M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys who have installed the chin spoiler, how in the heck do you get the stock lower chin off? The blow-up in the shop manual shows two bolts that hod the chrome pieces on being installed from the inside. Do you have to remove the whole shroud to get this off?

I tried removing it several times before to do oil changes, and gave up. I'm plannning on installing the chin spoiler today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
To answer your question, pretty much YES. I have to take the side shrouds off the radiator and lift them up, then is comes off. There is a plastic pin at the end of the shrouds that holds then down so remove those shrouds first and the rest will then come off.

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
I did the same thing as the above post. I just finished fitting by chin spoiler. For me once you have it fitted, and painted I will install it to the side side radiator shrouds while its off the bike. I installed it as one piece. I just jacked the bike up and disconnected the radiator shroud where the two pieces come together above the radiator and just slid it around the front of the radiator. I got frustrated also trying to get the lower fairing off and just ended up removing the whole radiator shroud. It turned out to be much easier that way, even though you have to take the whole thing off.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I used a 2foot long Philips for the screws inside the chrome pieces on my 07. I didn't remove my radiator shrouds at all
Now that I have. Will check it out. Thanks.:bigthumbsup:

Edit: Tried it and it does not work for me. I could see it working on the left side bolt, but there is no way to get a straight shot at the right side bolt. And getting all of the locking tabs on the lower chrome pieces to come free of the shroud is a real PITA. Worked better taking it all apart. Besides it gave me a chance to clean up the radiator and all of the bits and pieces under the shroud.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Take the whole thing off or u will break the clips
Take the tank off and the upper and lower shroud off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I just took mine off yesterday PIA. It came off in one piece. then I took the bottom black section off of it, I just got done reading the manual. It says put bottom black section on then install shrouds one at a time and clip into rubber groments.I will lubricate the groments to make it pop together easy like head light cowel. I took my stuff off to get painted. Who knows when I will get my Chrome chin spoiler.:dontknow:
Dam Guy

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Ended up having to take off the whole shroud to get the damn lower piece off, what a PITA! And the new chin spoiler does not match up to the existing shroud at all, only in a few places, otherwise it sticks out a bit. What a royal pain getting those spacers in between the chin and the shroud!

On the right side, where the chin mates to the shroud, the aft end sticks out considerably, and do not see how it can be rectified. Maybe put some kind of metal piece on the chin that forces the plastic shroud to conform? The left side is not that bad and I can live with the little bit of offset present.

All-in-all, not something I want to do again any time soon, let me tell you.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Ended up having to take off the whole shroud to get the damn lower piece off, what a PITA! And the new chin spoiler does not match up to the existing shroud at all, only in a few places, otherwise it sticks out a bit. What a royal pain getting those spacers in between the chin and the shroud!

On the right side, where the chin mates to the shroud, the aft end sticks out considerably, and do not see how it can be rectified. Maybe put some kind of metal piece on the chin that forces the plastic shroud to conform? The left side is not that bad and I can live with the little bit of offset present.

All-in-all, not something I want to do again any time soon, let me tell you.
Yes it fit like sh$t I still don't like the way mine fit I'm thinking of having my brother just make it one piece he is a body man out out bob Moore in Edmond

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts