M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to sell my 9 and my V back in 2013 after a devastating stroke that left me with a left leg deficit - and therefore unable to shift either my 9 or manual Caddy. After 9 years, I’m in better health, but still with loss of left foot and ankle control. I sold my 2009 Silver (the fastest color) with only 10K miles and multiple upgrades including exhaust, tires, intakes, double horn harness (bought on this forum), and a power commander fuel unit. So sad…. Haven’t ridden since. However, now I’m looking at a purchasing a new 9 and installing a push button gear selection option. I’m hoping to ride again after so long. This is completely new territory and I’m just starting my research. Any suggestions on which system to use? I’m in Austin, TX. Thanks! Chris

·
Registered
413 Posts
Had to sell my 9 and my V back in 2013 after a devastating stroke that left me with a left leg deficit - and therefore unable to shift either my 9 or manual Caddy. After 9 years, I’m in better health, but still with loss of left foot and ankle control. I sold my 2009 Silver (the fastest color) with only 10K miles and multiple upgrades including exhaust, tires, intakes, double horn harness (bought on this forum), and a power commander fuel unit. So sad…. Haven’t ridden since. However, now I’m looking at a purchasing a new 9 and installing a push button gear selection option. I’m hoping to ride again after so long. This is completely new territory and I’m just starting my research. Any suggestions on which system to use? I’m in Austin, TX. Thanks! Chris
I haven't seen one in 15 years , but someone does make an electric solenoid shifter for bikes. They work like an air shifter would , but need no air supply.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Saw a nice 109 trike a while back. Not sure if its suitable for yourself in your situation but food for thought.
It was the first I've seen, and it looked great. running 345 tires on the rear!
I hope you're able to return to motorcycling safely and good luck with whatever you decide mate. All the very best.

·
Registered
560 Posts

I would never turn any body away from the M109r .” I love mine “
After 9 years though and a better left leg ,have you considered
A Yamaha FJR cutchless bike with paddle shifter ,their very fast ,
Good for 150,000 thousand miles virtually trouble free and still run strong .
Their not forward controls though .
Honda makes the DCT series on a lot of their bikes and their bullet
Proof also .i have ridden plenty of these bikes and it was only
Weird for about 2 hours not have a clutch .
I couldn’t imagine putting and it working well a auto shifter on the 9 !!!
IT is Just a thought !

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,636 Posts
I think Joe's idea with an electric solenoid to move the shifter would be a good option. The only bad thing about not being able to move the shifter with your foot is when you have to play with it a bit to get it to drop in gear. I suppose you could accomplish the same thing by moving the bike slightly while operating the solenoid controls. Glad you're looking at getting into riding again and I hope your health continues to improve.

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
6,004 Posts

I would never turn any body away from the M109r .” I love mine “
After 9 years though and a better left leg ,have you considered
A Yamaha FJR cutchless bike with paddle shifter ,their very fast ,
Good for 150,000 thousand miles virtually trouble free and still run strong .
Their not forward controls though .
Honda makes the DCT series on a lot of their bikes and their bullet
Proof also .i have ridden plenty of these bikes and it was only
Weird for about 2 hours not have a clutch .
I couldn’t imagine putting and it working well a auto shifter on the 9 !!!
IT is Just a thought !
CONGRATULATIONS! I hope you get back on 2 safely and comfortably.

I was also going to suggest an FJR1300 (clutchless) as well. I have an FJR in addition to my M109 and I love it.
I'd avoid Gen2, if possible, as there are electrical issues with some of them. Just my personal opinion, YMMV.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts