M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, you 9'ers up in Edmonton . . . You might want to hold off on that purchase of those new after-market pipes you've been eyeing up. Your city council is ready to pass a new law to ban loud motorcycles. They are setting their tolerance levels at 92 decibels at idle and 96 in motion (a lawn mower can be 90 dbs at close range). The cops have already equipped themselves with the necessary noise measuring equipment and will deal out $250 fines to those in violation. This is no joke! Other cities (Vancouver and Winnipeg) are already considering doing the same. It's odd they would aim this law just at motorcycles.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Tell them to ban women drivers with cell phones then too.

I have LOUD pipes and was sitting a light. I juiced it just as a woman came up behind me on a cell phone. She would of hit me if I didn't jump the bike. she was all sorry, but for god's sake she couldn't hear me??????

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Hey, you 9'ers up in Edmonton . . . You might want to hold off on that purchase of those new after-market pipes you've been eyeing up. Your city council is ready to pass a new law to ban loud motorcycles. They are setting their tolerance levels at 92 decibels at idle and 96 in motion (a lawn mower can be 90 dbs at close range). The cops have already equipped themselves with the necessary noise measuring equipment and will deal out $250 fines to those in violation. This is no joke! Other cities (Vancouver and Winnipeg) are already considering doing the same. It's odd they would aim this law just at motorcycles.
Bylaw was passed ....

It is in an attempt to stop the guys with load pipes that run up and down " the strips " all night long ... downtown and other popular areas to ride have a high residential population that doesn't like being kept up all night.

There will be a big crack down and then things should calm down a bit ....

remember when there was a big push to ticked jacked up trucks that had their bumpers more than 16 inches ( or something close to that ) off the ground ? .... every day on the way to and from work I see a dozen trucks jacked up a few feet with bumpers three feet or more off the ground .... no tickets being issued .

·
Registered
595 Posts
Geeze I hope that :edit: doesn't spread down here in the U.S.
The govt already has their fingers in too many of our pies as it is!! :mad:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Tell them to ban women drivers with cell phones then too.

I have LOUD pipes and was sitting a light. I juiced it just as a woman came up behind me on a cell phone. She would of hit me if I didn't jump the bike. she was all sorry, but for god's sake she couldn't hear me??????
OK , however you would have to ban some of the " foreigners " that just got their license a few weeks ago and already are reverting to how they drove back in their country ..... and then the Asian population that can't see over the dash and then ........

I think they need a general crack down , not just targeting one group ... load pipes do save lives however eliminating the idiots that drive in the first place would solve allot more problems ...
Wouldn't need loud pipes if people knew how to shoulder check , new how to drive safely , knew that when they are driving they shouldn't be eating , drinking , talking on their cell phones and with women in particular finishing their makeup on the drive to work.

I like loud pipes , I like them on my cars and my bike however I don't like them outside my window at 3am while some punk is making out with his girlfriend before he drops her off at her place or when I am trying to get my baby girl to sleep .... want to see pissed off enough to shoot someone ? well wake my teething daughter up with loud pipes right after I spent an hour or more trying to get her to sleep ....

There should be a time limit to the bylaw like other noise bylaws ....

after 10pm you better not be making any noise .... at noon you can do almost anything except straight pipes , there must be some sort of muffling in place....

I hear a bike go ripping by my place on a Sat. while I am cutting the lawn and I think to myself " I want to go for a ride " at 10pm I am thinking " do I grab the AR , the 12 gage or should I go with something bigger?"

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
It's already a law in CA: 80dcb max. for a street bike. It's just not enforced much....yet

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Do you have a helmet law just a thought.

plus if you just gut the stockers they dont crack off untill you get on it.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
How about people just being respectful of others...

Two days ago I had to go to the Post office. Just as I pulled off the road I saw a little girl jump and her Dad/grandfather bend down to grab her. I immediately stopped and shut the bike off until he got far enough away then proceeded to the PO.

Sometimes it's about mentality and courtesy. Which cannot be legislated but taught.:-\

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can have Guns in the Canada?
Yeah, we can . . . but even our hunting rifles have to be registered. And helmets are mandatory country-wide. Seat belts, smoking . . . hey, don't get me going!

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Yeah, we can . . . but even our hunting rifles have to be registered. And helmets are mandatory country-wide. Seat belts, smoking . . . hey, don't get me going!
How's your black market for unregistered weapons?

·
Registered
4,743 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
How about people just being respectful of others...

Sometimes it's about mentality and courtesy. Which cannot be legislated but taught.:-\
Now you are just asking way too much ...

:joke:

These days if someone is courtious they are up to something or are trying to scam you ... nobody thinks about others anymore ....

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Now you are just asking way too much ...

:joke:

These days if someone is courtious they are up to something or are trying to scam you ... nobody thinks about others anymore ....
You sure are a nice guy. How about sending me $20.:D8)
Oh wait... that's been done before.:eek::joke:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
How's your black market for unregistered weapons?
not that good ..... still allot of grandpa's guns that were given away to the kids that are not registered however it is hard to get much of anything that is not registered or not traceable...

I don't mind registering them , I just wish we could carry them ...

but that would require some of that common sense stuff that people don't have these days.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
You sure are a nice guy. How about sending me $20.:D8)
Oh wait... that's been done before.:eek::joke:
You have been around long enough that I might just send you some $$$ if you need it however .........

Oh , and I am anything but a nice guy ... don't be spreading nasty rumors that I am nice ...

:evil:

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Whisky Tango Foxtrot

I hope St. Louis doesn't try this! It's all I have to warn the fools driving around here.

If you are ever in St. Louis watch out for the 10 - 20 year old cars with Illinois temp tags driving 70+ on the spare donut tire. Once you see it you will notice it almost every day!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They did some sample testing on 150 motorcycles to test their equipment. 100% of those with stock pipes passed while 17% of those with after-markets failed. I would have thought the numbers for the latter would have been higher.

·
Radio Active Member
27,666 Posts
A lot of small towns are adopting noise laws for bikes. That is why the New Cobra pipe coming out has been delayed. But the quieter you make them the more restictive they are = less gains on power. So they just have to find the right balance.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts