M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'Day blokes,
I'm in the planning stages of buying a M109R, hence I have joined this site. I was wondering how the bike feels on long rides.
Living downunder we have vast lands to explore and a typical ride is about 600 miles, so how is it in the saddle

Currently I ride a 2006 C50 set up with Lindby bars and Tomstone back pack so I just kick back and enjoy the ride (I love the C50, best in its class - had a sporty, V-star and Honda before this one) but when I saw the M109R I jsut fell in love with it.

In Victoria where I live there are only 8 up for sale at this stage so I have to make up my mind fast, so any feed back on long rides would be great.

Cheers
Podman

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
The most I've done in a day is a little over 300 miles. Feels about the same as any bike after 300 miles. ;) I would say go for it mate. :doorag:

Oh and :welcome: to the site. 8)

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Had a 180 mile jaunt yesterday and no problems. Just a short stop for gas so I was in the saddle for 2.5 hours. For a stock seat, the 109 is really comfortable. I had a VTX and had a Gel Pad installed by "Butt Busters". Had I kept the X, I would have eventually replaced the stocker with a Mustang.

·
Registered
422 Posts
podman said:
Living downunder we have vast lands to explore and a typical ride is about 600 miles, so how is it in the saddle
Crikey mate 600 miles :yikes:
Typical for whom?
I don't travel that far for my holidays

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feed back guys
Now I have to convince the local dealer to let me take it out for a test run
Apparently as there are only 8 over here we have to buy it before we try it

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aussie109 said:
Crikey mate 600 miles :yikes:
Typical for whom?
I don't travel that far for my holidays
Down here in the south I'm part of a group called the "Bum Busters" whereby we set the course based on the number of full tanks of gas we can use within a given time frame.
Berwick to Mt Hotham to Oemo and bcak within a day - Total 1500 Klm's

What started as a joke is now just a days ride - last year we did 40,000 K's for the season

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
If the saddle is all that concerns your bum, just buy the bike...and some gel to put into it.

Bought a large raw gel pad from Saddlemen/Travelcade last year. All you gotta do is remove the staples holding the cover down. Use an electric carving knife to remove the foam where you want the gel pad installed. Place gel in newly cut hole, and use a medium-to-heavy-duty staple gun to secure the cover back on the seat pan.

I cut my gel pad into two pieces and placed them one on top of the other, so I have a gel surface that is about 5 inches high across the breadth of the seat (about 10-12 inches) and it is about 2 inches thick.

I rode 250 miles on Sunday from Washington, D.C. to Roanoke, VA, and on Monday rode 500 miles from Roanoke, VA to Huntsville, AL. Butt felt fine after both trips. Total riding time: Sunday ~4 hours (lots of traffic), Monday ~7.5 hours.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The change from the C50 to the 109 is phenomenal. I came from a C50 also with no complaints, just complements. One thing you don't have to do, in my opinion, is change the seat. I had to change the C50 seat, it was to painful to ride even for one hour. You'll enjoy the 109, go spend the money, go ride and enjoy.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
ppridgen1 said:
now that i put on a throttle lock and a throttle boss i could ride for a week,had shoulder surgery last year and a wreck on the other shoulder yr before that and it got a little taxing on them but now that i can let go and switch arms , I'm golden :bigthumbsup: :beer2: :welcome:to the site
Yes, I also have a throttle lock. What I hope, is that by the time I can afford a M109R, that since it is fuel injected that somebody has an actual cruise control unit I can buy for it. The problem with the throttle lock is hills. Go up one, you need to adjust it, go down, adjust it again.

Had one straight flat road on a separate trip where I ran 60 miles without an adjustment to the throttle lock. That was sweet.

The guys I rode back with from DC all had HD Ultra Classics with a cruise control (with resume & all that jazz). Sweet bikes but boy are they expensive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts