M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found a location on the pan where I could put a oil temp sensor?

I saw the gauge with the food thermometer that goes in the dip stick hole on the net and was

thinking of just drilling out my own dipstick and replacing it with my own turkey cooker

gauge. :D

I actually found one that is the perfect size. Haven't drilled out the dip stick yet. Once the metal

rod is out and the new hole size is drilled out to match the thermometer the digital gauge ( reads to 300+ degrees )

will drop in to the exact depth of the original stick. Just in case ( probably :bigthumbsup:) someone has

found a better way to do this I thought I would ask.

Thanks fellas,

Ray

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,941 Posts
There are no external oil lines on the bike to put an inline sensor in, so that's out. The only other external connection I know of is the oil pressure switch. You could maybe T off that with a sensor, but I don't know how accurate it would be. The switch is located on the front of the engine under the motor mount and behind the left side foot rest bracket.

Might be easier just to use the meat thermometer. :D

G

·
You could also adapt an electronic sensor to replace one of the oil drain plugs. That would be more acurate as well. Just make sure it doesn't stick out too far. you wouldn't want it to get clipped by a speed bump or the like.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sure someone out there has made a low profile sending unit. Your idea brings up other ideas.
I might be able to get able to get a machine shop to tap a hole somewhere out of the way. :doorag:

G

·
There are also oil filter adapters for oil cooler lines that could be used for this if there's enough room down there. It wouldn't be too hard to make one either. They're just a hunk of aluminum round stock cut about an inch thick with some holes drilled and tapped. Then add a nipple with the right threads for the filter. The hardest part would be the O ring seal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts