M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be traveling from Maine and be in NC (Deals Gap) Oct 23-26. Then I'm headed to Columbus, GA(Ft Benning) Oct 26-30, and then I'll be headed back to Maine.

So I'm asking those of you that are familiar with the route or area is there anything I should make sure and see while I'm there such as points of intrest, cycle shops, etc.

The only things i have on my agenda are to ride the Dragon, and visit the World of Wheels Museum (I think thats what its called), and a ride with my brother and is MC group near Columbus GA.

I look forward to your ideas, TIA.

Dale

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
If you are rolling thru VA. and NC ....I'd recommend  Blue Ridge Mountains and Skyline drive if you want to do a couple 2 hundred miles thru the Mountains....I posted some picks  in the pix area about 2 weeks ago....entitled Took a ride to the mountains....good stuff.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Definitely Skyline Drive in VA, Harper's Ferry/ Sheppardstown in W. VA, Lancaster, PA(amish town), Northern Harford County in MD(Susquehanna River).

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
montoya32 said:
Definitely Skyline Drive in VA, Harper's Ferry/ Sheppardstown in W. VA, Lancaster, PA(amish town), Northern Harford County in MD(Susquehanna River).
I'm assuming in looking for interesting routes you are ok with some side routes and not just taking the fastest route. If thats the case then I can help you from Deals Gap South through GA to Columbus.

Take NC 129 South from Deals Gap through Robbinsville , NC and past there until 129 becomes 129/19. Continue on 129/19 South until you hit 60 Spur. Take 60 Spur to Mineral Bluff, GA. Then pick up 60 E to Morgantown, GA. From Morgantown on for about 30 miles on GA 60 is a beautiful valley ride to a place called Suches. If you can hit Suches on a weekend you will find lots of bikers around midday at a place called TWO, which stands for Two Wheels Only. It's pretty famous in GA as far as the bikers go. They serve a good burger and other food there as well.

From Suches and TWO's, take 180 at the only intersection in Suches (there's a gas station there, non branded but all the bikers use it). 180 actually goes north initially, but I guess technically it's east. This will take you a little out of your way, but it's not that long of a ride and well worth it. This has some pretty tight curves on it. 180 will dead end into GA 19 (the same 19 from when you were on 129/19 in NC). Turn right onto 19 South. Your now on one of the most fabulous driving/riding roads for about 20 miles that you could ever want to be on. GA 19 is a highly improved road over Brasstown Bald Mtn (highest point in GA) with the Appalachian Trail crossing 19 at the peak. The road is one of the best riding surfaces you will find with wide lanes and generally 3 lanes with a passing lane while going up the mtn. There are hair pins that will take you down to 15mph and big sweepers that you can do at 80mph (or more) if your adventurous and not too concerned about speed limits. Take 19 down until you hit GA 400 which will turn into interstate and take you all the way into Atlanta, GA. FYI, 400 is a $0.50 toll in town. In Atlanta, merge from 400 onto I85 South and 85 will take you all the way down to the 185 bypass that will take you the last leg into Columbus, GA.

Hope this helps and you find this useful.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. Are there any motorcycle shops in the area worth checking out, for accesories, t-shirts?

Jazzman thanks for the detailed info :bigthumbsup:

Dale

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
From ME....
Just head west before you head south.
find interstate 81 on a map, head there, the stay off it, but close??
and find yourself some cool roads. The area near that highway is much prettier/nicer to ride than
any smaller roads that would be closer to the 95/85 route. There will be great roads and things to find
plus if you know you are only X miles east or west of a major interstate you know you can always go find the services you may need
without haveing to plan everything out exactly.

Also search for some cool websites that may offer great riding tips like these

http://www.info-map.com/cycle/

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/index.html

I'll be here in GA jealous!

Sledzep

·
Registered
664 Posts
Well, I'm on the south side of Atlanta... (South east) and I could tell ya how to navigate from Atlanta to Fort benning w/o ever touching a major highway..... Atlanta highways are kinda nuts... but if you interested I have pretty much explored most of the towns between fort benning and Atlanta.... If you interested in running around in that area let me know.... Or if ya just need a place to stop thats only a few miles off the interstate... if we know when your coming we always have homemade food ready :bigthumbsup: :)...

Let me know if your interested... by the time ya get past Atlanta you will probably just be on the "last leg push" part of your ride.... but if not where about 1.5 hours north of fort benning...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts