M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love my new '07 109 but today I was riding some back roads with some buddies and just happend to see the front left turn signal pod rotating upwards towards the sky and then a few more miles down the road the whole turn signal pod all but hanging by it's wires as it had come loose. I quickly pull over...since I was leading the group and my buds pull over behind me and start asking whats wrong...they thought maybe I had a flat tire or something. I tell them my front turn signal has just come loose and ask if one of them has any tape or such so I can get it back on till we get home. After they quit laughing about my Harley imitation bike with its parts falling off one of them helps me out with some duct tape he has in his saddle bag. Man...how embarrassing! :redfaced: The bad part is I only have about 550 miles on my 109...does this kind of cheap a$$ workmanship carry over to other stuff on the bike?? I take it in for it's 600 mile service first of next week...so hopefully they can fix all the loose turn signals and whatever else may be coming loose. Come on Suzuki get with the program and build them right! :cus:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Sounds like an isolated incident. I thought you were referring to the cheapness of them, to which I would have responded that stockers are cheap because they usually get replaced anyway.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
relax. its a coincidence. this bike is very sound. why would your buds laugh cuz your turn signal loosened? sell the bike. it seems like you might not be in love with it anyways. i havent had one single issue with my bike or mods.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Medic1210 said:
Sounds like an isolated incident. I thought you were referring to the cheapness of them, to which I would have responded that stockers are cheap because they usually get replaced anyway.
I hope it is isolated....not really referring to the blinkers being cheap (guess I worded the thread wrong..should have said how they were cheaply installed)....looks like they are just glued on...no nuts or anything I can see holding them on???

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ppridgen1 said:
welcome to the world of vibrating v-twins :joke:
Yeah I guess it does vibrate a little more than the inline 4's I'm use to. :eek: At least I can see out of the mirrors at any speed unlike the Harley Sportster guys. :p

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bad109 said:
relax. its a coincidence. this bike is very sound. why would your buds laugh cuz your turn signal loosened? sell the bike. it seems like you might not be in love with it anyways. i havent had one single issue with my bike or mods.
Both the guys I was riding with today ride V-Twin Kawasaki's so you know they were giving me grief about my 109...as all the press says how great the 109 is compared to other Jap bikes. They both have at least 10,000 miles or more on their new Kaw's with zero problems so they were really bustin' my chops about the 109 losing a blinker with only 500 miles on it. I'm not complaining about the motor or major componets on the 109 but it looks like the blinkers are just glued on...I couldn't find any nuts or bolts holding the things on the inside of the mounts?? Why would you do that on a premier bike like the 109? I just hate poor workmanship especially after you pay around $12,000 for a new bike...it should hold together at least until after several thousand miles of riding. I hope this is just an isolated incident.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
its held on by a single nut. how was the yours fastened on before it fell off?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bad109 said:
its held on by a single nut. how was the yours fastened on before it fell off?
I couldn't see any nut or threads where a nut would go on the end of the blinker pod on mine. Like I said it came all the way out and was just hanging by the wires by the time I got the bike stopped on the side of the road. It just had a round shaft with rubber around the base that fits up next to the mount. To me it looks like the rubber was just glued to the base?? When I take it to the dealer for the 600 mile service next week I will get the mechanic to show me how it is held on and make him put some loc-tight on all of the other signal pods just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I lost two bolts from the front fender, after just a few hundred miles...

and lost a screw from the light switch housing on the handlebars, too

i'd take time to go over bolts, clamps..etc  every now n then, just to check.

also, i have read that a few 109ers have had the coolant hose between the heads, had a loose  clamp and leaked, after checking mine, it was tight.

but all in all, once things are tight they tend to stay that way...at least thats been my experience...

tc

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
The turn signals are standard on all the Boulevard series of bikes. Suzuki could have made them like the Victory Hammer and I would have been much happier. But they are reusing parts here and there when they can to keep the cost of the bike down (a good thing for us).

·
Registered
148 Posts
Look at the other one and compare. Certainly an isolated incident.
:super:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got the turn signal fixed today when I took it in for the 600 mile service. The font signals are held on with a small bolt that runs in from the bottom and the rear signals are held on by a nut. I had them loc-tite the bolts up front and the the nut on the rear signals...so I hope this doesn't happen again. :D I also stood there and watched the mechanic change the oil in my 109....WOW...gotta be real careful and measure things out else you over fill and have oil running out of the air filter. He drained it and the oil filter is a little hard to get to with the plastic still on unless you use a strap type filter wrench...so I guess my filter cap with the socket connection is out for the 109 unless I remove all the radiator plastic. :( Oh well such is life. Gotta fill with about 3 qts then let it run for about 10 to 15 minutes then let it sit upright (not on side stand) for about 3 to 5 minutes then check the oil level on the stick...then fill to mark on stick. :bigthumbsup:

G

·
Just got home after watching my left front turn signal wiggle around and stare up at the stars. Couldn't tell how in the world it was supposed to stay attached to begin with.

Frustrating! I only have 420 miles on the 9er.

Thanks for the info here on how to attach it...if only I had a replacement bolt handy. Grrrr.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Waltert said:
Both the guys I was riding with today ride V-Twin Kawasaki's so you know they were giving me grief about my 109...as all the press says how great the 109 is compared to other Jap bikes. They both have at least 10,000 miles or more on their new Kaw's with zero problems so they were really bustin' my chops about the 109 losing a blinker with only 500 miles on it.
But at least one of them keeps duct tape in his saddlebag. :dontknow:

G

·
UPDATE! I got some info today from a buddy that works at Suzuki Corporate in Buzzard Holler, Kentucky. He said the guy who installs the turn signals is named Troy. His cell number is 555-1212. He works 3rd shift, and usually will answer his phone from 1:30 am til 3 am. Call him up and complain about the installation of the turn signals. :D

G

·
chadrob30 said:
UPDATE! I got some info today from a buddy that works at Suzuki Corporate in Buzzard Holler, Kentucky. He said the guy who installs the turn signals is named Troy. His cell number is 555-1212. He works 3rd shift, and usually will answer his phone from 1:30 am til 3 am. Call him up and complain about the installation of the turn signals. :D
Is he the same gorilla who overtorques the little screw under the throttle housing?

G

·
daleg18 said:
Is he the same gorilla who overtorques the little screw under the throttle housing?
As a matter of fact it is. I've already chewed his ass out after I stripped the head on the same bolt...I was installing my grips and found out the hard way, lol.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
the signals, pegs, mirrors, beaver tail, etc were all made cheap cause they know they'll get customized. personally i'm glad they are cheap.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I know 500 mi isn't many miles and you shouldn't have to check stuff like that BUT I was always told once you bring it home take out that tool kit and go around and check every bolt that you can get to and see that they are all snug..after all it was put together by human beings and as far as I know the last perfect human died some 2000+ yrs ago!

G

·
chadrob30 said:
As a matter of fact it is. I've already chewed his ass out after I stripped the head on the same bolt...I was installing my grips and found out the hard way, lol.
Lol, I had one more turn on mine before it was a gonner. I started hammering on the screwdriver hoping to maybe break the loctite loose (as if). Luckily my brother came by about that time and held the handlebar steady while I prayed and strained at the screw one last time. I think praying helped.

phaed said:
the signals, pegs, mirrors, beaver tail, etc were all made cheap cause they know they'll get customized. personally i'm glad they are cheap.
Cheap is okay I suppose, I just need them to stay installed...especially at 80mph.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts