M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase a bike that I can use as a commuter. I am leaning towards an SV650. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I am looking to purchase a bike that I can use as a commuter. I am leaning towards an SV650. Any recommendations?
A c90 is a good commuter bike

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Get a PCV and have a gas saver map and a performance map loaded so the 9 can be both your hot rod and your commuter.

Sounds cheaper to me than 2 bikes.

If you already have a PCIII, you could just plug it into a computer and load a map that fits your intended riding that outing.

My intake/exhaust setup is close to yours. You may be able to take the maps I am making with my PCV with Autotune and manually create a fuel table to achieve the results. I have been curious about doing that anyway.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Describe your commute? How much is interstate? Do you wear a backpack or do you want to use saddlebags?

The SV650 feels like a mini-bike to me and compared to the 9 it is. My friend has one & I've ridden it a few times. It's a high-revving very nimble little bike. Obviously it's not a cruiser and you mentioned it first so I'll assume your ok with the riding/foot position of that bike. Personally I can't stand the riding foot position and if I had to ride 45min to 1hr on that bike on the interstate I wouldn't be a very happy camper. But everyone is different.

Most commuters are looking for good gas mileage and while sure you could use the M109R, why put a bunch of crappy miles on the 9 when you can get a cheap second bike and use it strictly for going point A to point B to work. I would do that as well myself.

If you want a cruiser style you can get a 2006-2008 M50 for under $5000.00 and you will get between 50-55 mpg with that. You could but saddlebags on it to carry your gear and have the cruiser ride position.

Let us know what you end up going with & why.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Kawasaki KLR650. Throw on a couple of bags and your set. The new one looks pretty nice. Super affordable too.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
I really like my GSXR 600 as my commuter bike. It is very quick/agile, gets about 50 mpg, handles great on the interstate, and there are lots of bag/luggage options for it.

Some may say it isn't that comfy, but I love it.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I've got a buddy that is selling an M50, perfect commuter bike!

·
Registered
303 Posts
I gots me a Honda spree I'll sell ya! Lol

Sorry my bad! :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
I got my 9 to replace my m50, wife rides it now, all I do it seems is commute, Nothing like having a blast during the commuting. I haven't noticed a lot of difference in the gas mileage. My 9 doesn't do any worse than my rainy day commuter the Ford Ranger.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You guys are to funny. Yeah the 109r is my baby so its like my show bike and I have found sv650s for the 2000 and under range. So I can put all the miles to work on it and enjoy the 9 for the real rides.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts