M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys im new to the site and was wondering if i can get some help with a bike im looking at purchasing. The bike is a white 07 109 with 28k and lots of aftermarket stuff, its going for 7,500. The owner is a MSF Rider coach and has taken very good care of the bike.
Now the thing that has me still on the fence bout the bike is the mileage. Ive only been riding for little over 2 years so im fairly new to the whole bike thing and from speaking to a couple of guys theyve told me that the mileage is a bit much and that the motor would have to be opened up soon. Ive also did some reading online and read that alot of the jap bikes go well pass 100k miles with minor motor work.
So i just wanted to know if 28k miles was a bit much for an 07 and would that be a fare price for a bike with that many miles.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Hey guys im new to the site and was wondering if i can get some help with a bike im looking at purchasing. The bike is a white 07 109 with 28k and lots of aftermarket stuff, its going for 7,500. The owner is a MSF Rider coach and has taken very good care of the bike.
Now the thing that has me still on the fence bout the bike is the mileage. Ive only been riding for little over 2 years so im fairly new to the whole bike thing and from speaking to a couple of guys theyve told me that the mileage is a bit much and that the motor would have to be opened up soon. Ive also did some reading online and read that alot of the jap bikes go well pass 100k miles with minor motor work.
So i just wanted to know if 28k miles was a bit much for an 07 and would that be a fare price for a bike with that many miles.
Well this is NADA used retail value. No mods and mileage wasn't asked.

Low Retail Average Retail Base Price $6,405 $8,425

And this is Kellys blue book, no mods or mileage asked.

Suggested Retail Value $9020

Kellys has this as average mileage for a given year,,,,,,,,

Street and Touring

Expected Accumulated Average Mileage

LOL, that didn't work, here is the link

http://www.kbb.com/motorcycle/mileage-and-condition/retail/2007/suzuki/vzr1800-m109r/175553

And here is mods, We have to add them up ourselves,

Additional Equipment Retail Values

http://www.kbb.com/motorcycle/additional-equipment/retail/2007/suzuki/vzr1800-m109r/175553

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what about the mileage? is 28k too many miles

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
what about the mileage? is 28k too many miles
Re read my post I added stuff LOL And if those are well maintained easy highway miles , I see nothing wrong with them! JMHO

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,091 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the mileage if the bike is in good condition. Make sure it shifts OK (they do clunk going into 2nd and you need to shift positively) and doesn't smoke, though I've yet to see one that used enough oil to see them smoke. Several on here have close to 50,000 miles on them now, or even more, with minor issues.

The valves should be adjusted at 14,000 miles but most wait until later. I've got almost 22,000 on mine and have not checked them yet. And honestly, the more miles it gets the better it runs and the better it shifts.

That price sounds reasonable too, especially with some nice mods on it.

:welcome: to the forum and good luck with the purchase.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here some of the mods...cobra swept exhaust, cobra FI2000 tuner, custom intake, custom lights, custom backrest, sport shield, 2" drop, 250 tire, gas tank bra, 12v plug and couple other things cant remember.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Way too many miles for my taste! Especially when there are always bikes coming up for sale on here with maybe 1/4 of that many miles and most of them already have the main mods everyone does.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
:welcome: to the forum.

I would be a little reluctant about the mileage, only because I would plan to do a lot of riding. But, like Zoom said, there are quite a few 9's with well over that amount. If you know the guy and know that he has taken good care of the bike, I guess that could make you feel a little more comfortable with the purchase.

Take a look at the for sale section. There are usually some good deals there, with mods, and lower mileage.

Good Luck with the hunt. You won't be disappointed once you find your 9.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Good decision bro

You won't be happier on any other bike, trust me. I've been riding for 35+ years and by far the 9 has been THE BEST bike I've EVER owned. :bigthumbsup: If you don't pull the trigger on that one there are alot of others to choose from out there.

·
Registered
48 Posts
:welcome:
If I was you I would look a little longer. I bought a 08 LE w/mods and 5k miles in Aug for $7k and last week I bought a 06 w/mods and 16k for $4k. There are bikes out here for sell at real good prices. Some ppl get this bike and dont realize the power of the BEAST and decide to sell it after one good scare!!!!! LOL. I love both of my bikes and I'm glad that I didnt jump on the first bike that I thought that looked good and was able to wait for two great deals.:clap2:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Way too many miles for my taste! Especially when there are always bikes coming up for sale on here with maybe 1/4 of that many miles and most of them already have the main mods everyone does.
Miles do not bother me if the bike were kept properly, but I'm 100% agree with the second statement. There are many nice bikes here for sale from members and some of the prices are unbeliavable. I'd try to find one here first. Good luck with your purchase and :welcome: to the forum.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
:welcome: Welcome to the forum. :welcome:

What kind of bikes have you been riding for the past 2 years? Although some have purchased a 9 as their very first bike, this is not really a bike for the inexperienced. It will slap you in a second.

All that being said, The mileage and the price for a rare 07 (fastest color) Beast is not bad. You will find bikes with less mileage and will probably find some with more. Bottom line is, you need to be happy with your decision.

Is the current owner on the forum?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'd shop cycletrader.com to see what's out there before you buy anything.

·
Registered
480 Posts
You can find a better deal then that. Down here in florida where we can ride year round the 9's on craiglist are cheaper and not near the miles on it.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
The miles will not hurt the bike, as much as how they are put on, and the maintenance that is done to it. I have an 06 with just over 27,000 miles. I never abuse the bike, and have every receipt from everything ever done to the bike. All things have been done by a responsible dealer. It also helps that I have an extended warrenty until 4/2012. Once the warrenty is up (if I still have it), I might do some maintenance my self, but until then, it will be only dealer maintained. That is what I would be looking for in a bike, car, etc.. If it doesn't have a good service record, you can bet it better have very low miles.
And, as a shamless punt, check me out in the for sale section:bigthumbsup:.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts