M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My bike has had a really erratic idle lately. Sometimes idles at 900-1000 other times it's over 1300 rpm. Lately it's been high a lot of the time. Also noticed more vibration than normal especially at lower (2500-3500) rpm in the middle gears. Wondering which direction I should start looking in. Thanks guys

Has a PCIII and custom map already. Nothing has changed since the map was installed and the map is still loaded in the PCIII

·
Registered
191 Posts
idle problem

Hello , I see from your picture that you have aftermarket pipes and different air filters to your bike. Because this bike is computer controlled any changes to air or exhaust , your bike needs different (map) adjustments so your bike runs with the air and exhaust set up that you changed. Have you done that?

G

·
I've noticed that if I don't let it cycle through the key-on power up before hitting the starter button it will idle fast. If I don't turn it off and restart propperly, and drive off, it will sometimes stall at the next stop and I have to restart anyway. This points to the systems that are cycled when the key is turned on.

There has also been some problems with the engine crankshaft position sensor picking up metal debris and causing various running anomallies. Try removing and cleaning it for starters.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks..I always let it cycle the fuel pump and such before starting the bike. The vibration almost feels like its not firing right so maybe the CPS is a good place to start. Again thanks

G

·
Another common thing to check is the ground strap from the battery to the frame for an electrical cause. Some people are having problems with the front motormounts causing vibration.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
Ducks was doing that too at the VA meet.. (the high idle)... Not sure what it is, Hink went over and said something to him but I didnt catch it... He should CHIME in.... :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
913 Posts
My bike did that a lot down in TN and in VA. Probably around 10 times. I dont know what it is, but it hasnt done it since I got home.

I just turned my bike off, turned my key off for about 5 secs, then turned my key back on, let it cycle fully, wait a sec or two, then fire it up. This normally fixed it for the time being.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Mine suffers that, with the JSD thingy in it. Pull the clutch in and it settles to normal.

·
Registered
508 Posts
!

My friends 9 had a bad vibration and when he checked it out, one of his spark plug boot was not pushed all the way in, so on low load it was problably firing ok, but misfiring on higher loads.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Changed the plugs while I had em out. Removed the JSD TRE and it's a new bike. Lots smoother. Maybe time for a GI Pro? Thanks Hink

G

·
The vibration may not be totally the TRE's fault. Most engines, V twins in particular, will run smoother at low to mid RPMs with less that optimal timing advance. The earlier ingnition can make the cumbustion cycles hit harder. And the 9 hit harder than most.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts