M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I don't want to beat a dead horse here so please let me know if I missed it somewhere.
I'm looking for some input from those of you have installed an after market exhaust system on your 109. I've talked to the dealer, or should I refer to them as the stealer, and have been told they have not heard a M109R that has been piped yet. I love the stock pipe look but am considering a new setup and would like to know what you think about the way bike sounds after the new pipes have been installed. I don't want the bike to be OBNOXIOUSLY loud but would love a louder deeper rumble than stock. Anyone have a sound clip or video of thier bike with aftermarket pipes on it? I have browsed through the video & picture section and haven't found many exhaust sound clips that aren't of CUSTOM work done by other riders and those who are modifying thier exhausts etc.....
Any info/help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
289 Posts
I'm in the market as well and will be pulling the trigger soon. Currently, there's not much out on the market. Cobra has a few pipes which you can find from our sponsor, DirectLine...
As for sound clips, there's a few out there; infact they put one of the Cobra's Drags on Direct Line. Once I get my pipes, I'll create a video clip of before and after. I have not found a good sound/video clip that allows you to here a load on the bike.
Here's a clip of my old VTX with some HKs 3" (Which I purchased from Direct Line).
http://www.fordf150.net/photos/showphoto.php/photo/19819/cat/500/ppuser/56449

·
Registered
476 Posts
CheriM109R, I just put on the Cobra Dragsters, they are loud and the pitch is really higher than I like, sorry no sound clip. They do look nice though and the quality is definetly better than what they were in years past. Don't know how they sound but the modified 2 into 1 pipes that JR and PPridgen came up with are probably one of the best looking and I am sure one of the most power producing set of pipes the M109R will ever see. There are pics of this pipe with polished or carbon fiber canisters. I am pretty sure I will eventually replace my Dragsters with one of these setups. Good luck with your search and let us all know what you find out. :read: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Since you don't necessarily want louder, but rather deeper, and since you really like the look of the stock pipes, why not try the stock pipe mod that many have done here? It consists of drilling 8 or so holes in the ends of the pipes and then taking a 1 1/4" hole saw down the middle of the inner pipes and drilling out the baffle walls. This opens them up and makes them sound much more throaty and deep. Very pleasant to the ear, yet not loud enough to make people that ride behind you hate you. This is a very easy mod, as well as much cheaper than new pipes. It also lets you keep the stock pipe look, which personally, I think Suzuki nailed.

Here's a link to the How-To thread where I made a video of me cutting out the inner walls. It will give you an idea of the sound. Unfortunately, I didn't make a video of me drilling the 8 holes, but when you see the closeup of the pipes, you will easily see what was done. http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=2170.0

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Medic1210 for the great video on the stock exhaust mod. Wasn't sure if I wanted to try it but it looks a lot easier than it sounded in all the posts about it. Appreciate you taking the time to video your mod so we all could see how it was done. Have you since tried to get to the 3rd baffle plate? Just curious as to whether it made difference if you did. Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
696 Posts
z281982 said:
HardKrome has theirs out now.
this is new news... cause last i checked with Hal they were not out yet.... can you please reveal your source of this great info?...mjm

·
Registered
297 Posts
aceventura said:
this is new news... cause last i checked with Hal they were not out yet.... can you please reveal your source of this great info?...mjm
I was out at a new retailer that just sells new accessories and used bikes yesterday. I jokingly asked about an exhaust system for the 109. He went to get the catalog all well knowing he was going to get the Cobra book. He comes back with HardKrome showing me 2 into 2 and 2 into 1. I couldn't believe it. The price was salty at $645.00 but its an option. I came home to get on Kromes site. Nothing. So check the catalog.

G

·
Being in a catalog and being available are two different things though, I thought they still had nothing out ... but I'm wrong often :joke:

·
Registered
696 Posts
z281982 said:
I was out at a new retailer that just sells new accessories and used bikes yesterday. I jokingly asked about an exhaust system for the 109. He went to get the catalog all well knowing he was going to get the Cobra book. He comes back with HardKrome showing me 2 into 2 and 2 into 1. I couldn't believe it. The price was salty at $645.00 but its an option. I came home to get on Kromes site. Nothing. So check the catalog.
Hey Hal.. care to junp in here and set us st8.... tia...mjm

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
z281982 said:
He comes back with HardKrome showing me 2 into 2 and 2 into 1. I couldn't believe it. The price was salty at $645.00 but its an option.
Yeah, they were listed in the catalogue back when I bought mine in early June. Being in the catalogue does not mean they are actually available.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
CheriM109R said:
Thanks Medic1210 for the great video on the stock exhaust mod. Wasn't sure if I wanted to try it but it looks a lot easier than it sounded in all the posts about it. Appreciate you taking the time to video your mod so we all could see how it was done. Have you since tried to get to the 3rd baffle plate? Just curious as to whether it made difference if you did. Thanks again for the info.
I have not bought another extension to reach the third baffle simply because another fella told me he did it, and saw no noticeable difference in the sound as opposed to having only two walls drilled.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Medic1210 said:
Yeah, they were listed in the catalogue back when I bought mine in early June. Being in the catalogue does not mean they are actually available.
objects in the (mirror) catalog.... may be farther away than they apprear... mjm

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The bad about a 1st year model production bike is the waiting I guess for all the aftermarket people to get to work. Just seems like the Rockets have their parts before the bike hits the dealers. I kinda like the Morton turn down exhaust but am sure it's louder than I'd care for not to mention everyone in my neighborhood when I leave for work at 3:30 in the morning. Added a link to mean cycles in case you haven't seen them before although it was attached to another members post awhile ago. http://www.meancycles.com/Home.asp?BikeType=Cruiser&BikeModelID=5759
Still leaning toward the stock exhaust mod now atleast until more aftermarket pipes start to show up. Thanks again for all the input guys. I knew you were a class act, but then again anyone with a M109R has to have class!!!!

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Medic1210 said:
Since you don't necessarily want louder, but rather deeper, and since you really like the look of the stock pipes, why not try the stock pipe mod that many have done here? It consists of drilling 8 or so holes in the ends of the pipes and then taking a 1 1/4" hole saw down the middle of the inner pipes and drilling out the baffle walls. This opens them up and makes them sound much more throaty and deep. Very pleasant to the ear, yet not loud enough to make people that ride behind you hate you. This is a very easy mod, as well as much cheaper than new pipes. It also lets you keep the stock pipe look, which personally, I think Suzuki nailed.

Here's a link to the How-To thread where I made a video of me cutting out the inner walls. It will give you an idea of the sound. Unfortunately, I didn't make a video of me drilling the 8 holes, but when you see the closeup of the pipes, you will easily see what was done. http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=2170.0
I started with just the first 2 baffles on the inside. This is by far the easiest part of this. I think it sounds great!!!
I have only heard the other mods online which helps but may not be exact.
If you start with just the inside you might want more, but you will neve wish you had not done it.
Also, there is almost no way to know they were changed.

Sledzep

G

·
ppridgen1 said:
http://media.putfile.com/perrys-jr-pipe-mod-video Â
this is the JR drag pack pipe. you'll not only love the sound but really love how it wakes up your bike
It also makes little girls scream. Anyhow, quick question for Perry and/or JR about the track/pack exhaust mod. I know this mod does without the SET valve in the exhaust. Is there a reason to eliminate the SET?. I know BIG has done a similar mod but kept the SET intact. Any arguments for or against the SET in this type of mod? Just curious.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
J R said:
Screw the SET valve....
LOL, short and to the point. Still, I think the guy maybe wanted a little more input on why you wanna perform lewd acts to the SET valve... :joke: :p

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Hey JR, since the post about the bike knocking with the JSD and the possibility that the bike runs so close to the edge in stock form, have you run the dyno with a knock sensor to see if you are having any detonation issues yet?

G

·
Medic1210 said:
LOL, short and to the point. Still, I think the guy maybe wanted a little more input on why you wanna perform lewd acts to the SET valve... :joke: :p
Thanks Medic and thanks JR. That's all I wanted to know. This site rocks. JR, you are a wonderful man and have a beautiful wife. Godspeed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts