Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just depends on what you want to spend. Probably 2 most popular:

Go Cruise. I have this one and love it.
http://www.2wheelride.com/GoCruise_throttle control2.html

BrakeAway. Cost a little more, but plenty here using it and love it.
https://www.brakeawayproducts.com
Thanks Grumpy! the go Cruise looks pretty neat! gonna try that.

I must be getting old bro.. 600km ride this weekend and by the end of it the modular helmet was taking a toll on my neck and between the shoulder blades and I found myself rolling the bike with the clutch pulled downhill because the cramps in the wrist was killing me.

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
I have the Brake Away and love it. It is a very nice piece that matches the fit and finish of all the rest of the handlebar hardware. And functionally it can't be beat. Holds the throttle tight, and yet you blip the brake lever and it dis-engages. Yeah, costs near $200.00, but worth every penny of that price.

The only pic of it I have at this time. You can see it clearly enough to see it is a quality product. I'd recommend it to anyone who rides.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Thanks Grumpy! the go Cruise looks pretty neat! gonna try that.

I must be getting old bro.. 600km ride this weekend and by the end of it the modular helmet was taking a toll on my neck and between the shoulder blades and I found myself rolling the bike with the clutch pulled downhill because the cramps in the wrist was killing me.
No prob! I find it works great for holding the throttle long enough to relax your hand. Not as good as the one below, as it is a true throttle lock, but it does the trick.

I have the Brake Away and love it. It is a very nice piece that matches the fit and finish of all the rest of the handlebar hardware. And functionally it can't be beat. Holds the throttle tight, and yet you blip the brake lever and it dis-engages. Yeah, costs near $200.00, but worth every penny of that price.

The only pic of it I have at this time. You can see it clearly enough to see it is a quality product. I'd recommend it to anyone who rides.
Thanks for the write up and the pic! I may go with this in the future!

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have the kuryakin that you linked too. I am satisfied with it. It does what its supposed to do. Easy engagement and disengagement. Flick of the thumb either way. Its easy to adjust so it holds your throttle position but allows you to easily adjust it to maintain your speed while changing grades in the road. I will also use it at times even while shifting and running back roads. When my wrist gets fatigued but you cant ride one handed, I find its still very useful to use. Your hand is still in full control of the throttle but you don't have to use that extra muscle to fight against the throttle return spring. You just have to deliberately move the throttle in either direction. Once you get use to that its very nice. There are quite a few ways to benefit from having it. You'll find out when you start to use it regularly.

There is another company that makes a version of the Kuryakin model. Its not as nice looking. If you look closer at some of the ads the other company has a bolt head exposed on the strap that extends to the handlebar. Be sure to buy the one you linked too. Its the nicest looking one. Cant comment on the others functionality. Probably the same. I paid around $30. Have had it over a year and couldn't live without it, or something similar.

The Brake Away is the Cadillac of throttle locks. All the above but with the added beauty of it. And a better method of engagement and disengagement.

You have another option too. There are a few members that have wired in a real cruise control that actively maintains constant speed. Same system in your car. works identical to your cars cruise. Installation looks to be fairly intensive. I would love one but the amount of work to install it looks daunting to me.

Highly recommend getting any of them. Very useful any time you need to free up your right hand for any number of things not just fatigue.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Nothing beats this cruise control unit. I've driven for nearly an hour in light traffic, uphill and down, without touching the throttle once. And when you compare the cost of this to a simple throttle lock, this is a no-brainer.

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166597

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
I've been running the Brakeaway on both our bikes for several years now. Love them

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
As Bill and thefng stated , you either go with a throttle lock , or cruise control . Not saying that throttle locks are not any good . The wiring and instructions for the cruise may seem a tad involved , but other then some power and grounds . There is only 3 other wires that go into the bikes system . 1 to the brake circuit , 1 to the vss ( vehicle sped sensor ) and 1 more to the clutch engagement circuit . I will say this now that I have had a real cruise control on a bike . I don't want to have one without it .

·
Registered
460 Posts
I want one. I ride a lot on the highway. I would love to install that setup. Ill be looking at the link to those instruction hard. The moneys for isn't a factor at all. Kinda cheap for what I know it does having just a throttle lock.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a complete set of instructions and properly formatted and simple wiring instructions in .doc format that I can't attach here. If you PM me your email address, I'll send it to you.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just ordered the GoCruise2 on the weekend. Both of my brother-in-laws have the original version and are happy with it so I thought I'd try the newer version.
Yea I am going this way too, since I seldom drive on the highway, most of the time I am in the city where having a cruise or throttle lock would be uncalled.

But thanks all for your inputs, glad this post helped other fellow riders too!

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
The one-and-only reason I put a c.c. on my bike at all is to give my right hand a rest on long rides. I rarely ever use it to be honest, since most of my riding is close to home. I went for nine years without one. Only put it on recently, on a whim. When I'm on my next long ride, and my right hand starts to tingle, set the cruise and let my arm dangle for a few minutes. All's good. Otherwise, to me having a c.c. on a motorcycle is not really necessary.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I've had the breakaway on my bike for years, and love it. Hubby had some difficulty keeping his adjusted properly with his ISO grips, but it still worked - just took a little more patience to get it dialed in. ;)

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
The break away is a great device, had one and it served me on 3 bikes.
But now that I have the Rostra cruise control, it is a must for my next bike (either has it or I can put it on)

Just like 1R said, having a proper cruise is worth it. Not much more than the breakaway and about 4 hours or so to install thanks to Peregrine's detailed post.

Break Away is cheaper now at around 190 bucks, while the Rostra costs about 250.

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
I'm mechanically inclined. I hate wires and wiring, and especially schematics. It all looks like octopussy to me. So the Brake Away fits me better. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts