice Big Joe!
I am always riding through the twisties and cant afford to loose clearance as I am already scraping.... but this is the best of both worlds... I can have the bike slammed down when hoppin' around town and lift it up in the twisties!! :evil:

·
Registered
592 Posts
DaltonH said:
Big Joe, I am most impressed with the recent increase to your capabilities with your digital camera bro! Much improved photo skillz 8)
Why Thank You Dalton :D
To tell the truth though my wife has been taking all my pictures :dontknow:
She says I can't see or hear any more :D
Big Joe.

·
Registered
592 Posts
ppridgen1 said:
wow, you don't have to get a sh&*y attitude ,If ya don't wanna lower it get off the thread and don't post about it ,.....man! it's that simple, but instead you act all snotty to someone who wants to CUSTOMIZE his own bike! that is pretty lame! If you don't wanna lower yours no one will force you to, and on the same note if someone wants TO lower theirs don't give 'em guff.
Look up condescending in your dictionary
ppridgen1
Some people just don't get it Bro!
But it looks like he's having a good time stating his opinion and dishing out guff :D
I know I had a hard time trying to get to sleep last night same with you? :dontknow:
Big Joe.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
:pop: :pop: :pop:

Ummm, by the way, who sells the lowering bones? I thought is was the JSW guy, but he doesn't sell them nor does Hal. So who's the seller? I wanna join the poser club too. :a20: :duck:

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
walker_mufc said:
jason sales them. but i think you'll have to hurry; there's a rumour that he's almost on his last batch of them.
Umm, OK, maybe this is a stupid question, but who the :edit: is Jason? :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts