M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my thunder intakes on since jan everything went good during instalation but now I have oil comming out of the plastice piece which attatches to the intake and dripping down the side of the intake and is making some desent size puddles after sitting for a few hours, The oil is only coming out the left side. Do I have major issues ?????

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I have had my thunder intakes on since jan everything went good during instalation but now I have oil comming out of the plastice piece which attatches to the intake and dripping down the side of the intake and is making some desent size puddles after sitting for a few hours, The oil is only coming out the left side. Do I have major issues ?????
Q: Why do I have oil coming out of my LEFT airbox?
A: The most common reason for this is, overfilling the oil. Some bikes, even when new, or if dealer changes oil, have this issue. Simply drain some oil, and refer to the 15-3 method of checking oil. If the problem does not fix itself, then you can make a "Oil catch can". This is an example for a Honda, but it will give you an idea of what you need to do. http://www.pbase.com/rsrock/oil_catch_can

Direct quote from: Frequently asked questions.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oil

Thanks for the link I feel much better I will double check it first thing in the morning

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,146 Posts
Thanks for the link I feel much better I will double check it first thing in the morning
Try checking it cold. Before you move the bike or start it, just remove the dipstick and see what it shows. That's the only way I check mine after doing the initial fill. It should show the same as it does by doing the 15/3 check. Just remember not to do anything with the bike before you remove the dipstick. And don't remove it and then reinsert it, just take it out and read it.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
A collection of theories put together comes to this conclusion:

From your pictures, you have a rather high flow exhaust and intake.

In certain situations, your motor and exhaust would be wanting more air than your intakes are allowing to enter.

This is not a problem in and of itself, but this creates negative pressure, or a vacuum, in your air box.

Again, that is not a problem, but your air box has a line that runs to your crank case breather port.

The collection of theories is that the vacuum draws oil from the crank case, thus causing puking.

In my personal observations, I had no oil puking problem with the stock intakes and pipes. I changed those up in several configurations and developed a puking problem. I say this to point out that no more oil was added and no oil change was done after the mods and before the puking development. Therefore, for me, I do not think it was an oil level problem.

My fix was to go to Pep Boy and buy a Spectra small breather filter. I did need to bore out the rubber attachment point on the filter to fit the breather port on the crankcase, but it fit in there just fine and actually looks good. This also let me eliminate the breather line and I plugged the hole for the line in the air box.

I have 0 miles since the fix, but I expect it to fix my problem but only time will tell.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
square rounder, i have done the exact same mod to cure my oil puke problem. its been about six months and all is well. this was one of the easiest mods to do and all for about $2.50!!
$2.50?

Mine cost me $7.99

1 - 8 of 8 Posts