M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
STORY: I was not on this ride. But my Gixxer friend Kelley was and he was filming the ride right behind the lead biker that went down, who's name is Cal. Kelley along with MikeyV (Lonewolf's son) and three other sportbikers met in Macon, GA and went riding about a week & 1/2 ago. It was an evening ride and then the unthinkable happened. A whitetail buck came running full steam out from a yard and ran right in front of Cal. He hit it head on and layed the bike down. In the video it's hard to see the deer but if you look closely you'll see "something" dart across the road right when you see Cal's brake lights. At the 1:09 mark of the video you can see the deer flipping over on it's side in the left side ditch.

Now we had a little fun with the video ONLY BECAUSE CAL IS OK AND ALSO BECAUSE CAL GAVE THE GO AHEAD TO DO SO!

If you've been riding for more than a couple years you know of someone who's been down or perhaps you've been down yourself so it's no laughing matter at all. This video while lighthearted is also a huge reminder of what can happen to any one of us out on two wheels. Sometimes it doesn't matter how good of a rider you are, sometimes "chit happens" and when your on a bike........you always loose.

But if your geared up correctly you can severly minimize the damage, walk away on your own most of the time, and get back to riding much, much sooner. :doorag:

There's more specific accident infomation and info on how Cal is doing at the end of the video for everyone to read.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Holy out of nowhere Batman!!! Glad to hear is doing well. I would have had to skin him out and make a new jacket or something out of him. At least eat good that night. Need some kind of payback.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Man! He sure is lucky that the guy filming didn't run over him; that would have been messed up! :eek:
I was thinking the same exact thing. That just makes a bad day worse.
On another note glad he is okay, I've had about 4 deer run in front of me about a year ago, luckily I was only going about 40 mph and was able to swerve out of there way.
:bdh: I know its not a deer, buy you's get the point

·
Registered
185 Posts
Wow! That's unbelievable!! I'm glad he's doing ok. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
***INJURY UPDATE***

Good News & Bad News.

Good news is that Cal got to see the video and he approved. :bigthumbsup:

Bad news is he told us the true extent of his injuries tonight which we previously didn't know: 3 Broke Ribs, Bruised Liver, Dislocated Shoulder. :eek:

So I guess it was alittle worse than he originally thought. He'll still be ok but good grief!

·
Registered
319 Posts
this happened to me last oct and when I slid off the road my foot caught the dirt and turned my left foot backwards broke 5 bones glad to hear he is fine. Be watchful!!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Glad Cal do'in OK. I had a deer come up on the side of the road on me a few months ago. Scared the crap out of me. If the deer had decided to step out in front of me, I would have been in the same position as Cal. Glad he's doing ok. Ride safe. 8)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not to hijack, but....

a few years ago I was riding my shovelhead down a 2 lane through the marshes around Cameron Parish, Louisiana. A gator ran into my lane (yes, they can run...FAST) as I was rounding a curve. At the same time a flat bed dually was coming in the other direction.

So, do I hit the gator and go down and have to deal with a pissed off gator while I'm laying in the road busted up, or do I hit the truck and go to my maker? Luckily the truck driver saw what was happening and pushed over far enough for me to squeeze between him and the gator.

Had to pull over I was so shook up. After i was well away from the gator.

Hope Cal recovers completely.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
a few years ago I was riding my shovelhead down a 2 lane through the marshes around Cameron Parish, Louisiana. A gator ran into my lane (yes, they can run...FAST) as I was rounding a curve. At the same time a flat bed dually was coming in the other direction.

So, do I hit the gator and go down and have to deal with a pissed off gator while I'm laying in the road busted up, or do I hit the truck and go to my maker? Luckily the truck driver saw what was happening and pushed over far enough for me to squeeze between him and the gator.

Had to pull over I was so shook up. After i was well away from the gator.

Hope Cal recovers completely.
LOL. That's the first Gator crossing story on a bike I've ever heard. Yeah I could see your deliemma. You'd probably just pi$$ the Gator off when you hit it and it would just grab you by the throat when you went down and go into it's "Death Roll". :eek:

Why can't animals just simply look both ways before crossing :dontknow:.....;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.