M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, my dealer told me that Suzuki is telling techs that the clutch adjustment should not be performed at the handgrip adjuster, but rather the lower adjuster behind the left cover. What is the point to this? I've been adjusting mine at the perch, and haven't run out of threads on the adjuster screw yet. Should I be making the adjustment below? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
You can do either but to fine tune the feel of the clutch it is fine to make adjustments from the perch. I set my rear clutch adjustment in the middle and made my fine adjustments from the perch and it works perfect.

·
Registered
461 Posts
You can do either but to fine tune the feel of the clutch it is fine to make adjustments from the perch. I set my rear clutch adjustment in the middle and made my fine adjustments from the perch and it works perfect.
:agree: The coarse adjustment is usually done near the push rod and the finer adjustment at the perch.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,078 Posts
That's pretty much the way I do mine, except I set the adjustment at the lever at about the mid point and then adjust it at the bottom to get me close on the lever. The fine adjustment is done at the lever.

·
Radio Active Member
27,696 Posts
I did mine per the service manual. Adjust the bottom as much as you can, so if you ever need to adjust it, there is plenty of adjustment on the lever.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I did mine per the service manual. Adjust the bottom as much as you can, so if you ever need to adjust it, there is plenty of adjustment on the lever.
:agree: Me too, just did this at the beginning of this riding season.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
In, when you turn it out it gets tighter at the cable. I personally would leave a thread or two at the perch showing. Then do the bottom adjustment. That way if it is not 100%, you can losen at the perch a bit and then tighten as time goes on. JMO

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
i am in the middle of trying to adjust it and i adjust and adjust and now i have no clutch engagement at all.....:verymad::verymad::verymad::verymad::verymad:

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
i am in the middle of trying to adjust it and i adjust and adjust and now i have no clutch engagement at all.....:verymad::verymad::verymad::verymad::verymad:
That means it is too tight. All free play should be checked at the lever. Adjust it back in. Leave a couple of threads showing at the perch. Then adjust the bottom to where the free play at the lever (before it gets tough to pull) is roughly 1/4". Then tighten down the bottom. You can then adjust at the perch to your liking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts