M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just came from a beautifuf bike fest and found that all (about 10) that I could touch had loose headlight cowl.
Is this designed in or a defect?
Bradbike

·
Registered
817 Posts
BradBike said:
Just came from a beautifuf bike fest and found that all (about 10) that I could touch had loose headlight cowl.
Is this designed in or a defect?
Bradbike
I wondered about this too, so I took the headlight cowl apart last week to see.

The little bit of play in there is apparently by design. The cowl bolts attach through the side to a basket-like thing. There are also three pin-and-grommet points on the back that hold the alignment. But it is not rigidly mounted anywhere.

This is probably for ease of removal, as you have to take the cowl off to replace the headlight bulb.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've removed cowl several times and don't see any reason for it's loosness. Maybe it's loose to absorb some of the shock to protect the bulb. Boy I bet that bulb is pricey.
If you remove the cowl, the two plastic thingies come out bi pushing the center inward. Then find the centers that drops down inside and you can use them again.
To use them again, insert the larger thingie in tight then push the smaller pin in to flush.
Thede thingies cost $1.99 at dealer. Get a few 'cause you'll probably need them sometime to hold the bike together.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts