M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've had my eye on the M109R for several years now and came close to buying one back in 2015 but decided on a Honda Fury instead at that time. I test rode the 9 and really liked it but after alot of research, i decided against it due to issues i read about related to clutch/transmission.. i even read a few complaints about accidents where the bike jumped out of neutral to first and the rider hit another vehicle as a result.. When i called a few dealers at that time they pulled the "never heard about this type of issue before" diversion on me and with reliability in mind i veered away.. Well fast forward 6 years and i sold my Fury (customized with much love) in 2020 to try something different, bought and sold an adventure bike, and am now riding a 2003 Mean Streak 1500.
I'm no stranger to riding and have been on 2-wheels since '86 with dirtbikes, sportbikes and other cruisers but still have my eye on the M109R. My main goals are to have something newer again and more reliable and also be good for 2-up riding with my wife.
I test rode a 2015 C90 Boss yesterday with wifey and was pleasantly surprised at how much torque pull she had, felt so much faster than my Mean Streak, very surprised about that, and wifey was very comfortable on the back. The dealer seems to have overpriced it at 9k although it had only 1280 miles on it and saddle bags.
So i wanted to ask you gentlemen a few things if i may:
1. How is the M109R for 2-up.. is the stock rear seat adequate or does it have to be changed for comfort. I see a sissy bar can be found easily on Amazon for around $160 which is great.
2. Is that clutch/transmission issue cleared up with newer models? Is there a model year that i should look for as a start year to avoid this issue?
3. For those who have rode both the C90 and the M109R, which is the best overall package, do it all type of bike between the two?
4. Anything else i need to be aware of between these bikes?

Since im sans-garage for the moment i probably will keep the Meanie thru the winter until we move and then look to buy once i have a garage.. the thought of a new(er) bike in the elements pains me

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
118 Posts
In my research before buying my 109 (yesterday) I didn’t come across anyone talking about jumping from neutral to first and hitting a car and that sounds sort of unlikely for how transmissions work. They almost always pop out of gear not into gears when there are problems. As far as the other clutch/transmission issues you will find that most of those bikes are the old ones and people have spoke to the fact of what has been upgraded and changed throughout the years to improve things. Anything past 2013 should be just fine from what I have gathered from others. There are also many people with 06 and 07s that have never had any of the clutch/transmission issue. Each bike is different and each rider is different. If you want to chase HP and quarter mile times expect to have transmission issues. If you want to ride like a regular joe then I think you would be hard pressed to break any Suzuki. Just my two cents. Poke around on here some more. These bikes have been out a very long time virtually unchanged so many of your questions have probably been answered years ago amongst these threads

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a 2013 M109r and never had issues with the clutch or trans. Wife has never been on it though, so I cant tell you about the 2 up practicality. Try test riding one together. I think yall will love it.

Reactions: tknj99

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Trans issue can effect any year but only seems to effect a very small percentage of bikes.
I have owned 2006, 2007 & 2008 models with no issues at all......and I seriously doubt many out there beat on their bike any harder than I do.
I also know guys who had 2016 & 2017 models who did have 2nd gear issues with their bike.
So its really hit or miss, just get on it hard before purchasing if your buying used to make sure your not buying something that already has an existing issue.
I personally would not hesitate to buy any year M109R if the deal was right, the bike was in good shape and I checked it out myself before purchasing.

As for the seats on the M109R......they are good for a couple hours riding time tops. Anything more than that and they are terrible and leave you hurting.
If your going to be riding 2 up then Corbin rider and passenger saddles are the way to go. You can get both with integrated backrest that can be added or removed with ease.
Corbin is not cheap by any means, but its quality stuff and you can stay in the saddle all day long without discomfort.

BCS

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,651 Posts
When my wife rode with me a couple years before getting her own, sh couldn't go an hour on the stock rear seat. The rider seat wasn't too bad, but not more than a couple hours on it. I've had a couple sets of the Suzuki gel seats and have been happy with them. The rear seat is a huge improvement over stock. and the front is good for about twice as long. It's not a bad seat for the price.

No tranny problems for me either in the 14 years I've had the bike. Like a couple others have said, it's a rare problem but when someone has it you hear about it. Nobody posts they have a good tranny.

IMHO, right off the floor the C90 is a better touring bike than the M109, but it won't make you smile as much. And you can make the M into a decent touring bike with the right accessories.

Welcome tot he forum too.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! I'm definitely loving the style and power/fun level that will come with the M109R and also like the fact that a backrest is easily found for it and that the rear seat can be swapped out separately at lower cost than having to change a single rider/passenger seat found on most bikes.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I have not owned the C90, but I owned it's predecessor, the LC1500. In my opinion, they are 2 totally different bikes. I thought the 1500 was quite weak, but as you stated, it does have good tq. It is also a great bike for riding 2 up. As for the M109, I have owned an 06, 07, 08, and 2013. The changes in the transmission took place in the US starting in 2011. There were a few other changes such as going to a 5 spoke wheel instead of 6, and having the tack moved to the cowl. The clutch cable can definitely be an issue with any of the years, but general maintenance can help keep that from happening. I lubed my clutch cable at every oil change (3000-3500 miles), and never had an issue with any of my bikes. The shift fork was possibly bent on my 07 after about 3 years of ownership. The only way to tell is to test ride and once in 2nd gear, really get on it. If it doesn't try to pop out of gear, then you should be good. My 2013 was definately easier to shift and smoother than the previous years, but all of them were great. I logged in a total of about 60k miles on the 4 bikes combined.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very happy and excited to report that I pulled the trigger today on a brand new '22 Metallic Triton Blue M109R! I went to a one of the few dealers around that had one in stock (recently received) and since inventory is nearly non-existent all around, i decided that i didnt want to take my time or waste the opportunity and wait until i get back from vaca early April, so I jumped on it.. 16.5 OTD.. I had looked into some used options but i figured its worth buying new, knowing the history, taking as best care of the bike I can from new and not having to worry about whether the previous owner ran the strip every weekend or did smoky burnouts every chance they got lol...

Next up.. looking into a backrest for wifey and eventually a windscreen option and grips :)..
I plan to keep the pipes stock.. the last few bikes all had loud exhausts and honestly at close to 50, im kinda tired of the noise and droning especially with a full helmet.

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Very happy and excited to report that I pulled the trigger today on a brand new '22 Metallic Triton Blue M109R! I went to a one of the few dealers around that had one in stock (recently received) and since inventory is nearly non-existent all around, i decided that i didnt want to take my time or waste the opportunity and wait until i get back from vaca early April, so I jumped on it.. 16.5 OTD.. I had looked into some used options but i figured its worth buying new, knowing the history, taking as best care of the bike I can from new and not having to worry about whether the previous owner ran the strip every weekend or did smoky burnouts every chance they got lol...

Next up.. looking into a backrest for wifey and eventually a windscreen option and grips :)..
I plan to keep the pipes stock.. the last few bikes all had loud exhausts and honestly at close to 50, im kinda tired of the noise and droning especially with a full helmet.
Congrats! Time to get the break-in miles done!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks.. i think the break in will be the toughest time, trying to keep the rpm's on the low side.. i'll have to read up on what others recommend during that period as well as reading on the maintenance recommendations, oil weight/capacity, etc..

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,651 Posts
Awesome, and that's a great color combo! As far as break in, you'll find both extremes. Some break them in by the book, some ride it like they are going to run it from day one. I generally break them in close to by the book, I like to let the parts get to know each other a little bit first before stressing them too much.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey there I ride a 109 '14 its everything I wanted in a cruiser. Its quick for its weight. The only issues I had on it was the computer glitching when it's in 3rd gear cold. It would be in 3rd gear and the computer display would go through 3 4 5 but the bike runs fine. After a few Miles it goes away. I'd definitely get a m109 over a c90. I'm selling my 2014 LE m109r not sure if it's a good price or not but seems fair.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.