M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Bought my 109 about 3 months ago and after riding it in the rain for the first time recently, I have noticed a loud squeak when cutting on the engine cutoff switch. When I flip the switch, there is some engine movements which occur in two stages like something in the engine housing is engaging but it squeaks the whole time this is happening. It didn't happen before I rode in the rain but now it's permanent.

I'm a computer guy so if my engine talk sounds 4th grade it's because that's about how much I know about engines.

Anyway, what the hell is making the noise and is there anyway to lubricate those parts to stop the squeaking while they engage?

Thanks for the time,
Jubetcha

·
Registered
532 Posts
Probably what you are hearing is the SET valve in the exhaust cycling. When you turn on the ignition the SET valve cycles to make sure it can move freely. Mine used to make a little squeeking noise too. But right now I have the SET disaabled so it doesn't.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
eire1965 said:
Probably what you are hearing is the SET valve in the exhaust cycling. When you turn on the ignition the SET valve cycles to make sure it can move freely. Mine used to make a little squeeking noise too. But right now I have the SET disaabled so it doesn't.
Sounds like it's not so easy to get to even if I wanted to lub it right?

·
Registered
532 Posts
If you look under the right side of the bike about in the middle of the frame you'll see a round black device with 2 cables running to it. If you look at the shaft that comes from that device, you'll see that it goes into the exhaust. You could try to lubricate the area where the shaft goes into the exhaust, but I think that is about it. I wouldn't go overboard with any kind of flammable lube though.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
first verify that that's it. put your ear down near the exhaust, forward of the collector (where both pipes join into 1) and hit the switch.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
eire1965 said:
:bigthumbsup:

Don't try to lube..it will burn.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have a little over 10,000 miles on my M and the SET valve squeak has disappeared :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
401 Posts
This is the culprit

1 - 11 of 11 Posts