M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night around 11PM I installed the ISO grips.
I used the glue provided
I followed the instructions (sand paper etc)
Today rthe grip still moves!!

The left grip is about twice as hard to twist as the throttle to give you an idea.
Has anyone else had this problem?
I am afraid to remove it and add Gorilla glue in case it sets up when I take it off (on the inside of the grip) and then I cant use the grip again...
When I put the glue on it was more towards the end of the bar... but still most of the way up also.
I also twisted the grip back and forth when pushing it on to be sure the parts of the inside of the grip that were supposed to run into the glue did.

Sledzep

No matter what happens, any repair will have to wait till after the Hendersonville NC BBQ. I travel this week till Thurs eve... then Friday AM Jazzman and I head up to NC

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Also, I tested it and the bike does not go any daster if you twist both grips.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I don't know about waiting to fix this. If that grip comes off in your hand while you're riding... :yikes:
If it were me... I'd chance pulling it off, letting the glue that's already on the bar harden, then clean it off of the bar and trying to re-glue it with Gorilla Glue. Try the fit of the grip before re-glueing it to see if it will slide back on the bar. If it will, there is space for the new glue to set up.

I'd hate to see you have to replace major parts - on the bike or on YOU - because that grip came off :duck:

Also, I tested it and the bike does not go any faster if you twist both grips.

LOL! :D

·
Registered
317 Posts
try wrapping a layer of electrical tape around the left handle bar and get some real hand grip glue not the crazy glue that comes with it

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm confused.  The right grip is the throttle.  It's supposed to move.  The left grip moves twice as hard as the throttle?

Help me out here.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nester said:
I'm confused. The right grip is the throttle. It's supposed to move. The left grip moves twice as hard as the throttle?

Help me out here.
It is not solid, it can be rotated on the bars....

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Loose ISO grip after install // UPDATE

Upon further time to dry, and further testing...

The outer metal/plastic part of the grip is actually rotating on the inner rubber part which IS glued to the bar.....

I am not sure what I can do not besides get a new grip. I fear removal will harm it so that it cannot be installed again.
It is a little scary at times when it moves under your hand.

Sledzep

·
Registered
974 Posts
Ive got the Iso grips also it is normal for the metal/chrome part to give a little and feely twisty while the rubber part is sold as a rock. Its never beena problem to me but if the rubber is moving definatley go get some gorrilla glue. First time i installed those grips i used the glue that came with them and it didnt hold for squat and my grip came loose.

Mike

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2006moy said:
Ive got the Iso grips also it is normal for the metal/chrome part to give a little and feely twisty while the rubber part is sold as a rock. Its never beena problem to me but if the rubber is moving definatley go get some gorrilla glue. First time i installed those grips i used the glue that came with them and it didnt hold for squat and my grip came loose.

Mike
Can you turn your grip a full 1/4 turn or more on the rubber?? I can. I may do some surgery through the end of the grip.....

Sledzep

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
take it off, clean off the old crap. go to a hobby shop and buy some medium, gap filling CA (cyanoacrylate) glue, and use that. it'll never move again.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
phaed said:
take it off, clean off the old crap. go to a hobby shop and buy some medium, gap filling CA (cyanoacrylate) glue, and use that. it'll never move again.
my rear is that removing it will ruin it.

Sled

·
Registered
974 Posts
Ok mine dont move 1/4 inch now but it did the first install... use a hairdryer to get the grip good and hot and twist the sheet out of it both ways it should loosen and give i did that to finish removing mine when it gave me hell. Of course if you got a nice sunny day in the heat that might work also :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
317 Posts
if they are that loose you should be able to twist them off. if you have an air line you can use a blow gun to get them off. either way you should not damage them. get them off, clean the old glue off, wrap a layer or two of electrical tape around the ends of the bar and use some real glue. they should not twist at all after they are on.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I had the same problem after I installed them with the glue in the kit, let it dry grip twisted right off. I took it off and used the Gorilla Glue.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
When I installed mine, I did not have to glue to the throttle grip as the sleeve was already glued inside...

However, after about 3 weeks of install the throttle one became extremely loose while riding it...after I got the bike home I was able to pull the actual grip off of their plastic insert...I cleaned it and used the gorilla glue and let set for about 3 hours...no more worries

on the left side grip...make sure that when you apply the super glue, you apply it on the inside leading edge of the grip...that way when you slide it up the bar you have a good distribution of the glue all the way up the bar...I did it this way and have had zero problems...

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
This is what i love about this site :D I have ordered the Grips and they should be here any time now.

People had problems and already found the cure :D Gorilla Glue :bigthumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts