M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Topic says it....

When doing little left/right leans at low speed (5-15 MPH??) I feel a vibration (light, fast modulation, like rumble strips but not so hard) when leaning to the left.
Thought it was a tire thing, but my rubber looks just fine.

Only when leaning left, not right.

Anyone else ??
Any ideas ??

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Pr0wl3r-X said:
Topic says it....

When doing little left/right leans at low speed (5-15 MPH??) I feel a vibration (light, fast modulation, like rumble strips but not so hard) when leaning to the left.
Thought it was a tire thing, but my rubber looks just fine.

Only when leaning left, not right.

Anyone else ??
Any ideas ??
Looks are deceiving! Run your fingers over the center and left side of your tire. What you can't see you can usually feel. Once the cupping starts there is no stopping it. Jack the tire pressure to 40 psi and monitor it closely! This won't stop the cupping but will slow it and increase the tire life!

This tire has just over 7100 miles and started cupping at 1000 before I realized that the pressure was only 36 psi. I jacked the pressure to 40 psi and should be able to get approximately 10000 miles out of it!

Although the cupping is more pronounced on the left side of the tire, the right has cupping also. Wheather I turn left or right I get vibration!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I had a similar experience with my old Shadow.
Took quite a while to find the vibration which seemed to be coming from the front of the engine on left turn only and guess what?
It was the right bearing on the front wheel.
Tore it apart and found th bearing housinh had worn out.
Don't see how this could be on a new bike unless the bearing was pressed in crooked.
Might check this out by elevating front wheel of the ground and spinning it slowly with ear close on it or with a stethoscope.
Hope this helps.
Bradbike

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I would have to say its the tire myself.

I have the same vibration that you have and I know my tire is starting to cup. I notice it most when I have just got done with a long highway run, when the tire is up to full temp.

I figure I'll just put up with the rest of the riding season then get new tires in the spring (the rear should be shot by then :evil: )

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I have now driven on my low pressure front tire and it is cupped a little.
Is it better to leave it alone now? or fill it up further?
will filling it to 40psi hurt traction at all (in relation to already being cupped)

Sledzep

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
sledzep01 said:
I have now driven on my low pressure front tire and it is cupped a little.
Is it better to leave it alone now? or fill it up further?
will filling it to 40psi hurt traction at all (in relation to already being cupped)

Sledzep
The higher pressure will extend the tire life and reduce the rate of cupping. If you check the fine print stamped on your tire you'll find that the tire manufacturer recommends 40 psi where as your owners manual recommends 36 psi. I doubt wheather the higher pressure will measurably diminish your handling!

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
WINGYS109 said:
Plain out and simple...........These Dunlop tires suck!!!!!!!!
They surely are not the best. I think that is very evident when you purchase new ones. They are usually at the bottom of the price list compared to Avon's, Metz etc. Bottom line is "you get what you pay for" :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
703 Posts
bob109 said:
They surely are not the best. I think that is very evident when you purchase new ones. They are usually at the bottom of the price list compared to Avon's, Metz etc. Bottom line is "you get what you pay for" :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
I totally agree there! I just purchased some metzlers and I can hardly wait to put them on.

·
Registered
696 Posts
bob109 said:
i am WILLING to pay for a much better tire... is there a concensus...which is better the Avon or the Metz??? (seems like cost is about the same within a few $$$).... i would like good wear... but I would REALLY like the BEST STICK... i get caught in some pretty heavy cross winds here in the Vegas Desert.... and the back end (with the Dunnies ...1900 miles) doesn't like to stay put... gotta whoa way down sometimes.... any advise is very welcome...mjm

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
aceventura said:
i am WILLING to pay for a much better tire... is there a concensus...which is better the Avon or the Metz??? (seems like cost is about the same within a few $$$).... i would like good wear... but I would REALLY like the BEST STICK... i get caught in some pretty heavy cross winds here in the Vegas Desert.... and the back end (with the Dunnies ...1900 miles) doesn't like to stay put... gotta whoa way down sometimes.... any advise is very welcome...mjm
Over the years I've run three tire brands, Dunlop, Metz and Avon and offer the following:
Dunlop....base line tire susceptible to cupping, decent mileage!
Metz......top line tire, super sticky and great handling, wear out quickly from soft rubber compound, great rain tire!
Avon......top line tire, hard rubber compound, handles like $hit in the rain, very high mileage compared to Dunnies and Metz's!
Others may have a difference experience and opinion of the above brands! This is my personal experience only!

·
Registered
696 Posts
thanx bob... i don't really care about the wet conditions.... don't get much here... my main concern is handling.... like i said in the cross winds....from what you said... looks like Metz..mjm

·
Registered
168 Posts
My M109R felt like it was walkin' with a serious limp on left turns .............it was a 1 1/2 " by 1/4 " piece of steel stuck through the rear tire jammed against the rim .....damned debris on the road grumble grumble
Dave

·
Registered
696 Posts
PretentiousBastage said:
it was a 1 1/2 " by 1/4 " piece of steel stuck through the rear tire jammed against the rim .....damned debris on the road grumble grumble
Dave
OUCH.... I hate it when that happens.... that really sucks... we got all kinds of stuff on the roads here in Vegas... from all the construction going on... gotta be heads up all the time....have you decided on which tire you are going to put back on the bike???...mjm

·
Registered
407 Posts
any cupping on the rears?  So i should inflate my front to 40 instead of the rec. 36 What about the rear.  I would like to wear these tires out before going for new ones. Plus are we talking warm pressure or cold pressure?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
chevyguy_72 said:
any cupping on the rears? So i should inflate my front to 40 instead of the rec. 36 What about the rear. I would like to wear these tires out before going for new ones. Plus are we talking warm pressure or cold pressure?
Always set the pressure with the tires cold! Front 40 psi....rear 42 psi :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
407 Posts
bob109 said:
Always set the pressure with the tires cold! Front 40 psi....rear 42 psi :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:
Thats what i usually do on the truck. Just wanted to double check. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Just remember the higher the pressure the smaller the contact patch will be...I'll stick with the recommended pressures thanks...they went to engineering school not me.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Trogdor said:
Just remember the higher the pressure the smaller the contact patch will be...I'll stick with the recommended pressures thanks...they went to engineering school not me.
my thoughts too...mjm

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Trogdor said:
You have "two" recommended tire pressures. One of 36 psi by Suzuki in the owner manual and a second of 40 psi actually embossed into the tire sidewall by Dunlop, the tire manufacture. Both are recommended!!!! IMHO the lower pressure recommended by Suzuki is for a softer ride and has little to do with tire performance. The difference in the contact patch would be almost negable! Additionally lower tire pressure usually results in increased tire temperatures due to overflexing of the sidewalls. If your going to err on the side of caution, higher pressure may be your best bet :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts