M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchase my 2017 M109r April on 2021 with 9300 miles. I noticed that I could not see any fluid in the reservoir so I just opted to get it flushed and filled since I live in Arizona.

Anyway, I just checked my reservoir and it’s low again 3k into it. Is this an issue I should be concerned about? My local shop guy said not to worry if I don’t see anything as it’s mainly used as an overflow and is not an issue if it’s below the low reading.

·
Registered
2009 / VZR1800
3,933 Posts
Purchase my 2017 M109r April on 2021 with 9300 miles. I noticed that I could not see any fluid in the reservoir so I just opted to get it flushed and filled since I live in Arizona.

Anyway, I just checked my reservoir and it’s low again 3k into it. Is this an issue I should be concerned about? My local shop guy said not to worry if I don’t see anything as it’s mainly used as an overflow and is not an issue if it’s below the low reading.
Yes it is used as an overflow, IMHO if it is empty, there is not enough coolant in your rad, or something is blocking the fluid to get there when coolant is hot, the third option is you are loosing fluid when heated through some hose clamps. Most probbable cause is they did not "burp" the rad properly and therefore there is not enough coolant... Do you have a service manual? If not here is one...:

Main service manual:

Supplemental manual 2010/11 and UP:

Owners manual:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,436 Posts
That reservoir is also open to the air, so you do get some evaporation. I have to add coolant to mine maybe once a year just to top it off, and it's nowhere near as hot here as it is in AZ.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
I lived/rode 10+ years in Arizona with the 9. I always kept my coolant level at the full mark. But if it has been recently changed, the dealership could of not bled all the air out of the system. I would recommend topping it off to the full mark on the reservoir once the bike has completely cooled. It make take several times as the fan kicks on and off sitting in traffic in AZ.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts