M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Loose gravel & down she goes

They just installed three intersection roundabouts and did a poor job cleaning up. Took her out for a ride in the neighborhood, I made it through the first two and the third had too much gravel. Broke front left turn signal, broke clutch lever, and twisted the gear shift lever. Oh yeah my shoulder hurts like hell with a nice deformity. Also no one on the construction site to vent-on :verymad: :verymad: :verymad:
Any advice on replacements parts, or is it time for mods? Also, do you guys have any tips on straightening the gear shift lever.
X-ray showed no fracture, but I will need further examination. Hope all goes well.

P.S. I have learned so much from you guys, keep the website strong.

G

·
Re: Loose gravel & down she goes

Sorry to hear about that...good luck getting up and running again... :bigthumbsup:

G

·

I am thankful too that you walked away. Sounds like although there was damage, it was minimal. I am removing my stock front turn signals this week. If you need them they are yours for the asking. Can't help you with the lever bro. Gravel is a bugger. It only takes a little to mess up a nice ride.

·
Registered
686 Posts

Bombero109 said:
They just installed three intersection roundabouts and did a poor job cleaning up. Took her out for a ride in the neighborhood, I made it through the first two and the third had too much gravel. Broke front left turn signal, broke clutch lever, and twisted the gear shift lever. Oh yeah my shoulder hurts like hell with a nice deformity. Also no one on the construction site to vent-on :verymad: :verymad: :verymad:
Any advice on replacements parts, or is it time for mods? Also, do you guys have any tips on straightening the gear shift lever.
X-ray showed no fracture, but I will need further examination. Hope all goes well.

P.S. I have learned so much from you guys, keep the website strong.
There are a lot here more knowledgeable than I, but OEM replacement parts are EXPENSIVE! If you aren't going to have your insurance cover it, I would go for aftermarket mods. If you are going to have the insurance pay, you might want to have them write you a check, then go for the aftermarket stuff anyway. Some of that stuff looks a lot nicer, and you may have some extra $$ in your pocket at the end of the day.

I was hit in the rear on my Suzuki Volusia a couple of years ago with about a 3 mph bump. Just the one blinker cost nearly $60 from Suzuki. Although it was all completely cosmetic damage (plastic fender, metal brace under fender, taillight lens, blinker, and labor) it cost her insurance about $1k to repair.

I would probably also look for aftermarket or a replacement shift lever. The metal they are made of probably won't straighten well. It will be quite weak if it doesn't break right off. You are better off replacing it.

·
Registered
898 Posts

that sux ... i would go back and get on their ass about the gravel ... i inspect road construction and you can file on them if you want to... good luck

khrome

·
Registered
4,579 Posts

I had the same damage when my bike shook itself off the side stand. Dealer replaced the clutch handle for free and I just bent my shift lever back out a bit. It's still in toward the bike some, but that just gives my foot more room on the peg, so it's all good. The only thing on my bike that isn't gonna be phased out with aftermarket is the rear fender strut that got scratched a bit.

·
Registered
254 Posts

Did the same a couple weeks ago. Progressive wrote me a check.
Installed new LED signals from JP cycles today as well as a few other pieces of candy. Bent gear sift back in place. It goes in Sat for it's tank repair and new look.
whole left side went Black and Blue

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger

.....a lot smarter too
Embrace the knowledge.
Keep a light grip on the right brake lever.
Rode til you grin.
-D

·
Registered
190 Posts

Man, glad you're okay! I know it sucks but could definately be worse. Depending on your insurance and deductible, if this happened to me, I'd go ahead and use it as the reason to put aftermarket turn signals on my bike since I'm planning on eventually doing it anyway. If you decide to keep factory signals you may want to post a "in search of" ad on the classified board on this site. I'm sure someone who puts aftermarket signals on their bike would be happy to offer the factory signals to you. You'll probably need to get a clutch handle from a dealer. Good luck and I hope you're able to ride soon!

·
Registered
593 Posts

Glad your safe bro. Soon as you feel well go bury your foot up the peeps resposible for the gravel.

·
Registered
441 Posts

hope you are OK . at the end everything will work it self out . you will fix your bike and also learn a lesson out of it . i did when it happen to me on my TLR 1000 cost me $1.100 out of pocket. :mad:

·
Registered
1,046 Posts

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Hope you get it back together soon and that you heal quickly!

·
Registered
363 Posts

i have stock signal lights there yours if you want them just pay the shipping let mw know

·
Registered
476 Posts

Glad your not hurt to bad, sorry about the accident, gravel and sand can be real pain in the a$$ on curves. Now at least you have a reason to mod it out.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts

Glad to hear it's fairly minor injuries you have. You will get the bike together and on your way again.
:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,637 Posts

ppridgen1 said:
Ya' ll gotta start looking at the original post dates on some of these ....this was in july :redfaced:
I know somebody else that has done this once or twice too (usually ones from April) ;) :p

1 - 20 of 25 Posts