M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 6' and I have a 2007 M109 and cant get comfortable on any kind of long haul. The dreaded footpegs had to have been engineered for the 5'6 - 5'8 person because I cant see how a sport/cruiser like the M109 could have had been ridden and ok'd by any test rider. Now that I have vented is there a kit or recomend on foot pegs out there that may help? I feel like Im driving down the highway and my knees keep wanting to catch all the air and splay east n west. I LOVE this bike but I find myself dreading anything more than a 40 min trip......did I mention I LOVE this bike?

Also any feedback on recommends on the unbelievably rough shifting of my stock M109. I saw this star kit for $169?....any good?

Thx

Mad Arrow

·
Registered
3,080 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I'm 6' and I have a 2007 M109 and cant get comfortable on any kind of long haul. The dreaded footpegs had to have been engineered for the 5'6 - 5'8 person because I cant see how a sport/cruiser like the M109 could have had been ridden and ok'd by any test rider. Now that I have vented is there a kit or recomend on foot pegs out there that may help? I feel like Im driving down the highway and my knees keep wanting to catch all the air and splay east n west. I LOVE this bike but I find myself dreading anything more than a 40 min trip......did I mention I LOVE this bike?

Also any feedback on recommends on the unbelievably rough shifting of my stock M109. I saw this star kit for $169?....any good?

Thx

Mad Arrow
I'm a little taller than you. I know what you mean. I put pegs on my suzuki engine guards...it works for me. Then you might want to go with the grasshopper backrest. Very comfortable...IMHO. Hope this helps....RIDE SAFE

·
Registered
927 Posts

Thx

Mad Arrow
Hmmmmm...Im 6'4 with a 34 inch inseam. I just got through doing a 10 day 4600+ mile trip with factory seat and pegs and I was fine...You must have some extremely long legs...I Think anyone 5'6-5'8 would actually be fully extended to border line being too short to reach the standard pegs on a M109. I will say that having a windshield on during the trip actually took some of the stress off my legs also...dont know if that makes sense to you but you do use your legs to counter the wind you take to the chest....Ive sat on and rode a few cruisers....and the 109 is perhaps the most comfortable stock cruiser for someone my size that I have sat on.....you should sit on a vrod....felt like I was humping a fat woman sitting on that thing i was so curled up.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Welcome to the Board :bigthumbsup:
I feel your pain on the leg Problem , I have tryed alot of different things, pegs on the highway bars , 2 inch Kuryakyn offset peg adaptors (7936)with the adptors (8808) this did move my legs out but reduced ground clearace ,witch did not work out well ,Right now i have the Kury Iso wings ,kinda like small boards ,they allow some wiggle room for riding postions ,which helps out on long trips , the next thing on my list is to try a taller seat Hink is right the full cut seat helps :bigthumbsup: he just needs a hug today :joke:

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I'm 6' also and run a full cut gel seat with Kuryakyn swing wings they look a little different but work great after you get them adjusted right.I never ride with them folded in.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I'm 6'0" also and first went to the full cut gel seat then the Constellation floorboards. Last weekend I installed the Custom World international Drivers backrest. Now I'm so comfortable I'm afraid I could doze off.:eek:

·
Registered
319 Posts
I came from sportbikes so it feels like I have a mile of room to stretch out in on the 9 in stock position lol i guess it's all perspective. :dontknow:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,078 Posts
:welcome: to the forum and :congrats: on getting a fine bike!

I'm not tall enough to worry about moving the pegs out further, but I've found something else out that helps. Look at the stock peg location and notice it's either level or slanted down slightly. With the width of this bike, your legs are splayed outward, which means you ankles have to turn in to sit flat on the pegs. Not comfortable on the ankles and also tiring on the legs.

Lift your pegs up and slip a piece of plastic or thin metal between the peg and base, so it angles up more. If this works, take the pegs off and drill and tap the base of them for two small bolts. The head of the bolts holds the pegs up at an angle that better match your feet angle, and you can adjust them in or out as needed to make the angle work. I used to get the restless foot thing starting after an hour or so and this stopped that.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
or if you are 1up you can kick out the passenger pegs and kick it sport bike style. that is what i did and i worked pretty well.:bigthumbsup: just a thought.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts

I use these even though I am not that tall, but they adjust to 10 different positions to adjust to most any height. They are the RIVCO adjustable highway mounts.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I'm 6'5" with a 38" inseam. I have the 2" riser extensions, handlebars rotated up and level, full-cut gel seat and Raw Design Forward Controls. I thought I"d like more room, so I made 2 inch peg extensions, but it was too much.

-Josh

·
Registered
488 Posts
I'm 6'8" and 250lbs. When I bought my 9, I too was really cramped. So I bought the Raw Design Forward Controls and they are pricey, but they work great. Plus I get a lot of compliments from other bikers and even other 9'rs. They are worth the cost.

·
Registered
190 Posts

Thx

Mad Arrow
I'm 6'3'' (34'' inseam)and my legs dont cramp up at all.

Dont bother complaining about the rough shifting trans. People will just tell you its in the character of a cruiser to have a shi.tty/clunky shifting trans. I still dont understand why a sport bike smooth trans cant be put in a cruiser.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
6 foot and 34 inch inseam I use the swing pegs also but modified them to be at a comfertable angle when out. when not out I can just rest my boot on the pegs and my legs are out all the way straight ( only on hy-way with the probibility of using the brake at a low margin)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Hmmmmm...Im 6'4 with a 34 inch inseam. I just got through doing a 10 day 4600+ mile trip with factory seat and pegs and I was fine...You must have some extremely long legs...I Think anyone 5'6-5'8 would actually be fully extended to border line being too short to reach the standard pegs on a M109.
:agree: I'm about 5'-10" with the full cut gel seat and it feels like I have forward controls on the bike. I only have a slight bend in my knees with factory pegs and it's a very comfortable forward leg stretch position.

I came from sportbikes so it feels like I have a mile of room to stretch out in on the 9 in stock position lol i guess it's all perspective. :dontknow:
:agree: with you as well. It's all relative and a matter of perspective and what you allow yourself to get used to. I ride my GF HD Streetbob and I feel like I'm riding a mini-bike with my knees in my face and I'm not even a tall guy.

I'm 6'8" and 250lbs. When I bought my 9, I too was really cramped.
:eek:........well duh! Your HUGE!!!! :joke:

Very appropriate screen name I might add as well.

·
Registered
408 Posts

Thx

Mad Arrow
get foot rest extenders, i heard they have some for the m109's but never seen one cause never needed one and i'm 6'4", as for the star kit, got mine instaled by the dealer last week, world of diffrence, i recomend it! :bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts