M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a frequent visitor but I did try a few searches and came up empty on my question.

When the low gas (amber) light starts flashing, how many miles are left before you're out of gas?

And I guess along with that same question, I noticed the gas display has 5 bars, but it's obviously not a representation of overall gas because it only begins to decrease when I start getting low, so at what point does it start to register and countdown? (or is this something wrong with mine?) I assumed it started counting down when you got within a gallon of gas left - but I wanted to get some opinions from more experienced riders.

It also did not come with a manual or I would have checked there too :-[

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,823 Posts
I guess that depends on how you ride. When it begins to flash, figure you have about 20 miles left. When it comes on solid, figure about 5. Those are conservative estimates that ought to keep you out of trouble.

·
Registered
372 Posts
:agree:, also mine doesnt start going down until I'm around 90-95 miles on the tank and then drops quickly from there. Light begins flashing between 130-140.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
You got a 5 gal. tank and 5 bars. 35 mi. maybe?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess that depends on how you ride. When it begins to flash, figure you have about 20 miles left. When it comes on solid, figure about 5. Those are conservative estimates that ought to keep you out of trouble.
Oh thats good to know - I've never seen it go solid. So I can save the "oh *****, I'm gonna run outta gas!!" worries until the light goes solid. lol

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,823 Posts
Correct. And I have gone over 7 on the solid bar (the time I ran out...)
When it goes solid is when you find gas NOW!

·
Registered
58 Posts
:agree: Was taking her down to the Big Rally In SD two summers ago and almost ran her out of gas near Rapid City. When that bar goes solid go get gas!!!!

the Beast is a Heavy MOFO when you have to push her up hill!!!:edit::doh:

But all in all you can get pretty good gas mileage if you don't twist the wrist to hard!!! But what's the fun in that!!

Scrubdude

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
I was really surprised how much mileage I got going on the flashing light. I've never actually had it go solid on me yet!

Regarding bars on the gas gauge... It's kinda top heavy, stays all full for a long time, then just literally starts dropping as you get low... Everyones does that :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Not the most accurate fuel gauge in the world, fill mine up and within 50 miles lost 2 bars, instead of it been a gradual drop it seems to just loose bars, come back the anolouge gauge !!!!

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I want to do like the episode of Seinfeld where Kramer and the car salesman take the Saab out and see how far they can go on fumes. If somebody wants to follow me with fuel can I will test the theory that way everyone with similar mods know what to expect. My light usually starts flashing at me around 120-130.

G

·
It is relative to the kind of gas mileage you get. In general, when the fuel display is at 4 bars your at 1/2 tank. Each bar after that drops faster (in fewer mi) I've gone 50 mi after the light starts flashing, riding easy, and it just started to sputter when I pulled into the station. I usually get better gas mileage than most, so don't count on getting that much. When the light comes on steady.......DON'T pass up the next staion!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Gas Light

Yeah, everyone sounds about right man... i did a little "testing" myself (without scaring myself to death)... The most I've gone once it starts flashing is 30 Miles. But yeah, once it goes solid, get gas... I read (somewhere) that this is less than a 1/2 gallon

·
Registered
367 Posts
wow thats good to know never new it went solid

·
Registered
214 Posts
wow thats good to know never new it went solid
Yeah, same here,

Never got to the solid light. When it started blinking I still went about 30 miles. when I filled up I had 4.3 or more, (cant remember) gallons to top off. Still had about a gallon of gas left to go. I was so worried I was gonna run out.

We were out in the boonies riding the back roads.

Think I'm gonna carry a siphon hose or something like that just in-case.

I wonder if a fifth of whiskey counts, you know just in-case. Maybe some good ole shin. :joke:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts