M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After Katrina my mindset changed about life in general, so one of the big changes I made was to buy me a silver M109r even though I never ridden before. Life is great. :doorag:

·
Registered
814 Posts
Uh... Dude... Are you my twin?

I live in Slidell. I've never ridden a bike before until March 13th when I bought my SILVER 9'er.

What else is a man suppsed to do when all he comes home to at night is a Damned FEMA trailer and a house that "will be finished by the end of the week, Mr Daniel." They've been telling me that for a month and a half now.

Where you at?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm actually in Destrehan, sorry about your pad. We had major ext. damage no water. I'm actually a Painting/drywall contractor so at least they're calling you "Mr. Daniel ", not like my roofers after I complaint about the workmanship, they left me (Gang graffiti) warnings sprayed on plywood on my backyard.

G

·
I can't even imagine how an event such as that could radically alter the way you live after it. Two summers ago we through three hurricanes and suffered damage from the first, Francis. Thankfully the worst of it was a tree fell through the roof and came into the house. My entire family was hiding in a hallway only feet from where it came through. When all is said and done, that's all that mattered is that my family was okay. Good luck to both of you. Hopefully no storms make landfall near where anyone of us live this year.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I was deployed to Gitmo, Cuba in 94-95 when Hurrican Gordon hit the island... nothing quite like the experience of weathering a cat 3(?) hurricane in a canvans tent to make life seem special afterwards... luckily we were close to the bases gymnasium.. we were pulling equipment out of gitmo harbor for about a month... freakin mess.. I don't wanna think about what a Cat 5 hurricane is like from any perspective.

Very glad both of you guys made it thru that one ok!

So :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :beer3: :beer3:

·
Registered
814 Posts
Yeah. Hurricane's can change a person's outlook on life tremendously if it directly affects them. I had a horrible year last year and vowed to make some strides in changing my life and basically start over.

In May last year, I lost my 24 yr old wife to Leukemia, then on August 29th, I lost everything else in my life to Katrina. Not just my possessions, but everything in my life. All of my family lived in Chalmette, LA which was harder hit than where I am in Slidell, LA. They're now living in Nashville, TN.Â

Anyway. Life is what you make of it and I've decided to make mine a good one and enjoy every moment I can. I love this bike and use it as a means of "getting away" from everything when it gets to be too much.

By the way. I was one of the stupid ones that stayed and didn't evacuate. I'm lucky to be here typing this today. Check this out.

Pictures from during Katrina: http://members14.clubphoto.com/chris592410/3635813/guest.phtml

Pictures form a week later: http://members14.clubphoto.com/chris592410/3660183/guest.phtml

Pictures of the damage where I work, 3 miles from my home: http://members14.clubphoto.com/chris592410/3696784/guest.phtml

·
Registered
326 Posts
We lived in Kiln, MS (Exit 13 off Rt10) for 2 years and loved that area. We moved out in Feb of '05 right before Katrina and it still gives me shivers to think about the mess we would have gone through had we not moved when we did.

·
Registered
814 Posts
EAGLEFAN67 said:
Wow...it's a wonder how anyone could deal that devistation.
If you think my pictures are bad, you should have seen my Mom's place. She had water to the ceiling and an oil holding tank ruptured at a refinery about mile from her house, so everything was covered in oil. She's just bulldozing everything and will wait to see what the city decides to do with the area.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
WOW, I'm just sitting here kind of in disbelief of those pics. That is terrible! I'm thankful for what I have and for where I live!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Good News guys... I got the call this afternoon that my house is FINALLY done!!!! I got on the horn with uhaul and was able to rent a uhaul to go get my furniture that's been sitting at the furniture warehouse for a month now. It's 1/4 to 10pm here and I just got finished unloading everything into the house. Looks like I'll be unpacking and putting furniture together all weekend, but that's a good thing. I'm just glad to finally be back in my house after 10 months of this crap.

Thank you all for the well wishes. Forums with good people like you all actually helped keep me sane through all this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts