M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
I want it!!!! Love the 280. But when will you get the 300 kit. I figure if your gonna go bIG go 300

:beer3: :beer3: :hot: :hot: :hot: :beer3: :beer3:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hollywood said:
NOW YOUR TALKING. I LIKE A PERSON WITH VISION!!!!
why??? just need a spacer on the shaft to move it over or something to move the driveshaft over and then need to move all the stuff like frame or around it...lol well i think you know what i mean i hope.....hehe.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Hey Lamont. I'm curious... Is the 280 tire not centered under the rear fender? Something about the "from-the-rear" shot of the bike looked off to me, so I drew some straight lines through the bike. See what I mean? Is this a mock-up or is this how the tire is gonna be mounted?

Here's a shot of my bike that I had taken a while back. I resized it so the tail lights were the same size to correct for a different focal length lens used. I originally did this so I could paste my image over the 280 tire to see how much difference there was. That's when I noticed the 280 tire almost perfectly lining up with my stock tire on the right side, but being wider on the left.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That picture is not giving you what is really looks like. it has a slight offset but not that much. :eek:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Lamonster said:
That picture is not giving you what is really looks like. it has a slight offset but not that much. :eek:
I guess the center line gives a better idea of the offset as it lines up with the start of the tread pattern on the right. Compare that to the tread pattern on the left and you see how much off-center it really is. I guess the reason it looks so "off" from the edge of the tire in comparison to the outer lines is because as the tire moves "out" on the left, it also moves "in" on the right, making the difference that much more apparent. The "true" offset should be viewed from the center line and compared to the tread pattern I guess.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
ppridgen1 said:
well if that's the case,medic, then the centerline of your bike is off to the other side,because looking at your pic the virtical grid lines you drew ,go right of the center on the dash bolt. whereas ,if you move lamonts just a little to the center line he'll be closer to center.......see what I mean????
I'm sure you can imagine that a line can be drawn from the center of the bike's rear that wouldn't line up with the front if the bike isn't perfectly straight. That would be the case with the pics. The line was drawn from the center of the tail light. Also, given that the front of the bike is farther away from the camera compared to the tail, it would take a lot more of an angle off center to throw the measurements in the rear any significant amount. I'm not sure what the actual offset is, but Lamont says there is an offset. If it's 1/2 inch (as I guesstimate based on the pic) then that is going to add up to 1 full inch more rubber to the left of center as opposed to the right. You see, if you move the left side 1/2 inch more to the left, then the right side also moves 1/2 inch to the left. This means that from the center line, there will be 1 full inch more tire on the left than the right. This is based on a 1/2 inch offset. Obviously more offset means more tire left of center and less means less.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Medic1210 said:
I'm not sure what the actual offset is, but Lamont says there is an offset. If it's 1/2 inch (as I guesstimate based on the pic) then that is going to add up to 1 full inch more rubber to the left of center as opposed to the right. Â
It's more like an 1/8". Something is screwy with your lines and those pictures Bro. Don't go by that. ::)

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Lamonster said:
It's more like an 1/8". Something is screwy with your lines and those pictures Bro. Don't go by that. ::)
That's cool... Do you have a better pic of the wheel mounted from the rear then?

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Medic1210 said:
That's cool... Do you have a better pic of the wheel mounted from the rear then?
Not at this time. Your going to have to trust me on this one. ::)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Love the wheel.They really give it a custom look.Just curius why you offset the wheel to the left instead of the right?The right side with the 300 on it has .375" clearance and the left side has .25" clearance after modifying the shaft tube.Cross section on the tire is 11".Are you offsetting the wheel with the spacer or the wheel?I am very interested in your wheel kit but need to know how much fabrication work will be needed to mount the 300 or 330 tire on this bike with the 10" or 10.5" wheel.I just like the pro street look.If this bike holds up like it has I will buy another one and build a road racer look out of it.I appreciate your response.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
joec said:
Love the wheel.They really give it a custom look.Just curius why you offset the wheel to the left instead of the right?The right side with the 300 on it has .375"Â clearance and the left side has .25" clearance after modifying the shaft tube.Cross section on the tire is 11".Are you offsetting the wheel with the spacer or the wheel?I am very interested in your wheel kit but need to know how much fabrication work will be needed to mount the 300 or 330 tire on this bike with the 10" or 10.5" wheel.I just like the pro street look.If this bike holds up like it has I will buy another one and build a road racer look out of it.I appreciate your response.
The wheel has an offset to the right, the offset is in the hub. I'm going to throw a 300 on the 10" wheel and see if it works, I'm guessing it should but we know that a 280 works for sure. :doorag:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Lamonster said:
Not at this time. Your going to have to trust me on this one. ::)
Oh I do. I have no reason not to believe you. Sorry if it came across that way.

G

·
Medic, I'm not so sure that you're not "right on" in your ascessment.

When you buy offset wheels for a 4-wheeled vehicle, at least you equal it out on either side. Although it may be detremental to the suspension.

But, I would think, if you were to offset a rear wheel, lets say to the left.....I would thing you would have to offset the front wheel the same distance.....to the right, to make the bike work. And, even at that, I'm not so sure that would work, as I would think its design would require both wheels to be aligned.

Sorry, but I've never been much for "trust me".

·
Registered
100 Posts
The measurements I gave on the 300 are on a stock wheel.I did not mic the thickness of the shaft tube to check the thickness or the internal clearance of the drive shaft.All I had to do to yield .25" clearance is grind the rough casting aprox. 2" in length.I did not grind into the actual structure so it did not weaken it .I then polished the ground area so as not to have any hairline cracks start.The 300 on a 10" wheel will require a small reshaping of the shaft tube to gain another .25" to .5" clearance.I was going to cut the tube in 1" and offset this area as much as needed or as internal clearance will allow.I hope I have helped with this information.Good luck

·
Registered
88 Posts
the offset wont hurt anything. Look at all the sport bikes running 240-300 kits they are all offset, my zx12 has a 240 and hasn't had any problems since installed 2 years ago.

·
Registered
100 Posts
the great thing about a seperate hub and wheel is you can try different offsets without having to cut a new wheel.If one offset does'nt feel right try another,so the offset thing is'nt really that big of a deal.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I like that license plate frame, where can that be purchased.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts